PlantFiles: Double-Flowering Japanese Kerria, Japanese Rose, Easter Rose, Yellow Rose of Texas
Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora'

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Kerria (KER-ee-a) (Info)
Species: japonica (juh-PON-ih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Pleniflora

By asturnut
Thumbnail #6 of Kerria japonica by asturnut

By TraciS
Thumbnail #7 of Kerria japonica by TraciS

Neutral Weerobin On Jun 21, 2014, Weerobin from Saint Louis, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

It has abundant cheerful flowers but it needs to be sited thoughtfully since it spreads steadily by underground stems. Will create a dense spreading thicket of stems which can overwhelm neighboring plants.

Neutral DreamOfSpring On Oct 7, 2012, DreamOfSpring from Charleston, SC (Zone 9a) wrote:

I'm not actually familiar with this plant; however, I couldn't help but notice from the many photos that it seems to look a great deal like the yellow Lady Banks rose. This appears true for both the bloom and the manner of growth with the exception that the Lady Banks rose seems much larger and more sprawling (i.e. probably too large for a small garden). I mention this apparent similarity for the benefit of anyone who has difficulty growing one but may be able to grow the other instead.

Positive Munga On May 17, 2011, Munga from Weatherford, TX wrote:

I love this shrub. The tallest it has grown is about 5 foot, but I've since moved it to a new location and hope it will reach its full potential of 6 foot. It is growing very well in dappled to full shade in my sandy soil. My climate is extremely hot and dry in summer and I have never seen it wilt whereas several of my other shrubs droop even with regular watering. My Kerria will bloom twice. Once in early spring and usually again in late summer/early fall. It seems to be a good "center of attention" shurb. I do cut it back because it will tend to look too leggy after a while. It doesn't seem to mind at all! It's very sweet natured and brings color to my shady spot. I think I will plant yellow daylilies around it next spring.

Positive VondaS On May 12, 2011, VondaS from Ogden, UT wrote:

I received my "Yellow Rose of Texas" from my sister as a gift. She bought it at the flea market in Canton Texas and by the time I got it in May 2004, it was nothing more than a little twig protruding out of a pot of dirt. I planted it by my arbor and it took off. It took over the arbor and every May it bloomed thousands of beautiful yellow blossoms.. My favorite thing in my yard. This last winter we had a few days where it got very cold. -30 degrees. I think it is dead. After surviving 6 cold northern Utah winters, it did not make it through this last one and I'm mourning my loss as I cut it from the arbor, trying to find some sign of life.

Positive jratliff55 On May 26, 2010, jratliff55 from Dallas, TX wrote:

Here in Dallas this is a great background plant. We have heavy clay soil; I never water it, relying only on rainfall, and it loves it. I grow it on a bank in filtered shade under numerous tall trees. It puts out runners as opposed to being one shrub, and has arching, 4-5ft canes with the flowers mostly at the top. It expands somewhat like bamboo, but less intrusive. Unwanted shoots pull up easily. Great screen and background for lower shrubs.

Positive purplesun On Apr 14, 2009, purplesun from Krapets
Bulgaria (Zone 8a) wrote:

This one is so simple to grow - just give it any non-chalky soil, any exposure, and water in times of drought. It spreads slowly, not unlike clumping bamboo, and is very easy to propagate; just dig out reasonably strong canes and plant them wherever you want them, provide regular watering, and wait for the flowers.
It is ubiquitous in Bulgaria.

Positive bloominganne On Aug 20, 2008, bloominganne from Atlanta, GA wrote:

I inherited this plant with my home purchase 4 years ago. It is in a spot that receives morning sun and afternoon shade. It does take cutting back to keep it healthy and happy. Mine gets a big flush of bright blooms in spring and sporatic blooms through until fall. I deadhead mine so maybe that's part of it's reblooming process. I have recently taken cuttings and I'm not sure yet if they are going to be sucessful. I highly recommend this plant for it's heat and humidity tolerance.

Positive srkrause On Apr 15, 2008, srkrause from Boulder Creek, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

It did not like full morning sun. Always got burnt. So I am trying it in a more shady place. Spring 2008

Positive maccionoadha On Mar 8, 2008, maccionoadha from Halifax, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

We've had a plant growing in our yard since I was a child. In the winter when the snow was thick on the ground, the stems of the plant would bend under the weight of the snow and form a cave. We loved to play in our nature-made fort. the blossoms are gorgeous and it's like a golden shower when the winds pick up blossoms as they drop.

One note of caution: The leaves contain small amounts of Hydrogen cyanide, so some caution should be taken with small children and pets.

Positive mandikat On Oct 15, 2005, mandikat from Virginia Beach, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

This plant can really take over once established. It spreads quickly by underground roots much like peppermint. I dig up the wayward "daughters" several times a year and give them to neighbors and friends. It's hard to find in this area at nurseries but well worth having. The bright green stems stand out well when placed adjacent to red trigged dog wood for winter color.

Positive suncatcheracres On Aug 11, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I acquired this plant at a Master Gardener plant swap in a suburb of Atlanta, Georgia. I planted it in a tough spot, up on a hill, shade in the morning, sun in the afternoon, and it is flourishing and quite a sight after being in the ground for three years--this is in my son's yard.

The plant was about five feet tall and had quite established roots, so it was already of some age. I first planted it in a pot with good potting soil, and waited until early Fall to put it in the ground so it wouldn't be stressed by the Summer heat. It is now quite large in the ground, and it's arching branches fill a difficult space up above a parking area on a steep slope.

As just about everything is grey or brown in the winter up at an altitude of about a thousand feet in the Piedmont area near Atlanta--the winters can be harsh--this guy fits right in--with its bare, brown branches in winter--and it comes back reliably every year, bigger and more floriferous than ever. A most satisfactory plant.

Positive carterm3 On Aug 10, 2003, carterm3 from Pensacola, FL wrote:

I received my start from my sister who lived in Nashville, Tennessee at that time. Once planted, it started growing and blooming for me and has never slackened its pace. Blooming profusely right now in Pensacola, Florida, on August 10th, 2003 in a mostly shaded area. Old things are always worth keeping, plants anyway!.

Positive beckykay On May 17, 2003, beckykay from Godfrey, IL (Zone 6a) wrote:

My mother-in-law gave me this plant several years ago and I have moved it three times. It is in a corner of my shade garden. It gets about 3 ft high in late summer. It has one double yellow/gold flower. Its not my favorate but what could I do but take the gift and plant it? My hubby thinks its just wonderful.

Positive asturnut On May 17, 2003, asturnut from Anchorage, AK (Zone 4b) wrote:

Very low maintaince. Grows in my shady, alkaline, horrible clay soil. Gets no watering or attention. Still flowers so in my book it's a winner. I just don't like that it's diciduous- it looks terrible in winter.

Positive WingedJewel On May 3, 2002, WingedJewel wrote:

William Kerr introduced the single form in 1804. Its double had been known in Europe since 1700. Has been growing in my yard for many years in filtered sun. I say filtered because it is on the outskirts of a large pecan tree.

Dothan, Alabama
Millville, New Jersey
Hurley, New York
Flat Rock, North Carolina
Hayesville, North Carolina
Raleigh, North Carolina (2 reports)
Wilsons Mills, North Carolina
Euclid, Ohio
Fort Jennings, Ohio
Haviland, Ohio
Middletown, Ohio
Enid, Oklahoma
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Ashland, Oregon
Salem, Oregon (2 reports)
Lawrenceville, Pennsylvania
Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania
Foster, Rhode Island
Hope Valley, Rhode Island
Crossville, Tennessee
Elizabethton, Tennessee
Nashville, Tennessee
Woodlawn, Tennessee
Austin, Texas (2 reports)
Weatherford, Texas