PlantFiles: Lavender Orchid Vine, Blue Orchid Vine
Mascagnia lilacina

Family: Malpighiaceae
Genus: Mascagnia (mas-KAYN-ee-a) (Info)
Species: lilacina (ly-las-SY-nuh) (Info)

Violet/Lavender

By seedpicker_TX
Thumbnail #1 of Mascagnia lilacina by seedpicker_TX

By QueenB
Thumbnail #2 of Mascagnia lilacina by QueenB

By nifty413
Thumbnail #3 of Mascagnia lilacina by nifty413

Positive poeciliopsis On Mar 17, 2015, poeciliopsis from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Central Phoenix -- The Mascagnia lilacina in my yard is growing at the base of a 10+ foot foothills palo verde. The stems going up are bare and only in the top of the palo verde are there Mascagnia leaves. It is usually inconspicuous, but in the fall it flowers profusely and it looks very odd -- why is that foothills palo verde blooming in the fall and why on earth are the blossoms purple! The Mascagnia does send out long snaking shoots across the ground, but they are easily removed and I haven't had a problem with the shoots rooting. Of course the location is pretty dry which probably helps keep them from rooting, although it is adjacent to a flood irrigation area that gets water every other week March to November.

Neutral Agaveguy On May 19, 2009, Agaveguy from San Antonio, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Beautiful but a bit aggressive. Runs along the ground and through shrubs, rooting along the way. Has caused a severe rash with some people.

Positive QueenB On Jul 28, 2005, QueenB from Shepherd, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought mine in a 3 gal. pot, so it was already fairly large and established. I put it in the ground right after I bought it in March, mulched it, and have kept it well-watered. I've only fertilized it once. To date, it has grown over the top of my arbor and is doubling back on itself, and still growing. I was very surprised when it decided to bloom! The flowers are beautiful, delicate, and fragile. I love this vine!

Positive seedpicker_TX On Oct 11, 2004, seedpicker_TX from (Taylor) Plano, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Decorative perennial vine with even more decorative seed pods. The pods look like butterflies in flight.
Mine blooms in the Fall, and reminds me a great deal of a lavender crepe myrtle bloom. Its leaves are even similar to crepe myrtle leaves...
Sort of a novelty vine, and not at all common. These can be hard to find. This vine is slow growing and non-aggressive.

Fullerton, California