Dragon Wing Begonia 'Dragon Wing Red'

Family: Begoniaceae (be-gon-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Begonia (be-GON-yuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Dragon Wing Red
Additional cultivar information:(Dragon Wing Series, aka Bepared)
» View all varieties of Begonias

Costa Mesa, California

Hayward, California

Los Angeles, California

Santa Barbara, California

Gulf Breeze, Florida (2 reports)

Navarre, Florida

Church Road, Virginia

Jonesville, Virginia

West Bend, Wisconsin

On Apr 25, 2011, ohsusannah from Cedar Hill, TX wrote:

I can't imagine a summer without this plant. It won't survive our winter, but is well worth bringing indoors. I have planted it in the ground, but enjoy it more in large containers, window boxes and hanging baskets. I have easily rooted cuttings in both water and potting mix.

On Jan 22, 2011, lovethisplant from Cathedral City, CA wrote:

I live in the low desert of Southern California (Palm Springs). Summer heat to 120 degrees. Bought this plant, (think this is the plant), at a Lowe's in hanging basket last Spring which I repotted in a large container. Bloomed forever and grew. Summer came and I decided not to throw it out so covered it with a vine growing in same container and watered three times a day. It is under a trellis with shade cloth over trellis. It got pretty scruffy looking but I hung in there. Now in late September it started to look better and grew, and grew. It is four times the size of when I bought it and will not quit blooming. My only question is the pinching back does not work when canes get too long, blooms do not seem to form at these pinched ends. Should I cut out these canes? I am going to... read more

On May 31, 2010, Vinite from Grapevine, TX wrote:

I noted that I have had success with this plant in North Central Texas, but there's more to the story. I mulch heavily in winter and cover with burlap when temps are below freezing. After last year's record cold/snow, 3 of the 6 sprouted again, but the others were goners. I purchased another plant and have snapped off portions to plant in the lost areas. They look bad for a short while, but with water and patience, they will be fine. I may overwinter cuttings indoors next winter and see if I can get an earlier start.
This is a very showy plant and I get comments on it all summer. It's been a good performer.

On Mar 26, 2009, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Although it bloomed great all summer,it went semi dormant here in the SF bay area,not evergreen like the Angel wing Begonia's that grow here. That was dissapointing since they never had any frost touch them. Just now, near April is it just starting to grow again out of the straggly look..
I doubt I would add more of this hybrid,as I prefer the evergreen Begonia species.

On Mar 25, 2006, judycooksey from Pocahontas, TN (Zone 7b) wrote:

It can only be grown as a houseplant in our zone. During the summer I keep it on the porch where it gets afternoon sun, water often and fertilize once a month. During the winter it must be protected from low temperatures. I love it's vibrant color.

On Sep 13, 2005, Scorpioangel from Gold Hill, OR (Zone 7a) wrote:

I love this begonia .... have to move it indoors every winter so it grows in a pot. Flowers profusely indoors and out.

On Aug 9, 2005, isom from Mission BC
Canada (Zone 8b) wrote:

I'm not a big fan of begonias as I find that in my area, they're liable to powdery mildew in the fall & mildews when grown in the house. But dragon wing begonias surpass all other begonias for ease of growing & they put on a lovely show.

They're extremely easy to grow from cuttings & I always start a number each spring to plant outside. I include them in hanging baskets, in large ground planters, & in a large pot or two by themselves. They attract a lot of attention. They do equally well in bright hot sun (with lots of water) & in shade. In shade, the blooms are more pink & in sun, they're red. Both are beautiful.

I bought an original plant 5 years ago when I saw it marked way down. They had been neglected & in hot sun with little water so looked awful but I t... read more

On Feb 18, 2005, handbright from Coral Springs, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I have seen this plant used in entryways to several subdivisions in my area, (always staked).
I have them all over my yard, and hanging in the trees. Great for attracting butterflies and hummingbirds, while they (the butterflies) dont drink from the plant, the colour calls them to the other butterfly friendly bushes I have in the yard.
They can get very leggy, and become top heavy and break off, but the constant blooms deserve an applause and are worth the care of staking and tieing, especially in the trees!

On Mar 31, 2004, captainswife from Rosemount, MN wrote:

This plant grows so beautifully in Minnesota summers outdoors. This year I brought a medium sized one inside to a south/east bay dinette and it grew beautifully all winter and bloomed and bloomed and is still blooming! I feed it every two to three months with Jobes flowering plant spikes and let the plant get to just dry before watering. I now have a large, glorious plant to move out to the deck or three season as soon as the Minnesota weather allows.
I have taken many cuttings of this plant, rooted them in a rooting glass in a south window, and given away many lovely little bloomers all winter!

On May 27, 2003, Quiltqueen from West Bend, WI wrote:

Friend gave me cutting from her outdoor plant - I kept on kitchen counter all winter - southern exposure - it bloomed continuously and grew to be over 3 ft in diameter. Wonderful at Christmas. Am planting outside last week of May and will pass on cuttings to daughter and friends since it is so prolific and colorful. Will take cuttings in Fall to add color to the house again next Winter.

On Jan 5, 2003, yvana from Stone Mountain, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This plant is a cross between the Angelwing begonia and the Wax begonia, giving it the best qualities of both varieties. Blooms profusely until frost.