PlantFiles: Woolly Morning Glory, Woodrose, Silver Elephant Creeper, Hawaiian Baby Woodrose
Argyreia nervosa

Family: Convolvulaceae (kon-volv-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Argyreia (ar-GY-ree-uh) (Info)
Species: nervosa (ner-VO-suh) (Info)

Synonym:Argyreia speciosa
Synonym:Convolvulus speciosa

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Medium Blue

Velvet/Fuzzy-Textured

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

From hardwood cuttings

By mgarr
Thumbnail #6 of Argyreia nervosa by mgarr

By raydio
Thumbnail #7 of Argyreia nervosa by raydio

Positive TropicalPam On Jul 30, 2013, TropicalPam from Cooper City, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I bought this plant in Big Pine Key and left it when we moved (should of never done that!!!) It has taken me 8 years to find someone who sells the plant. I bought seeds but the plant I got isn't what is pictured and what I wanted. Then I found this place:

and I got a very nice plant back in April and now its July and the plant is over 11 ft hasn't bloomed yet but I think it will!!!!

To: Texasbloomer I don't know how old the plant was I had in Big pine Key but it bloomed and bloomed for me....maybe it was over a year old..don't know.
I think this is the prettiest vine EVER!!!!!

Positive leita On Sep 12, 2010, leita from Rockport, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I love this vine. I snipped a piece off one growing in the garden where my husband and I were married a couple years ago. I put the snip in a pot and it grew slowly until a wicked frost killed it. There was a seed on the stem so I plucked it off, pushed it in the pot and forgot about it. A few months after mama plant died the seed started growing! At first was a slow grower, taking a few months to grow just a couple feet. Today, about five months after transplanting from pot to under an oak tree, it has wound its way up to the top and trying to reach for the tree next door. No flowers yet, but based on what I've read it should be blooming next year. I can't wait. :)

Neutral giftgas On Feb 27, 2009, giftgas from Everson, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Challenging to grow indoors, but it is possible. I grew this when I lived in Guam, and it was a fantastic and easy to grow plant in that environment.

The seeds of this plant contain the highest concentrations of LSA of any plant out there. If you're thinking about trying to purchase some of these seeds for recreational purposes, I would NOT recommend it. Just because a drug is obtained from an organic source, doesn't mean that it's safe. You can loose your mind FOREVER, or DIE if you abuse this plant.

Positive Itheus On May 29, 2008, Itheus from Portland, ME wrote:

I don't think it does actually bloom the first season, although I can't remember where I read that. I know it needs a lot of rootspace to flower, also.

Neutral Texasbloomer On Sep 18, 2005, Texasbloomer from Plano, TX wrote:

Wonderful vine/foliage.
6 mo. old and huge.
But...where are the flowers?
Do they not bloom the first year?
What does one do w/this vine over a mild winter (mid-Tx)
Thanks!

Positive Monocromatico On Aug 18, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

I know only one plant of this species growing here in Rio de Janeiro. It looks great, with contrasting green/silver leaves, veined leaves. The flowers are a plus, but not really the main feature to me.

Positive Watcher93 On Feb 16, 2003, Watcher93 wrote:

The cylindrical root oozes active latex when cut. In Ayurvedic (Hindu) medicine, the plant is deemed a valuable general antiseptic. The leaves are used in native medicine as poultices, &c. The roots and seeds of have been used as a support of the nervous system, a geriatric tonic and mild aphrodisiac (probably due to the lysergic acid). The whole plant is reported to have purifying properties. It is also taken to help maintain healthy joints.

Positive Chamma On Dec 17, 2002, Chamma from Tennille, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Arygeria nervosa, from India, grows to over 25 feet. The foot-wide dark green leaves are white underneath. The floweeers look much like other impomoea species. The vine is beautiful to grow just for the leaves --look very tropical.

Scottsdale, Arizona