False Campanula, Lilyleaf Ladybells, Lady Bells
Adenophora liliifolia

Family: Campanulaceae (kam-pan-yew-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Adenophora (ad-eh-NO-for-uh) (Info)
Species: liliifolia (lil-ee-eye-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)

Medium Blue

Blue-Violet

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Hyampom, California

Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin

Marinette, Wisconsin

Spooner, Wisconsin

On Jul 5, 2015, Rickwebb from Downingtown, PA wrote:

I've only seen this perennial native to parts of Europe to central Asia in European photos. I have never seen it in the USA. There is much confusion between this plant and the Creeping Bellflower, Campanula rapunculoides. It is the Creeping Bellflower also from Europe that people see here in the US, that is a powerful, aggressive perennial spreading a lot by underground stems and roots. Check out 'Adenophora liliflolia - Rob's Plants' on the web for info, photos, and comments. The real Lilyleaf Ladybells has white or pale blue or lavender-blue very drooping or nodding bell-shaped flowers. The Bellflower has bright purple flowers that are not so drooping, but sort of lateral.

On Apr 22, 2015, DonnaMack from Elgin, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have been in my new garden for three years. The first year I had a few of this plant, and was charmed, the second year I started pulling it out because it was increasing too much. This year it is rampant and threatening other plants. It is growing in great clumps. I am sorry that I did not control it earlier. I am trying to control it now by digging it out, which worked with lily of the valley, but this is more relentless.

I wold not advise allowing this plant to get out of control. The only way to do that, I think, is not to plant it or put it in a container.

On Jan 29, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

In the US, most plants and seed sold and traded as ladybells/Adenophora are clearly the weedy, invasive creeping bellflower (Campanula rapunculoides).

That makes it difficult to know whether the negative reviews here are about this Adenophora or the Campanula.

I have yet to see serious evidence that the true A. liliifolia is actually in cultivation in N. America.

The following can be used to distinguish this ladybells species:

1) Flowers white or pale blue
2) Flowers in a symmetrical, pyramidal, branched inflorescence (panicle), not a one-sided raceme (with an unbranched flower stem).
3) The style extends long beyond the rim of the bell.
4) Flowers 1.2-2.0 cm (no more than 0.8").
5) The lobes divide t... read more

On Jun 28, 2012, anolha from Lake Hallie, WI wrote:

I hate this plant! It is so invasive I have yet to find a way to get rid of it. I have pulled it, dug it and removed roots 2 feet down when small and big and still it grows back. I have tried weed killers and that hasn't worked. It is spreading throughout my yard. I would never give this plant to anyone.

On Aug 6, 2011, flybynyte from Webster, SD (Zone 4a) wrote:

i have this plant growing all over the place---and, have no idea where it came from. growing in peonies, bee balm, coneflowers, and on and on. i have been pulling this invasive plant for years now. it just keeps returning.

On Apr 14, 2011, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Very invasive and hard to completely kill off.

On Apr 28, 2010, Michellekre from Woodstock, IL wrote:

I planted 3 small plants in a 25'X12' bed 8 years ago and it has taken over at least 70% of the flower bed!

On Jul 1, 2009, woodflower from Portland, OR wrote:

This plant is somewhat invasive. It will overtake less vigorous neighbors and the roots are easily transplanted. All the same, a beautiful plant that performs well. It is probably best kept as a container plant.

On May 18, 2009, anelson77 from Seattle, WA wrote:

After 2 years in a partly shaded, dryish spot, this plant has grown into a very dense clump 3 feet across. It blooms heavily for a long period. It spreads fairly fast by underground shoots but not in an invasive manner, as the new stalks come up next to the established ones. The long flower stalks lean over a wall and look great. I would not plant this in a perennial garden, unless its companions are also large, vigorous plants. I am using it as ground cover around shrubs, and it fills this bill well, being totally impenetrable by weeds.

On Nov 17, 2007, kd2000 from toronto

I have found this plant to be a good performer and not overly invasive in my zone 4/5 garden. Easy care, adds nice early summer colour, and does seem to fair well in drought conditions. I do deadhead to prevent self sowing as they set a tremendous amount of seed if left to their own

On Oct 28, 2007, Gardenerplus from Middlebury, VT wrote:

If I never saw this plant again I would be happy. Here in the Champain Valley of Vermont it is worse than mint with a tap root that can be a foot long. As a professional gardener I spend more time trying to eradicate this plant than any other by organic means. I love plants, gardening is my passion and my job, but I do not like Adenophora Liliifolia.

On Mar 18, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Medium 18" - Plant 12" apart. Zone 3-8 Purple-blue nodding flower bells from late summer into the fall. Light green foliage with dark stems. Chinese native. Spreads rapidly.

On Apr 2, 2005, SalmonMe from Springboro, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Plants can be very freely self-sowing, bordering on weedy. Seeding can be minimized by diligent deadheading. Deadhead to a lateral bud after flowers fade. A secondary flush of flowers will follow proper deadheading. After second flush fades, cut down to basal foliage. Too much shade may cause plants to flop over.

On Nov 12, 2004, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

The member who said these were invasive was right - they can be, unless moved when young. I generally dig up the young plants in early spring when I'm doing my first weeding of the season. Pot them up and take the babies to our annual plant sale or plant them elsewhere. Still, I occasionally still get them popping up where they're not wanted. But the flowers are beautiful and long lasting - so they're worth the bother.

They like partial to full sun and moist but well drained soil. I've seen mine wilt during droughts, so keep watered if you are getting less than average rainfall. Wet conditions (as we had this year) don't seem to bother them.

On Jul 6, 2003, Karenn from Mount Prospect, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have had this plant (in one place only) for 8 years. I planted it at the north side base of a 40 year old silver maple. At the time I was a very inexperienced gardener. It has never moved around, never flopped, and never grown "out of bounds". I can only assume that the prolific roots of the silver maple keep it in check. It is really attractive where I have it, where very little else can grow!

On Jul 4, 2003, JanFRN from St. Albert

These are almost impossible to get rid of. They have taproots, and Roundup acts like Miracle Gro! I saw them at a plant nursery recently and couldn't believe people PAY for them!