Tangelo Tree 'Minneola'

Citrus x tangelo

Family: Rutaceae (roo-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Citrus (SIT-rus) (Info)
Species: x tangelo (TAN-jel-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Minneola
Additional cultivar information:(aka Honeybell)
Synonym:Citrus paradisi x reticulata

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

By grafting

Pikesville, Maryland

Humble, Texas

Spring, Texas

On Feb 28, 2015, Flgirl407 from Altamonte Springs, FL wrote:

First i will take some pictures and post. My Honeybell is about 11 yrs old now. This tree is amazing!!!! The fruit most are about the size of a small grapefruit. I like those because this fruit is very, very juicy. So the large fruit makes it easier to peel. Like a tangerine. We get frost here and i water and then let it freeze, the sun melts the ice and it is perfect. otherwise the tree is not bother by the cold. I would say that i get a couple of hundred honeybells off this tree, every year so far it has been the way. I make juice every week and drink and eat the fruit also. This is a fairly big tree so you have to make room for it. It is neighbors with a Meyer lemon, and red naval, and key lime. You cannot go wrong if it grown's well in your area.

On Sep 14, 2013, TRANQU from Royal Palm Beach, FL wrote:

On May 5, 2013, cavalrymedic from Newberry, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

The Minneola most assuredly does grow well in California. Often, the Minneolas in my grocery store are from CA. That said, I have always found the FL Minneolas to be ridiculously juicy. It is my favorite of all citrus. I planted a tree in the yard of my home as a child and when I moved out, the tree was producing 200 and more tangelos the size of grapefruits. That was south Florida. In my home here near Gainesville, my first tree grew very nicely for three years but was ultimately killed two years ago by a freeze that reached 14 degrees and stayed below 32 for 14 days. Which was a record. The foliage was unaffected and I know that I could have easily saved the tree by mounding the trunk before the freeze. But you live, you learn. My newest tree I planted this past fall and it if five feet ... read more

On Jun 4, 2012, RxBenson from Pikesville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

Seven years ago while visiting FL, I had my first honeybell -- and it had seeds! I saved and planted them and have two lovely small trees still -- only four feet tall -- planted together. I almost lost one when it dried out and had to be severely pruned to revive it -- thus its small size today. One single shoot of one plant had only a one-inch nub of stalk/trunk left and looked totally dead for years.... and then sent up a shoot and is thriving. I am still hoping for blossoms, but it is a tub plant here in the northeast and is resting during regular bloom season.

On Dec 4, 2007, jdiaz from Chowchilla, CA wrote:

I have to disagree with the two floridians above. Minneola tangelo does grow well here in california. There are comercial plantations of minneola tangelo throughout the southern and eastern foothills of the San Joaquin Valley in central Cal, and im pretty sure there are other plantations throughout the famed, citrus-growing counties of SoCal. I have a young minneola tangelo that survived our arctic blast of Jan 2007 (temps plummeted into the low 20s for a week) without any protection. It is currently sending out new growth and blooms. Dec 3, 2007. z9 CA

On Oct 24, 2004, Xenomorf from Valley of the Sun, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

Minneola is a cross between 'Bowen' grapefruit & 'Dancy' tangerine.

On Jun 11, 2004, marshtackie from Orlando, FL wrote:

I have twice lost a Minneola tangelo, the second time to a prolonged drought (three years in a row). Forget what happened the first time. I don't mean to suggest that the tangelo is less drought-resistant than an orange: the plant was growing farther from the sprinkler system.

What I particularly like about the Minneola tangelo is its tangy, sprightly flavor. Early in the season I liked the acidic fruit; later in the season, my mother liked the sweeter ones. Everybody happy.

I'll take a tangelo over an orange any old time, especially in Florida. It has a fine-grained flesh, never coarse and yukky. One of its ancestors, the Duncan grapefruit, is regarded far more highly by old-timers than its blander descendants Marsh and Ruby. It is very seedy but flavorful.<... read more

On Oct 18, 2003, Thaumaturgist from Rockledge, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

The Honeybell, with an extremely short season is very unique among all the citrus fruits. It is so unique that it has created a popular niche in the gift fruit market and is most popular for an "eating-out-of-hand" variety. It has also become a popular fruit commercially.

And whats more? The Honeybells do not grow in California but find only the southern Floridas limestone the most conducive for producing good quality crop.

Honeybells are larger than the Tangerines, and have fewer seeds with much of the desirable flavor of the Tangerines. It is about 3" 3 1/2" in diameter with a shape varying from round to somewhat bell shaped, often with a dome at the blossom end. The peel is fairly loose, varying with the variety, and easily removed. The pulp is often ... read more