Tomato 'Gardener's Delight'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Gardener's Delight
Additional cultivar information:(aka Sugar Lump)
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Bradford, Rhode Island

Catharpin, Virginia

Junction City, Wisconsin

On Mar 11, 2013, CommonCents from Jasper, GA wrote:

Grew this one in 2012. It did well in our red dirt. I had two vines of this, and they produced lots and lots of tomatoes, and grew to over 6 feet high. They were delicious and great for salads and in stir fries or mixed skillets. They also dried well in the dehydrator. I'm still eating dried ones on salads in mid March 2013, and they are still wonderful to eat. Planning to have 3 vines of this in 2013, and I have seedlings from seeds recovered from last year's harvest. We'll see how they do this year.

On Oct 26, 2011, beebonnet from Coos Bay, OR (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is my all time favorite cherry tomato. I have grown it for years and always save the seed. It's flavor is that of an excellent large heirloom tomato and makes the perfect snack tomato as you work in the garden. Vigorous vines and lots of fruit. One drawback is that is cracks easily when it rains. Do not water this tomato over head.

On Oct 25, 2010, Sherilou from Panhandle Gulf Coast, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Sugar Lump a.k.a. Gardener's Delight is SWEETER than Sweet 100!!!

I grew both this year and my Sugar Lump tomatoes were far more delicious and sweet than the Sweet 100's. Both had the same productivity and both were the same size (classic cherry-sized tomatoes).

On Apr 8, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

A favorite of mine as cherry types go. Vigorous vines. Sweet, but also enough 'bite' and complexity to give this one a full flavor.

On Jan 16, 2005, DustyEarth from Junction City, WI wrote:

I only grew 4 plants of this last year (04). Lots of good-sized cherry tomatoes. They grew 5 to 13 tomatoes per cluster with many clusters per plant. I grew these to cascade over the side of a 3 foot high container. They weathered dry conditions and were well over the 5 foot height. would likely have done much better on a trellis. Fruit all summer and did good also when the weather turned cool. Will grow again this year. Seeds were from 'The Cook's Garden' out of Vermont.

On Sep 22, 2003, nanstorm from Bradford, RI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I've grown this plant for 4 years. Same results every year. Great taste, great performer. I cage my plants with 6" steel mesh 3' diameter and 5' tall. The plant grows to exceed this size each year. I've only found one other cherry tomato to have better fruit. Just a note, these fruit tend to crack easily with too much water.

On Apr 21, 2003, jagonjune from Edmonton, AB (Zone 3a) wrote:

I grew these last year in Edmonton and our fruit was larger than cherry but smaller than a full size more like a tigerella size. Excellent flavour and would grow as tall as I could stake or vine them.

On Jan 15, 2003, Baa wrote:

An outdoor, cordon variety here in the UK.

It's a strong growing plant that bears heavy crops of small cherry type tomatoes. I don't eat them myself but I'm told by my family that they are the best flavoured garden grown tomato we have grown. I understand that this view is shared by many others too.