PlantFiles: Banyan Tree, Ban Yan
Ficus benghalensis

Family: Moraceae (mor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ficus (FY-kus) (Info)
Species: benghalensis (ben-gal-EN-sis) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Inconspicuous/none

Very high moisture needs; suitable for bogs and water gardens
This plant is resistant to deer

Thumbnail #1 of Ficus benghalensis by bermudiana

Thumbnail #6 of Ficus benghalensis by palmbob

By Monocromatico
Thumbnail #7 of Ficus benghalensis by Monocromatico

Neutral JPnAZ On Mar 15, 2012, JPnAZ from Mesa, AZ wrote:

Anyone know where I can source on of these trees in Phoenix, AZ?

Neutral aparajita On Sep 19, 2011, aparajita from Mumbai
India wrote:

Hi, I live in Mumbai and I see that there are many small plants of the Banyan tree lining the roads. Can I transplant a couple of them to a pot for making a bonsai? am new to this and would love to have someone tell me how to go about it. I actually was planning to have a bonsai in a terrarium. will it survive in a closed environment?

Positive a_griebel On Jan 22, 2011, a_griebel from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

This plant isn't zoned for our area (Phoenix is 9b, with parts in 10a), however, there are several beautiful specimens growing in the Phoenix Zoo. Some of these trees have some arial roots growing. I have also heard that at least two of our suberbs (Scottsdale and Mesa -zones 9b) have several growing as well. Next time I am at the zoo, I will try to snag some pictures.

Positive gerrycollier On Nov 22, 2009, gerrycollier from Longwood, FL wrote:

As a bonsai enthusiast since 1982, the banyan tree is by far the most interesting & excellent tree to grow as bonsai. If you attempt to grow the banyan from seeds, it helps to sprinkle the seeds into warm water & leave for at least 12 hours. When trying to propagate any ephyite, especially ficus benghalensis, it can be hit & miss. As I continue to do research on the most effective method of germinating this special tree, I will keep you updated.

Gerry collier

Neutral Tetrazygia On Jun 1, 2008, Tetrazygia from Miami, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

This banyan is native to India, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, and Bangladesh. It has become established in SE Florida and is considered invasive because its pollinating wasp was also introduced. Because they can start off as epiphytes, they are especially threatening invasives. Large trees can prove very damaging when strong hurricanes pass through and often account for extra damage to roads, vehicles, and homes. Although they are nice canopy trees in areas such as Coral Gables, there are two native banyan ficuses that should be used in suburban areas instead.

Positive davidzone9 On Jan 12, 2008, davidzone9 from Houston, TX wrote:

I've been fascinated by these trees for quite awhile and was finally able to see the magnificent banyans at the Edison Estate in Fort Myers, Florida and Coral Gables, Florida on the way to the botanic gardens. I just stood there in awe. Every romantic notion of being in a rainforest (without leaving the U.S.) could start with standing under a banyan.
Since that time, I've tried to find one growing in the Houston area. I finally found one growing one block from the seawall in Galveston, Texas. It's down the street from Joe's Crab shack and is about 20 feet tall and 20 feet wide. It's not the monster trees you find in Florida, but it's nice to know they can grow on Galveston Island.

Positive crt On Jun 16, 2005, crt from Amarillo, TX (Zone 6b) wrote:

Theses are very nice trees! I have been trying to find seeds for about a year, I would love to try and grow one as a bonsai. The seeds that I have found don't seems to germinate. the problem with ordering seed packages, is that most of the packs don't have any seeds in them maybe one or two at the most; the people that I bought the seeds from keep telling me the seeds of the Banyan tree are really like dust and it is impossible to divide the flower parts from the real seeds. Man this would really make a great bonsai it may take a wile to grow but it would be worth it!

Rick

Positive BROforest On Mar 4, 2005, BROforest from Brownsville, TX (Zone 9b) wrote:

This extra large Ficus has its place in cities as do most plants that can find their own ecological niche. Brownsville, Texas can be very hot and dry in the summer months and a tree that shades a whole block can create it's own refreshing climate beneath its spreading canopy. This tree should be avoided or trimmed very aggressively in places close to foundations, driveways, streets or pedestrian walkways. The canopy can spread so far that the area shaded can be several houses and the whole side street. Our area can be droughty and our soils alkaline and clayey, yet we see trees this size quite regularly in cities even inland from Brownsville. I've seen one tree on a construction site (an abandoned plant nursery) outside of Los Fresnos, Texas that had about five seperate picnic table eating areas under the canopy and there was still lots of room for more. This tree had to have a 20 degree temperature difference from the 100+ July days, and I hope they didn't cut it down when they razed the nursery area.

Positive Kylecawaza On Aug 23, 2004, Kylecawaza from Corte Madera, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

If you want a Banyan of this tree in a none humid climate, do not trim this tree at all. There would be a lot more Banyans of this tree in CA if the road crew did not trim them. There are Banyan examples of this tree though at the Fullerton Aboretum

Positive ireadalot On Aug 14, 2004, ireadalot from San Antonio, TX wrote:

I was reading about the damage that the category 5 hurricane "Charlie" has done so far in Florida when I came across one man's report of how the winds tore out a Banyan tree.

Now, I know it is a strange name. and we do not read it often, but I do recall something about its history & distribution.

The sequel to the story of the Mutiny on the Bounty is a book titled "Pitcairn's Island". From the book, a reader discovers that the mutineers made use of Banyan trees when they lived out the remainder of their lives on that remote, tiny island.

It has been some time since I read that book, but I think the islanders learned to distill the roots to produce Banyan whiskey/spirits. The drink was claimed to be viciously intoxicating, and nearly caused the death of of every person on Pitcairn's Island.

Positive timlight On Mar 29, 2004, timlight wrote:

Banyans are extreamly beautiful tree's, i was introduced to them at the Edison summer house in Fort Myers Florida, i would definantly take a trip to see the worlds largest banyan tree in India. I also think they are the most intellegent trees because of their ability to drop roots and expand, and take things over.

Positive camibeau On Jun 28, 2003, camibeau wrote:

I am lucky enough to live near two roads that have been lined with banyan trees. These mature canopy trees cover the roads and make them unique and truly special. The leaves on the banyan trees grow most densely on the outer branches of the tree. While driving through the trees, I open my sunroof and try to look up to take in the experience. Once you enter the tree, the sound reflect off the inside of the tree and it truly becomes it's own environment.

With such a beautiful drive, most cars easily slow down to the 30 MPH speed limit and respectfully admire the beauty of these wonderful trees. Thank you to whomever years ago had the foresight to plant these trees. I think this should be encouraged and I plan to plant some cuttings very soon.

Neutral Tania1 On Jun 25, 2003, Tania1 wrote:

I think that this is a marvelous and majestic tree. They do grow impressively large. Sadly, they are prohibited to be planted, sold or propigated and they must be removed from a site upon development or redevelopment in Miami-Dade County. I think that this is a shame though I can reluctantly understand why this is. I just wanted those that might live in this county to be aware. If you are allowed to grow it where you live and can plant it far away from any buildings do so, it is an awesome tree!

Positive Monocromatico On Jun 3, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

One of the most incredible trees, F. bengalensis has adventive roots that get thicker and thicker until it reaches the diameter of the main trunk after it reaches the soil, so the tree looks like it has several trunks. In older trees, you could just build your house under them. I heard of a restaurant in So Paulo, Brazil, built under an old Banyan Tree.

It doesnt get as tall as it should, but surely requires some space in your garden (probably, in a park, since it could just ignore your house and your walls and fences while spreading the adventive roots and destroy them).

Grenoble,