PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Tumbler'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Tumbler

By chuckzom
Thumbnail #5 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by chuckzom

By lycodad
Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by lycodad

Positive BabsERNurse On May 20, 2012, BabsERNurse from Whidbey Island, WA (Zone 7b) wrote:

eweed got me started on Tumblers and I've never turned back. He gave me starts the first year and I've been starting my own seeds for the past 3 years. I can't say enough good about Tumbler. I did notice the section in plant files asking for "Danger". The only danger I know is keeping your friends and family away long enough so you can get some tomatoes from the bush to the table! They are prolific fruiters and quite tasty! I find them easy to raise and have grown them in hanging baskets as well as pots on the deck. One can't "grow wrong" if you want a great cherry tomato by trying the Tumblers.

Positive lycodad On Aug 8, 2010, lycodad from Hornell, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

I had great luck with "Tumbler" grown from seed purchased from Jung's. Grew mine in one gallon plastic pail containers with holes drilled in the bottom for drainage. Used a good quality potting soil with moisture crystals. They drink "a lot" of water, so watch them daily. Plants produces dozens of really delicious half-dollar sized tomatoes. This one is a gem!

Positive lco On Sep 27, 2009, lco from Edmonton

In 2009 I received a plant labeled "Tumbler". It has a strong enough vine to grow up a tower cage, and does very well in a 5 gallon pot if there is sufficient organic matter in the soil. Seedlings should be allowed plenty of root space before transplant, as they tend to grow very quickly to 30 inches tall, then bloom prolificly and set huge trusses of fruit. The plant held attractive foliage all season in Edmonton, AB. Fertilizer and water requirements were the same or less than Silvery Fir Tree and Matina (a much larger vine). It produced more large, tangy red cherries than any other variety I have grown, and they set and ripened steadily all season.

Positive socialworkerbee On Aug 1, 2007, socialworkerbee from Arlington, MA wrote:

I bought this plant in a hanging basket and soon had to transplant it to a self-watering container (placed on a stool) -- it just couldn't get enough water in the hanging basket. This was my FAVORITE tomato grown this year. It produces an abundant crop of delicious, sweetly tangy tomatoes. I really can't say enough about the taste of these cherry tomatoes.

Positive chuckzom On Jun 27, 2006, chuckzom from Indianapolis, IN wrote:

I raised my tumblers from seed for the first time this year (2006) and am extremely pleased with the amount of fruit these produce. Very easy cherry type tomato to grow.

Positive fluffygrue On Jul 9, 2005, fluffygrue from Manchester
United Kingdom (Zone 8a) wrote:

As a newbie to tomato-growing, I'm really chuffed at how easy these are, and it's also nice to have hanging baskets with a purpose. Very easy, and also quite pretty!

Positive sidchu On Dec 31, 2003, sidchu wrote:

We've been growing from seed for past 8 years here in Edmonton Canada. Last year we kept two and gave away to friends 10-12, and have been starting them for friends for past five years, they and we love them. After first frost this year put them in unheated garage, and they kept producing until Nov. They continue to amaze us with the number of tomatoes they produce. Must be watered daily and fertilized weekly, we plant them in 16" pots about 14" deep. Black plastic in full sun.

Positive eweed On Sep 21, 2003, eweed from Everson, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Years grown three always in various containers. Found the plant to be early and produce over the full season. Plant grew healthy and was high yeilding. Size was good for a cherry and taste was great. I gave forty starts away and got rave reviews from all. These starts were grown from the canadian border to seattle by lot's of non gardening folks who brag of their success.

one word the plant is stunning.

Nuff said

Positive Tplant On Sep 14, 2003, Tplant from Pembroke Pines, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

The 'Tumbler' grows best in 16" hanging baskets. I plant two(2) in each basket and hang them about 8 feet off the ground. They will hang gracefully over the sides with beautiful red, sweet, cherry tomatos in great continuous abundance.

Because of the shallowness of the basket they require daily heavy watering. (A must!!) They are truly worth the effort for the fruit is sweet and juicy. I fertilize with Miracle-Gro Tomato Plant Food (water-soluble fertilizer) every two weeks as instructed.

'Tumbler' is a real eye catcher, according to my neighbors!

Positive PanamonCreel On Jul 14, 2003, PanamonCreel from Celaya
Mexico (Zone 10a) wrote:

Cascading hybrid especially bred for growing in a hanging basket. Very good yield of sweet and highly flavorful cherry tomatoes.

Word of warning: though sometimes advertised as dwarf hanging basket plant it still gets pretty big hanging down from the basket; thus the basket should be high up from the ground.

Wolverhampton,