Dollar Plant, Jade Plant, Jade Tree, Money Tree, Finger Jade
Crassula ovata 'Gollum'

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crassula (KRASS-oo-la) (Info)
Species: ovata (oh-VAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Gollum
Additional cultivar information:(aka Convoluta, Convoluta Gollum)
Synonym:Crassula convoluta
Synonym:Crassula portulacea
Synonym:Crassula argentea

Cactus and Succulents

Late Fall/Early Winter

Mid Winter

From leaf cuttings

From hardwood cuttings

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Florala, Alabama

Phoenix, Arizona (3 reports)

Marion, Arkansas

Venice, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida

Thomasville, Georgia

Demotte, Indiana

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)

Metairie, Louisiana

Clinton, Mississippi

Picayune, Mississippi

Cleveland, Ohio

Duncan, Oklahoma

Altoona, Pennsylvania

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Bedford, Texas

Lockhart, Texas

San Marcos, Texas

Spring Branch, Texas

negative

On Jul 6, 2014, Shigeru wrote:

I have one that's a year old now and doing well. The main thing is not to water it too much. If you start to see leaves drop off that's a good indication, in my experience, that it's getting too much water.

I almost lost it before I got a feel for how much water it needed, and watering from the bottom in small amounts brought it back for me.

On May 23, 2013, Centaurea from Almere
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

Overall positive, because I like the weirdness of this plant. I've had mine several years and last year it developed some sort of fungus that strangled the main stems. There were three and as I watched them die one by one I decided to take cuttings from the top to try to save some. Those are doing great and are now well rooted. If I have to repeat this cycle it may be worth it, but for now I'm growing it in a VERY well draining medium and I'm looking into non-toxic things to give it that might prevent another killer issue.

On Jun 4, 2012, pweakley from Pasadena, CA wrote:

I was just looking around the internet and am glad to find out what this curious looking plant is called.

I had been diagnosed with cancer in October 2010 and took a branch off a plant that was growing outside my apartment building here in Pasadena. I planted it in a pot as a way of promising myself that I would survive this crises in my life.

Now more than a year and a half later both plant and I are doing fine.

On Feb 8, 2012, morrigan from Craryville, NY wrote:

I just received a nice specimen, but it came by mail with no "hot hands" inside the box!! Is it possible it will die now? Our temps here today are around 30F; it was packed inside the box with tissue paper, and lots of plastic pillow and bubble wrap. It was pretty cold when we got it in (about 30 min to an hour after delivery - stupid postperson did not bring it to the door!). If anyone can advise, I'd really appreciate it - email at myspiritdogs@yahoo.com. Thanks!

On Oct 26, 2011, zwerfkei from Deventer
Netherlands wrote:

- Very easy to grow: i have not seen any disease over 10 years. It grows fast to a huge and thick leaved bonsai-like mini-tree.
- Very frost sensitive: the slightest frost kills it.(-1/-2) It will loose rigidity in a few hours after defreezing and does not recover. In winter i place it inside.
- To much rain will stop the growth and make the foliage less thick. The plant has to recover, the soil must get dry. In rainy season i cover the plant with foil
- Needs light when staying inside. In winter time some of the leaves wrinkle and get brown, then fall off because of lack of light and inhouse-climate.

- I do not agree with calling this a slow grower. The plants i have grow about 10cm in height each year, and in volume they double each year. In 5 years th... read more

On Sep 12, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I have two pieces of this cool plant I had one person give me a piece naming as Gullum and another gift as E. T.'s fingers...Look similar will post more when I have more experience.

On May 4, 2011, Dr_DJ from Berlin
Germany wrote:

hiya,

I have two of these living together in a pot here in Berlin. I bought them as very small trees in 2002 in Germany and it is about 25-30 cm tall now 9 years later. Basically it has been an indoor plant but I now have a big terrace and it is spending time outdoors more. I am curious to see if it grows better. I have only repotted it once.... some of the branches have started to hang low, and i was wondering if i should trim them....?

On Jan 17, 2011, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have only grown this plant outdoors (live in Southern California) so I have little to add about indoor life, or life where it gets below freezing. It is one of the easiest of all the succulents to grow, though all the Crassula ovatas are similarly easy. This one tends to be a bit slower than the non-monstrose foms, and takes a long time to become a huge shrub... mine rarely make it over 5' tall without limbs sagging or breaking off. It does best in all day sun here... if grown in too much shade trunks and branches are too weak to support as much growth, and it eventually falls over and just wilts to the ground, until pruned heavily... then it recovers.

This plant, like all the C ovatas, has tremendous latitude when it comes to watering (remember, this is outdoors)...... read more

On Jan 17, 2011, Plantapotamus from Huntsville, AL wrote:

Here's a super easy indoor bonsai plant. Loves a lot of light but will do well in very low light as long as its kept on the dry side.
Don't water the leaves in a low light environment or during the winter. Personally, I never water them, except if they appear very dusty.
This plant will not stand to freeze, and will often linger a slow death if let to freeze: a plant with freeze damage is real prone to rot.
The bottom leaves on the plant will shrivel or prune a little when it's really thirsty. In extreme thirst bottom leaves will turn yellow and die.
Keep it dry during the winter-- as will many tropicals and cacti -- winter= dry season. this means fewer waterings and less water too.
This plant doesn't mind being potbound too much at all-- of course t... read more

On Oct 24, 2008, BlissfulGarden from Baton Rouge, LA wrote:

From http://www.cactuscollection.com:

Crassula argentea cv. 'Gollum' is considered to be a monstrose form of the popular jade plant (Crassula argentea). The leaves, unlike the flattened leaves of regular Jade, form odd tubular, lime green "fingers". The tip of the leaf is flared, but depressed in the center and often a brilliant, translucent red. Excellent as patio plant or landscape plant. With its red-tipped fingers atop a thick, gnarly trunk "Gollum" is also a great bonsai subject. The jade plant is a popular subject for bonsai training due to the inherent gnarly character of the thickened trunk and the ease with which it can be pruned and trained. In the case of "Gollum", the red-tipped "fingers... read more

On Sep 7, 2008, pford1854 from Marion, AR (Zone 7b) wrote:

from Plant Label:
Finger Jade var. Gollum
Native to South Africa. Considered to be a monstrose form of the jade plant. White star shapped flowers in Winter. Porous soil with adequate drainage. Bright light to full sun. Protect from frost. Provide bright light/sun; hardy to 36F; to 4' tall. Water thoroughly when soil is dry.
CactusCollection.com

On Apr 22, 2007, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

I've always heard this plant called "ET's Fingers." But whatever, it's a nice variation on the jade. Easy to grow and keep.

On Apr 9, 2007, Kenotia from Bedford, TX wrote:

Slow grower, but loves to be ignored and makes an interesting addition to a succulent collection. Don't over-pot, or the dirt can stagnate and the roots will rot. Loves shallow pots and lots of sun, but mushes if it gets too cold or is overwatered. Offsets freely - I started with a small plant and now have 4 or 5 growing happily together.

On Feb 9, 2007, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Unusual Crassula to say the least. I have had mine for a few years now always outdoors in a shallow clay pot. That was one mistake since in our dry summers they tend to need frequent watering. Also,mine is never the green as the ones in the photos.Mine is reddish tinged with light green in full sun. Slow growers, i once saw a 24" plant for $100 at a succulent show.It did have that Bonsai small tree form.
This Januarys great California freeze brought temps down to 30F more or less for about a week. So far that has resulted in a few killed branches but otherwise it looks good. It's about 16" X16" and looks to be a long term plant.

On Jun 28, 2004, jhyshark from Scottville, MI (Zone 4b) wrote:

I just love the way this looks in my rock garden, but I have to bring it inside in the winter. It didn't do well inside this year, but I found some more babies for sale at Wal-Mart of all places, so they are now in the garden for this summer.

On May 21, 2004, stacv from Clarks Summit, PA wrote:

I was given a spoon jade plant for Christmas, it did fine until I repotted it last weekend, the leaves are all falling off & they look shriveled up, can someone tell me what could have happend

On Aug 5, 2003, Laural from Madison, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Have this as both ornamentals and as a bonsai. Very nice plant, very forgiving. Not cold hardy in zone 7. Must over-winter in greenhouse or indoors (with lots of light). Propagates very easily.

On Nov 10, 2002, tchessie from Elk Grove, CA wrote:

I believe this is this plant I have as well. It propogates very easily- often leaves fallen/broken off will self-sow at the base. This plant does flower- mine has set buds for the first time. They appear small and white in clusters, with pink stamen. I have a mature plant (about 7 years old) and it has been outside since early spring in a spot that gets morning sun. (zone 8-9)

On Nov 9, 2002, mep wrote:

A good plant, in all, but very frost sensative. I put mine out too early this year and, as it's a slow grower, it'll probably take a year or two to recover. Ah, well.

On Jun 16, 2002, Wally from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Also known as Hobbit's Pipe Jade.

On Jul 12, 2001, Briggs from Gillett, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

It is an erect, sparingly branched succulent. The trumpet shaped leaves are 4-ranked (decussate), smooth and shiny, deep green in color with very light spotting. No known flowers at this time. Picture to follow at a later time.