PlantFiles: Shining Coneflower
Rudbeckia nitida

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Rudbeckia (rud-BEK-ee-a) (Info)
Species: nitida (NI-ti-duh) (Info)

Synonym:Rudbeckia glabra

Thumbnail #2 of Rudbeckia nitida by henryr10

By daryl
Thumbnail #3 of Rudbeckia nitida by daryl

Positive JosieP On Sep 1, 2008, JosieP from Port Hope, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

A beautiful large & tall showy plant. Easy to divide and share with friends.
I am posting this message to inform everyone that these plants to DO NOT produce viable seed! The dark grey long shaped seed exterior (outer shell) is empty inside. They are easy to flatten. I have spent several years studying this plant in many different locations. Not one viable seed found.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't be confused with the other coneflower plant that looks very similar called a 'grey headed' coneflower...with smaller flowers. They have the same seed exterior and color but can produce viable seed. You have to inspect each seed for hardness to detect the seed inside.

Positive Bellisgirl On Feb 8, 2007, Bellisgirl from Spokane, WA wrote:

Hi! This will be my second year growing this plant; I have the "Herbstonne" cultivar. I love it! I planted in partial shade and it grew to about 8ft. tall (almost as tall as my shed)!!!! I guess it grew so tall because it was reaching for the sun. Huge leaves and masses of cheery yellow flowers. My neighbor has his in full sun, and it is not nearly as healthy as mine; his wilts constantly and is barely four ft. tall. Beautiful perennial! Deffinantly recomend it!

Positive digirl On Jun 1, 2006, digirl from Fort Mill, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is a spectacular flower. I've had it for three years and only had trouble with what looked like termites eating thru the canes at the soil level last year. I used a fertilizer with bug killer this year and we'll see how it works once the canes get woody. I've been able to transplant pieces of it very easily but have had no luck getting it to grow from seed. I would love to know how if anyone could help me.
Bev

Positive KatieLovesDogs On Feb 4, 2006, KatieLovesDogs from Indianapolis, IN wrote:

I love this plant. Mine is much taller than the listed size range. It's alomost 6' tall in my garden. Despite its height, I haven't had to stake it. It's a true back of the border workhorse! It does well in hot, dry weather.

Positive saya On Jul 25, 2003, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

Beautifull and very strong. This Rudbeckia has a remarkable resistance to all kind of virusses and critters, weathercircumstances. It tollerates a lot of heat (We've had temps around 35C here in the Netherlands) and it still looks so fresh and healthy. It's blooming now and the blooms do very well in a vase. Love it!

Castro Valley, California