Darrow's Blueberry, Scrub Blueberry
Vaccinium darrowii

Family: Ericaceae (er-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Vaccinium (vak-SIN-ee-um) (Info)
Species: darrowii (dar-ROW-ee-eye) (Info)

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Silver/Gray

Blue-Green

Pale Pink

4.5 or below (very acidic)

Newberry, Florida

Oldsmar, Florida

On Dec 7, 2013, Fires_in_motion from Vacherie, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

One of the best plants ever. First of all, I completely disagree with this page's statement "Requires consistently moist soil; do not let dry out between waterings." This is one of the only blueberry species that prefers dry soil. Here in rainy south Louisiana, the one I have in an undersized pot is looking much better than the one of identical size and origin that I have planted in the ground. The one in the ground gets lots of water since it's right by the edge of a gutterless roof.
I once read an article in a book about landscaping using native plants that recommended doing away with grass yards in favor of meadow-type plantings of this species and a few others. I couldn't agree more. Amazing radiant crimson fall color to boot.

On Jan 9, 2003, ButterflyGardnr from Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant will form a dense shrub and provide small fruits that are edible, though usually the birds find the ripe berries first. The flowers are white to pale pink and bell-shaped, forming along the branches. It likes a moist, well-drained, acidic soil. My soil is fairly alkaline and requires amendments for the blueberry bushes. I dump old coffee grounds around the base of the plant. It will grow in sandy soils, though the lack of nutrients there may cause the leaves to get a rusty-red tinge to them, which can be quite attractive.