PlantFiles: Nerve Plant, Mosaic Plant, Painted Net-Leaf, Painted-Net Leaf, Silver-Net Leaf
Fittonia albivenis

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Fittonia (fit-TOH-neeuh) (Info)
Species: albivenis (al-bih-VEN-iss) (Info)

Synonym:Fittonia argyroneura

Thumbnail #6 of Fittonia albivenis by Eliza

By frigid75
Thumbnail #7 of Fittonia albivenis by frigid75

Neutral catevala On May 5, 2009, catevala from Spokane, WA wrote:

I found a nice specimen of this plant yesterday at a local nursery. The newer leaves on it were what to my eye looks like sunburn. That is the leaves had some areas that were basically white with no coloration. I am waiting to see what the newer leaves look like once they have grown im my conditions.

Judging from the previous posters' references to "fainting" I think that it is too much light; at least I hope so! I'd like my plant to "straighten up and fly right"!

Mine will be grown in a terrarium, where it should be right at home. I do know that the roots are very delicate and fibrous and need to have a very friable soil in which to spread and grow.

Neutral atm1 On Mar 3, 2009, atm1 from Detroit, MI wrote:

This is a nice plant to have if you don't mind a plant you need to keep "moist" and pretty much babysit. I had mine "faint" on me one time too many--the last time it did NOT recover! Also they do become scraggly if not maintained. Very pretty, but not a plant for a busy person.

Positive emw121199 On Nov 30, 2008, emw121199 from Bronx, NY wrote:

I bought mine at the NY Botanical Gardens for a reasonable price. It has "fainted" on me many times, despite my best efforts to water before it gets to this stage. Heavy sun causes fainting, and I have found this plant does best for me in medium light. I have it 8 feet back from a partially obstructed south window; my only complaint is that it is growing in a sort of a big raggedy mess - I should probably prune. I water 2-3 times a week, even now in winter. Mine is dark green with white veins and small leaves, very lovely. I recently picked up a much smaller one in a 4" pot with larger leaves but the same coloring - it is doing very well, and I plan to buy a few more soon. Not a good plant if you don't like to water frequently.

Neutral cruz4him On Aug 28, 2007, cruz4him from Toronto, ON (Zone 6a) wrote:

I'm a newbie at keeping plants (I'm a struggling-to-recover gangrene thumb!) and my fittonia is growing under filtered flourescent light at the office.

I got this plant in May at Home Depot but it's only been in the last 2 weeks that I've been taking better care of it, misting it several times a day to get the humidity levels up.

After looking at the photos on this site, I noticed that my leaves aren't nice and flat, most are curling in around the edges.

Am I doing something wrong? I think the leaves have more or less been this way since I first got the plant.

Positive marie516 On May 6, 2006, marie516 from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

I love this beautiful little plant! One issue-- for some reason mine has a much more flattened, sprawling form than any in the photos. It looks like it wants to either climb or spread out as a ground cover, which is a problem since it's in a pot on my desk!

Positive kniphofia On Jan 9, 2005, kniphofia from Morpeth
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

There are around 15 varieties of this plant available now, some having beautiful pink veined leaves. I have a lovely 'Juanita' specimen which I inherited from a work colleague. She'd had 2 weeks vacation during which time her co-workers hadn't watered it and it was literally 3 sticks stuck in the soil. Now it is flourishing.

Neutral Ulrich On Dec 2, 2004, Ulrich from Manhattan Beach, CA (Zone 11) wrote:

Of the various varieties 'argyroneura' is silver-veined.

Positive frigid75 On Nov 7, 2003, frigid75 from Reno, NV (Zone 6a) wrote:

Moist being the operative word. They are nice and lush-looking as long as they're happy. If they get even a bit dried out they tend to "faint" though. Luckily, if you catch it fainting a bit of water restores it straight away. I got mine half price at the hardware store because it was totally limp in the pot. I could tell it was fine because the leaves were all still a lovely dark green.

It spruced up magnificently and I now keep it in a violet pot. Those kind of pots give it adequate moisture (most of the time) without making it soggy.

Positive vroomp On Feb 3, 2003, vroomp from Marietta, GA (Zone 7a) wrote:

These easy to grow tropicals make for a little interest in ground cover. Easily propagated, they are deffinatly a conversation piece in any garden. I have both varieties of this plant which are red or green leaves. I use mine as ground cover for spring through summer. Not being hardy, I winter them in the greenhouse. Placed in pots it makes a wonderful house plant, if kept moist and in medium light

Mountain Home, Arkansas