PlantFiles: Chinese Forget-Me-Not
Cynoglossum amabile 'Firmament'

Family: Boraginaceae
Genus: Cynoglossum (SIGH-no-gloss-um) (Info)
Species: amabile (a-MAH-bih-lee) (Info)
Cultivar: Firmament

Thumbnail #5 of Cynoglossum amabile by RosinaBloom

Thumbnail #6 of Cynoglossum amabile by RosinaBloom

Thumbnail #7 of Cynoglossum amabile by RosinaBloom

Positive kitty_mom On Jun 11, 2010, kitty_mom from Waverly, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

These flowers are just gorgeous. They have flowered nonstop for weeks now. The bees love them, too. And as another gardener stated, they are definitely flopping over.

I am growing them in two pots on the front porch. I would say that they receive moderate sunlight. They also love to be watered every day. I may try them in the ground in the future, but they are stunning to look at each time I go in the door.

Positive henrywelch On Oct 27, 2009, henrywelch from Francistown
Botswana wrote:

more of a question than comment. I'm a black-thumb gardener :) I have the cynoglossum from my girlfriend. I live in Botswana (I think USDA Zone 8a or 8b or 9, not sure). We're going through a rough patch, so I want to plant this and send it to her, but I only have a few seeds and dont want to screw up...planting tips anyone? I have them in a 8" pot, do I water everyday? It's hot here.

Positive JimIowa On Jan 2, 2008, JimIowa from Marshalltown, IA wrote:

These flowers are a great shade of blue. Mine reached over 24" tall and tended to fall over at the end of the season. This is a prolific self seeder, and the seeds are stickly, so they spread about alot.

Positive twohawk On Oct 11, 2007, twohawk from Blanco, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

An easy to grow beauty. Reseeds itself, even in cracks and
crevices of my rock walkway. Managed to thrive despite
a few days of 20 degree weather. Blooms all summer into
fall.

Neutral berrygirl On Mar 4, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This 1939 AAS winner was introduced by the Ernst Benary company in Germany.

Positive flowercrazy39 On Aug 29, 2005, flowercrazy39 from Manchester, NH wrote:

I grew half of the seeds inside and half I just scattered outside everywhere. My garden is alive with little blue flowers all season.

Neutral lmelling On Jan 18, 2005, lmelling from Ithaca, NY (Zone 5b) wrote:

Grow in moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil in sun or partial shade. Plants become course and leafy and may not flower well in soil that is too fertile; they do not thrive in heavy clay soils.

Firmament is compact with deep blue flowers and gray-hairy leaves. Grows to 16" tall.

Positive LilyLover_UT On Jan 17, 2005, LilyLover_UT from Ogden, UT (Zone 5b) wrote:

If started early indoors, 'Firmament' blooms all summer long in an incredible shade of sky blue. It can also be direct sown, or grown as a biennial, and it self-sows.

Neutral punaheledp On Jul 3, 2004, punaheledp from Kailua, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

hawaii, zone 11. Recently picked up packet of these and checked site for comments before planting...but no comments yet. Will update after I see how seeds do and rate them then.

Mallorytown,