PlantFiles: Lavender Orchid Vine, Blue Orchid Vine
Mascagnia lilacina

Family: Malpighiaceae
Genus: Mascagnia (mas-KAYN-ee-a) (Info)
Species: lilacina (ly-las-SY-nuh) (Info)

Violet/Lavender

By seedpicker_TX
Thumbnail #1 of Mascagnia lilacina by seedpicker_TX

By QueenB
Thumbnail #2 of Mascagnia lilacina by QueenB

By nifty413
Thumbnail #3 of Mascagnia lilacina by nifty413

Neutral Agaveguy On May 19, 2009, Agaveguy from San Antonio, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Beautiful but a bit aggressive. Runs along the ground and through shrubs, rooting along the way. Has caused a severe rash with some people.

Positive QueenB On Jul 28, 2005, QueenB from Shepherd, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought mine in a 3 gal. pot, so it was already fairly large and established. I put it in the ground right after I bought it in March, mulched it, and have kept it well-watered. I've only fertilized it once. To date, it has grown over the top of my arbor and is doubling back on itself, and still growing. I was very surprised when it decided to bloom! The flowers are beautiful, delicate, and fragile. I love this vine!

Positive seedpicker_TX On Oct 11, 2004, seedpicker_TX from (Taylor) Plano, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Decorative perennial vine with even more decorative seed pods. The pods look like butterflies in flight.
Mine blooms in the Fall, and reminds me a great deal of a lavender crepe myrtle bloom. Its leaves are even similar to crepe myrtle leaves...
Sort of a novelty vine, and not at all common. These can be hard to find. This vine is slow growing and non-aggressive.

Fullerton, California