Nerve Plant, Mosaic Plant, Painted Net-Leaf, Painted-Net Leaf, Silver-Net Leaf
Fittonia albivenis

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Fittonia (fit-TOH-neeuh) (Info)
Species: albivenis (al-bih-VEN-iss) (Info)
Synonym:Fittonia argyroneura

Lexington, South Carolina

Boerne, Texas

Richmond, Virginia

On May 5, 2009, catevala from Spokane, WA wrote:

I found a nice specimen of this plant yesterday at a local nursery. The newer leaves on it were what to my eye looks like sunburn. That is the leaves had some areas that were basically white with no coloration. I am waiting to see what the newer leaves look like once they have grown im my conditions.

Judging from the previous posters' references to "fainting" I think that it is too much light; at least I hope so! I'd like my plant to "straighten up and fly right"!

Mine will be grown in a terrarium, where it should be right at home. I do know that the roots are very delicate and fibrous and need to have a very friable soil in which to spread and grow.

On Mar 3, 2009, atm1 from Detroit, MI wrote:

This is a nice plant to have if you don't mind a plant you need to keep "moist" and pretty much babysit. I had mine "faint" on me one time too many--the last time it did NOT recover! Also they do become scraggly if not maintained. Very pretty, but not a plant for a busy person.

On Nov 30, 2008, emw121199 from Bronx, NY wrote:

I bought mine at the NY Botanical Gardens for a reasonable price. It has "fainted" on me many times, despite my best efforts to water before it gets to this stage. Heavy sun causes fainting, and I have found this plant does best for me in medium light. I have it 8 feet back from a partially obstructed south window; my only complaint is that it is growing in a sort of a big raggedy mess - I should probably prune. I water 2-3 times a week, even now in winter. Mine is dark green with white veins and small leaves, very lovely. I recently picked up a much smaller one in a 4" pot with larger leaves but the same coloring - it is doing very well, and I plan to buy a few more soon. Not a good plant if you don't like to water frequently.

On Aug 28, 2007, cruz4him from Toronto, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

I'm a newbie at keeping plants (I'm a struggling-to-recover gangrene thumb!) and my fittonia is growing under filtered flourescent light at the office.

I got this plant in May at Home Depot but it's only been in the last 2 weeks that I've been taking better care of it, misting it several times a day to get the humidity levels up.

After looking at the photos on this site, I noticed that my leaves aren't nice and flat, most are curling in around the edges.

Am I doing something wrong? I think the leaves have more or less been this way since I first got the plant.

On May 6, 2006, marie516 from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

I love this beautiful little plant! One issue-- for some reason mine has a much more flattened, sprawling form than any in the photos. It looks like it wants to either climb or spread out as a ground cover, which is a problem since it's in a pot on my desk!

On Jan 9, 2005, kniphofia from Morpeth
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

There are around 15 varieties of this plant available now, some having beautiful pink veined leaves. I have a lovely 'Juanita' specimen which I inherited from a work colleague. She'd had 2 weeks vacation during which time her co-workers hadn't watered it and it was literally 3 sticks stuck in the soil. Now it is flourishing.

On Dec 2, 2004, Ulrich from Manhattan Beach, CA (Zone 11) wrote:

Of the various varieties 'argyroneura' is silver-veined.

On Nov 7, 2003, frigid75 from Reno, NV (Zone 6a) wrote:

Moist being the operative word. They are nice and lush-looking as long as they're happy. If they get even a bit dried out they tend to "faint" though. Luckily, if you catch it fainting a bit of water restores it straight away. I got mine half price at the hardware store because it was totally limp in the pot. I could tell it was fine because the leaves were all still a lovely dark green.

It spruced up magnificently and I now keep it in a violet pot. Those kind of pots give it adequate moisture (most of the time) without making it soggy.

On Feb 3, 2003, vroomp from Marietta, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

These easy to grow tropicals make for a little interest in ground cover. Easily propagated, they are deffinatly a conversation piece in any garden. I have both varieties of this plant which are red or green leaves. I use mine as ground cover for spring through summer. Not being hardy, I winter them in the greenhouse. Placed in pots it makes a wonderful house plant, if kept moist and in medium light