Kangaroo Paw, Cat's Paw
Anigozanthos 'Bush Garnet'

Family: Haemodoraceae
Genus: Anigozanthos (an-ih-go-ZAN-thos) (Info)
Cultivar: Bush Garnet

Papaaloa, Hawaii

New York City, New York

Mesquite, Texas

On Aug 23, 2011, FlaFlower from Miami Dade, FL (Zone 11) wrote:

Very expensive as an annual here in Florida once it starts to rain it starts to wither and then faster than it arrived it is gone. Tried them 2 years in a row to much money $10-$12 a 10 inch pot for about 4 weeks of performance, the cheap ones far out perform this.

On Aug 22, 2011, gardenerCarol from Thousand Oaks, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

This is a very dramatic plant in bloom, particularly with a mass of them. Too much water will kill it faster than anything. Great in pots for that reason. If planting in the ground set the crown a bit above the ground level to avoid any drainage issues. Otherwise it's almost maintenance free.

On Aug 22, 2011, rpj from Sebastian, FL wrote:

Although it can grow in south Florida I had a tough time once the rainy season got here. No matter what I tried it seemed to get to much water.

On Aug 22, 2011, pbyrley from Port St Lucie (+ Wk For), FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I would like to see Dave's garden do more to establish the lack of danger of these recent imports before "advertising" them so heavily.

We don't need more honeysuckle, maleuca, Brazilian pepper, etc rampaging across vast areas of the countryside.

On Aug 22, 2011, Lisianne from Bowling Green, OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love the texture and shape of this plant which I have purchased several consecutive years. However, I've had poor luck with getting it to bloom. I've tried it in pots as a container plant, in a long windowbox, in the ground. In full sun and part sun. I have successfully overwintered it in my sunroom, but it has never rebloomed after that. I must be doing something wrong!

On Apr 2, 2005, rwc_gardener from Fresno, CA wrote:

Easy to maintain. Adds lots of color, height, and texture to the garden. Great for cuttings.

On Jul 5, 2004, hekdek from Columbus, OH wrote:

In Ohio I am using it as a patio plant, it is very interesting and easy to care for. I am hoping to overwinter it inside