Aluminum Plant, Watermelon Plant
Pilea cadierei

Family: Urticaceae
Genus: Pilea (py-LEE-uh) (Info)
Species: cadierei (kad-ee-AIR-eye) (Info)

Partial to Full Shade

Lilburn, Georgia

Volcano, Hawaii

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Branch, Louisiana

Covington, Louisiana (2 reports)

Kenner, Louisiana

New Orleans, Louisiana

Brevard, North Carolina

San Marcos, Texas

Arlington, Virginia

On Nov 28, 2011, FairEGodmother from Covington, LA wrote:

I have this in a north facing flower bed. It may die down during the dead of winter, but comes back happy every year. I really don't do anything with it as a rule, but if I pay a little attention to it, it shines.

On Jun 9, 2010, amscram from Baton Rouge, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Some years ago I planted some P. cadierei in the ground under taller plants for visual interest and have been amazed at how cold hardy this houseplant is. Last winter we had three consecutive nights of 19-20 degree temps and although the plants were knocked back quite a bit, they survived and are doing just fine.

On Feb 9, 2009, Blubaby from Arlington, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I found this interesting-looking little plant (well, it was little -- six inches high -- when I brought it home!) over a year ago, and it has grown to over two feet high. I keep the soil moist, but even if it dries out the plant can handle it. It loves the light in my kitchen (never direct sunlight) and is happy with the environment in there as well. We've never seen any blooms, though.

On Nov 7, 2007, janidob from San Marcos, TX wrote:

I received a cutting of this plant from my neighbor who has had it for 25 years. The cuttings root easliy by just sticking them in any dirt. Her plant is in total shade and still blooms profusedly when the weather gets cooler (Oct. - Dec). I have mine in partial shade and it is fine. I don't plan to bring it in for winter!

On Jun 16, 2006, Pashta from Moncks Corner, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

easy to grow in a low/medium light environment with consistantly moist soil. makes a nice houseplant.

On Aug 23, 2004, HortiStudent from West Lafayette, IN wrote:

Many questions left unanswered on your website about this plant can be found @ hort.ifas.ufl.edu/shrubs/PILCADA.PDF. This site includes the blooming time, and the soil pH preference. I joined just to let you know! Enjoy this fun and exotic plant :)

On Jan 4, 2004, nipajo from Dallas, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

For me it has always blooms when the weather turns a little cooler here in Dallas,Tx.. Sometimes I bring it in and keep the room very cool and the plant has bloomed there as well.
So I would say that the plant blooms in the winter.

On Jul 25, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

Its an easy grower in humid, hot places, on moist organic soils. The leaves are beautiful, and even the tiny flowers can be apreciated

On Jul 25, 2003, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant does well in moist, shady areas of our yard in central Florida. It roots easily. Heavy frost may burn the top, but it will come out again very quickly. The blooms are insignificant, but the foliage is striking.