PlantFiles: Bottle Palm
Hyophorbe lagenicaulis

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Hyophorbe (hy-oh-FOR-bee) (Info)
Species: lagenicaulis (lag-en-ee-kAW-liss) (Info)

Palms

Partial to Full Shade
Full Shade

Blooms all year

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse
From seed; stratify if sowing indoors
From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel
From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

By IslandJim

Thumbnail #6 of Hyophorbe lagenicaulis by palmbob

Thumbnail #7 of Hyophorbe lagenicaulis by palmbob

Neutral Magdajvr On Aug 20, 2012, Magdajvr from Richards Bay
South Africa wrote:

I'm from South Africa. I planted a bottle palm next to my koi pond. Someone said that this is a mistake becauese the roots will damage my pond. How big is its roots? Will it damage my pond? The palm is more or less 3m tall. Please help.

Positive akaaki On May 12, 2012, akaaki from Hawi, HI wrote:

Here on the Big Island of Hawaii in the North Kohala District about a mile makai of Hawi Town, I have two very nice Bottle Palms and have been extremely happy with them. I came on Dave's Garden to try and determine what one of mine is doing. While reviewing the photos on the website, I found a photo of one that was fruiting, or seeding (?), and it looks like what mine is about to do. Question = Answered. Mahalo.

Neutral emmeye On Apr 17, 2011, emmeye from Houston, TX wrote:

I find that people noted here that this plam has died during the freeze in the Houston area and in Florida state as well. I bought this palm this year and planted it. The person at the store tells that these palm survive outdoors during the freeze if we protect it by taking proper care. He suggested that we cover the plant with cardboard from ground upto the point where the leaves start and put in an electric bulb preferably incandescent bulb inside the cover between the plant and the cardboard cover. When the temperature gets over 35 deg F, the cover may come off and the light as well. The light basically provides heat so that the trunk remains warm enough during the freeze.

Neutral fonsie On Nov 24, 2009, fonsie from vlissingen
Netherlands wrote:

First i want you to know i,am new at this.I started this summer with palms.I bought some seeds in menorca in the summer of 2009.
First i soaked the seeds for 24 hours.
I used a plastic pot and put a layer of 8cm little stones on the bottom.
And coverd it with a mix of sand, seedsoil,normal flowersoil and palmsoil.
Soaked the soil and planted the seed 2 a 3 cm deep on 07-09-09.
And covered the plantpot with a glasplate on top and waited.
On 09-10-09 it came up and i removed the glasplate.
So far so good.

Neutral plantaholique On Nov 3, 2009, plantaholique from Sarasota, FL wrote:

According to a palm expert here in Sarasota, FL at Selby Gardens, there are 2 types of bottle palms- one more hardy than the other. Being unaware of that at the time, I unfortunately bought one that is not that hardy, and here in zone 9b where we had 3 episodes of 29 degrees last winter, even in a protected area with a cover on it, this palm got fried and was very unhappy till about mid-summer. Now, in mid-fall it looks great but in a month and a half it will likely take another hit. I think I will dig it up and put it in my pool cage in a pot where it is several degrees warmer. It is a pretty palm though. I always research before planting now!

Neutral skumix On Oct 17, 2009, skumix wrote:

Hi, I peeked some seeds of the bottle palm from mauritius , and brought them back to Greece...
I would like some tips on how to use them in order to get the palm ...

A local person told me I need to put the in a water cup for 24hs and then plant them...
But how deep ? what soil to use?
Any tips will be appreciated :)

Neutral mtilton On Oct 9, 2009, mtilton from Ada, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

This tree is on the IUCN (International Union for Conservation of Nature) redlist of endangered plants. It is native to Mauritius and is critically endangered. To quote Wikipedia:

While habitat destruction may destroy the last remaining palms in the wild, the survival of the species is assured due to its ubiquitous planting throughout the tropics and subtropics as a specimen plant.

Positive tmccullo On Mar 22, 2008, tmccullo from Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

We have one that we keep in a pot that is about 5 foot tall. It does well here in Houston in full sun. When the temps start falling below 40 degrees I bring it inside. We kept it three months in the house by a widow with great morning sun for the winter and it grew a new frond. This is one of the most fascinating palms I have seen.

Last summer there were several garden centers selling these palms and a neighbor bought a pretty expensive one and planted it in his front yard. We had two days this year where it hit 27 degrees and it appears his poor bottle palm got fried. Sure wish people would investigate a little more before they buy palms that might not make it in this area.

Neutral PrincessJasmine On Nov 30, 2006, PrincessJasmine from Round Rock, TX wrote:

I planted two of these in zone 8b (Round Rock, TX). One has died (I think one of the kids may have damaged it), the other is doing ok. We'll see if we make it past the 1st freeze. This plant was purchased as a 5G. In our very hot summer (temperatures over 100), we watered this plant 6 times per day until established, then cut back to 2 times per day.

Positive timrann On Jan 23, 2006, timrann from Other
Mauritius wrote:

Here it grows very well as of course it is it's native place. Thanks not endangered as the amaricaulis. Sold in almost every nusery in Mauritius or even young seedlings can be found at the base of mature plants. Need 4-6 years to trunk and to form it's bottle form. Seeds also very long to germinate in general 2 months to a year or even more.The fruits are green and with tiny white dots at early stage and goes black when ripe, whereas seeds are very hard, ovoid and grey.

Positive wallaby1 On Nov 15, 2005, wallaby1 from Lincoln
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have to give it positive as so far has defied all knowledge! Sowed 5 seed after 5 days soaking in February 2004, placed in dark cupboard next to fireplace with central heating pump. 1 germinated in 30 days a 2nd slightly later. Placed seedlings in heated propogator till warm weather then in semi-shaded greenhouse in May/June. Watered well, grown in mix of leafy compost, gritty river soil, Irish moss peat. Placed in light south facing (sunny window) shed October 04, suffered 2 Nov/Dec frosts to -6C, brought indoors to dull position around 16C, getting some warmth from nearby radiator in day. The 2nd one rotted when watered a little coming back to growth April, but always had a weaker root. Other 3 germinated February 2005. all strong, kept in light shed over summer brought indoors end October. The 1st one is still alive, hasn't grown much and outer leaves slightly browned but stem slightly fatter, so roots may be developing. Stem quickly develops and is very hard but don't be fooled, good drainage/friable compost essential. I remain optimistic in zone 8 UK, cool 2005 summer often less than 20C. The 3 remaining seeds were put in a sunny greenhouse in shaded propogator (unheated) in 2004 hot summer, temps in greenhouse going to 50C, brought in to cupboard as before Oct 04.

Positive aztropic On May 15, 2005, aztropic from Mesa, AZ wrote:

I've had a couple bottle palms growing outside in a protected area in Mesa,Arizona for 4 years now.The tallest is 7 ft high with only 6 inches of actual wood before the crownshaft.Contrary to popular belief, they seem to be hardier than the spindle palm of which I've killed 1/2 dozen over the years in the same protected area.

Positive Kameha On Apr 15, 2005, Kameha from Kissimmee, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

One of my favorite palms. I do not know how it survives here in Kissimmee but there are several left unprotected throughout my subdivision.

Neutral Kylecawaza On Aug 23, 2004, Kylecawaza from Corte Madera, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

This palm survives the coast of southern California, it is less likley to survive inland.

Positive lovejones On Jul 22, 2004, lovejones from Rialto, CA wrote:

I live in around zone 9b and have a bottle palm growing very well here. I have it outside and it get half day of sun. I live in san bernardino.

Neutral Monocromatico On Oct 22, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

There are some tall specimens (around 6m tall) in the Rio de Janeiro Botanical Garden. They kinda lose the curious bottle looking when they get taller, but still the are beautiful palms.

Positive IslandJim On Aug 16, 2003, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is my favorite palm after, of course, Bismarckia noblis. There is an absolutely stunning one at Edison's house in Ft. Myers. That was the first one i saw and, naturally, had to have one of my own. Thev have classic fronds, similar to those of the adonidia, but with a reddish mid-rib.

Neutral palmbob On Jul 28, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a great looking palm... for the topics. Can't survive here in So Cal except in the most perfect microclimates. Local palm experts often find one of these perfect little spots in their yards, but usually these palms end up getting nearly defoliated each winter and struggle back by the end of summer just to start the torture all over again. They do pretty well in Miami, though and are common garden palms in Hawaii, and the rest of the tropical world.

Mesa, Arizona
Boca Raton, Florida
Bradenton, Florida
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Dunedin, Florida
Jupiter, Florida (2 reports)
Kissimmee, Florida