Grape Ivy, Oak Leaf Ivy
Cissus rhombifolia

Family: Vitaceae (vee-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cissus (KISS-us) (Info)
Species: rhombifolia (rom-bif-OH-lee-uh) (Info)

Partial to Full Shade

Cashiers, North Carolina

Warren Center, Pennsylvania

On Jul 17, 2010, Evie21 from Hull
United Kingdom wrote:

I love this plant,with its dark glossy leaves and its trailing habit,and its such an easy plant to care for. Here in the UK it is quite difficult to find,I managed to get a rooted cutting earlier this year,and now its grown to be a beautiful elegant plant,I have it trailing at present and keep it in the house,I'm not sure if it could grow outdoors here,probably too cold.

On Sep 25, 2007, sundevilcass from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Grape-leaf ivy is a great house plant that develops an elegant draping form and is tolerant of a variety of light conditions. BUT it is not a pest-free plant. Grape ivy is quite susceptible to powdery mildew (a white, dusty looking coating on the leaves) when the plant is not given adequate ventilation/air movement around the leaves. Oak leaf ivy is less susceptible and is an equally nice, elegant houseplant.

On Jun 30, 2007, moosetrish from Vinton, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is one tough plant! My family's original plant, which is over 30 years old, was bought by my grandmother. She always called it "grape-leafed ivy". I only recently found the botanical name for the one we have--Cissus Rhombifolia. She gave starts to many people including my Dad, but when she passed away I inherited her plant. After my father passed away, I also became caretaker of his plant which is 20-25 years old. I gave my brother a start shortly after my father's death in 2000. It is now a thriving "youngster" at seven years old. I'm waiting for my two nephews to get their own homes so they can carry on the "family tradition"!
I live in extreme southern Ohio (Zone 6a) and I can hang them on my breezeway from April through October. Then each plant has its own... read more

On Oct 22, 2006, Lady_fern from Jeffersonville, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

This can make a really impressive houseplant. I stuck a cut-down tomato cage in the pot and have been weaving around and through it for a few years. Boy is it big! It is healthy and vigorous whether overwatered or let to go dry. It just sheds a few leaves to make up for the loss of moisture. All it asks is some good light and some water and it does the growing! Very satisfying for a beginner.

On Apr 12, 2005, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Native to S. America and the West Indies.
Compound leaves with elegant 3 oak-leaf shaped leaflets; soft dark hairs on the stems; trailling habit. Great for hanging basket. Flowers inconspicuous. Runners several feet long. Width is variable.
Medium heat tolerance, low to high indoor light will grow nicely. Protect from direct sun or will scorch or burn, Any well drained soil, such as African Violet mix. Fertilize with plant food at 1/2 rate three or four times a year, Spring, early sumer, late summer and fall. If leaves yellow, apply an extra dose at 1/2 rate.
low water requirements, allow to become almost dry, then water thoroughly so that water drains out of the bottom of pot. Do not keep it continuously wet, may encourage root rot.
Temperature should be 35... read more

On Oct 9, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

In zone 9a, central Florida, C. rhombifolia grows as a yard plant on a fence or up a palm tree. It hasn't been killed in my yard for 25 years. It is not difficult to keep in bounds.

On Oct 8, 2004, tcfromky from Mercer, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Easy to grow as a houseplant. Use a well-drained, peaty potting mixture. Prefers bright indirect light, but plants generally tolerate a variety of lighting conditions. Apply consistent moisture from spring to fall, allowing soils to dry before rewatering. Reduce watering in winter.