Giant Agave, Century Plant, Maguey de Pulque
Agave salmiana var. ferox

Family: Agavaceae (ah-gav-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Agave (a-GAH-vee) (Info)
Species: salmiana var. ferox
Synonym:Agave ferox

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Grenoble,

Foley, Alabama

Lillian, Alabama

Mobile, Alabama

Smiths, Alabama

Vincent, Alabama

Chandler Heights, Arizona

Mesa, Arizona

Tucson, Arizona (2 reports)

Reseda, California

Dripping Springs, Texas

Kennard, Texas

Kermit, Texas

Lubbock, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Spring, Texas

On May 25, 2007, Lily_love from Central, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

Although, its names implies it would bloom once every hundred year. But, I was told that actually under right condition it would bloom in 10 years. I've this one plant for over 5 years. (in my zone 7b). It produced many offsets along the ground that can be dug up and planted else where, or share with others. When I visited Fla. I've noticed the same plant, though much more taller, wider grew there. The sharp pines along the leave stalk are tough, and pointed. Will not recommend these to family with small/young children. I'll report back, if it blooms next few years.

On Dec 11, 2006, Socalguy wrote:

Southern California has more Agave than any other state in the country. Agave grows like grass here. There are thousands here everywhere throughout So.Cal.

On Jun 5, 2006, Rainbowman18 from Weston, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I planted just a few of these succulents in parts of my
garden in Florida and they now have multiplied many times over. I have an 8-foot flower spike on one of them now with literally hundreds of pups waiting to fall off and root or be hand-planted. It's just one of six different agaves I have on my property, but it is one of my favorites.

Sometimes I see an aphid-like insect attacking the pups, and I wonder what it is, but it does not really harm them and is fairly easy to get off. I highly recommend this plant to agave lovers and Floridians who want to have a xeriscape garden.

On Aug 19, 2004, aviator8188 from Murphysboro, IL (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have no idea how its possible, but their is a gardener who is growing several Agave's in their front yard, here in USDA zone 7a southern Illinois!...They have Agave americana and Agave variegata in their yard. They have two 3 americana's and 1 variegata. The plants are about 2 feet in height and 3 feet in width. They grow outdoors year around! I would like to know their secret. I have always enjoyed seeing Agave's when I go to Florida, along with Spanish Bayonette, and other desert plants. Its just great to bring Florida to southern Illinois! Although Agave's are beautiful, the sap of the Agave's are highly toxic! They can cause a person's skin to break out, causing painful burning sensations. Nasuea and head aches can also accompany the symptoms, so be careful when pruning or handling ... read more

On Oct 15, 2003, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Nice plant. There are pix on the net of it growing in "orchards" to be harvested to produce tequila [in Jalesco] and mescal elsewhere.

On Feb 9, 2003, Greenknee from Chantilly, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Said to bloom only once, after 100 years. Like many in its family, plant dies after blooming and offsets take over (similar to Yuccas). Very tall (up to 15') flower spike, with tiers of candelabra-like flower trusses. A BIG plant.

On Jan 8, 2003, Chamma from Tennille, GA (Zone 8b) wrote:

An amazing agave! Deep green, glossy, stiff leaves that are margined with black teeth and taper to a long black spine.The inflourescence reaches an incredible height and has clusters of bright yellow flowers.