Zucchini, Courgette, Summer Squash 'Gold Rush'

Cucurbita pepo

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cucurbita (koo-KER-bih-ta) (Info)
Species: pepo (PEP-oh) (Info)
Cultivar: Gold Rush

Zucchini (summer)

51 to 60 days

Mature Skin Color:

Less than 1 pound (0.5 kg)

Calistoga, California

Roseland, California

Bark River, Michigan

Warren, Pennsylvania

On Jul 25, 2006, BDale60 from Warren, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Awesome! We've grown this variety on and off for about five years and I never tire of the appearance, plant vigor, or taste. One year careless roofers dropped some tiles on it and thing still managed to survive and produce. The bright yellow skin really glows amidst the leaves so (doggone it) I have no excuse for letting it get too big! We grow in raised beds and it seems to do fine although I'd love to see how it would do with more space. Thumbs up!

On Feb 19, 2005, Breezymeadow from Culpeper, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is one of my favorite summer squashes & is still available from many seed suppliers, so I must not be alone in my assessment.

I found the plants relatively compact for a summer squash & very resistant to squash bugs (which I have a lot of here).

It produced extremely well, but not to the point where I had more than I could handle (so often the case with summer squash). The fruits also seemed to stay small for a longer period - I never ended up with squash baseball bats with this variety as I did with my green zukes.

Most important - taste & texture was excellent both raw & cooked. Mild for a zucchini, but far less watery & less "seedy" than yellow crookneck or other yellow summer squashes.

I highly recommend it.

On Feb 18, 2005, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Plants are open and upright. 52 days to maturity. Fruits are smooth and cylindrical.

On May 8, 2004, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

A 1978 golden zuchini hybrid still offered by Seminis. Cylindrical shape, golden yellow skin and white flesh.