Strawberry Tree 'Marina'

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Arbutus (ar-BYOO-tus) (Info)
Cultivar: Marina

Pale Pink

Late Fall/Early Winter

Mid Winter

4.5 or below (very acidic)

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

8.6 to 9.0 (strongly alkaline)

over 9.1 (very alkaline)

Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked

Calabasas, California

Winchester, California

Seneca, South Carolina

Belton, Texas

On May 13, 2012, newgreenguy wrote:

This is a very beautiful tree. Though I don't personally have it (wish i had the room for it..), I have admired it for quite some time. I guess the definition of "small" depends on the size of your lot because I have seen these get 30+ft which though small for a tree is fairly large for most yards here in SoCal. I prefer the multitruk, but the single trunk also looks good.

On Oct 10, 2008, Jungleman from Pasadena, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is a choice garden tree. The beauty of it is unparalleled - pretty flowers, berries that attract birds, lush broadleaved evergreen appearance, picturesque red peeling bark, and a gnarled trunk appearance with some age. It is tolerant of many soils and can take water, or live with minimal irrigation - as you please.

I feel it is at it's best when some of the interior branches are pruned out to allow it to develop either a multiple trunk, or a standard, with an open broad canopy. By keeping the branching more open, you really show the trunk off to maximum effect.

It is not particularly expensive, and is showing up in more and more nurseries. I look forward to this being planted more often - it deserves to be, especially as a well-behaved street tree.

On Jun 21, 2007, Redtootsiepop from Livermore, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I adore this tree (as do the birds) absolutely beautiful berries (late Fall here). Year round it looks fantastic, but the berries are my favorite - the robins love them, too.

On Jun 20, 2007, ebough from Los Altos, CA wrote:

This is a very elegant small tree. The canopy is evergreen with a variegated appearance and the trunk is a striking reddish brown. It tolerates both lawn watering and drought. Always important in California, it is resistant to oak-root fungus. What's not to like?