Walter's Viburnum, Small-leaf Arrowwood
Viburnum tridentatum

Family: Adoxaceae (a-dox-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Viburnum (vy-BUR-num) (Info)
Species: tridentatum (try-den-TAY-tum) (Info)
Synonym:Oreinotinus obovatus
Synonym:Viburnum obovatum

Partial to Full Shade

Full Shade

Provides winter interest

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Lincoln, California

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Apex, North Carolina

Sumter, South Carolina

On Sep 8, 2012, Styrax01 from Apex, NC wrote:

I have successfully grown this bush (it's not really a tree as has been said by some) in Apex, NC, and it is perfect for sun to part shade. It does best in moist soil, but I have not lost a single plant (I have about twelve on my 3 acres), so it will tolerate dry conditions also. My biggest plant is now about 7 feet, but they get leggy in shade and will stay dense in sun. I have used it as a screen because it is evergreen, and I have found it to be the best native evergreen I have used for the purpose; it is faster growing than ilex opaca, more shade tolerant than Ilex nigra, denser than Osmanthus, has better-looking foilage than Ilex vomitoria or wax myrtle, and is tougher than almost any other native evergreen bush I've grown. Plus it is covered with white flowers in Spring - what's ... read more

On Aug 22, 2011, wishnwell from Houston, TX wrote:

Actually, my experience with this small tree has been negative, but that's my fault for planting it in a flower bed so I'm rating it neutral.

1. Growth habit of entangled branches makes it nearly impossible to thin or prune lower branches to maintain its small-tree shape. It took 2 years before I saw any blooms, possibly because I was trimming it in summer to keep the upright new growth from looking simply scraggly? As a tree, it does not have a nice shape or growth habit, in my opinion.

2. Birds nesting or resting in the dense foliage is an issue in a flower bed, eliminating (double entendre intended) one's ability to work under the tree.

3. Long, unsightly runners pop up all along the root system, cannot be pulled out but must be clipped b... read more

On Mar 7, 2010, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Planted one gal. plants fall 2009. I hope to train mine as trees rather than large shrubs. So far, so good.

On Nov 21, 2009, wormfood from Lecanto, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I just brought this plant home but I'm reading positive things about it. Mine is the 'Whorled Class' cultivar and I can't wait to start on it as a bonsai tree. I found an article that states it is a Florida native and ideal for birds' nests sites. I'm going back for 5 more to put in my yard. It looks like a 6" dia. pot for 3.99 is a bargain.

On Jul 11, 2007, janlark from Auburndale, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant is easy to grow and forms lovely, dense hedges from 18 inches to 4 feet (and probably higher!). In areas of poor circulation, it can develop a black, sooty mold on the excrement of pests, particularly aphids. Control for the pests; soot washes off with soapy water (1t/gallon) and elbow grease.

On May 28, 2006, dmj1218 from west Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

General Information for Upper Texas Gulf Coast--
A large shrub or small tree with small leaves and abundant white flowers in the spring. Performs well in full sun to partial shade and tolerates relatively heavy clay gumbo soil.

On Jan 9, 2003, ButterflyGardnr from Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant can be pruned/sheared to retain the desired size/height so it can be used as a hedge. Its white blooms are very showy. It bears berries that turn from red to a purplish black and are a favorite food of birds and small animals. Birds will nest in dense thickets of Walter's viburnum. It grows quickly once established (mine grew from 3 ft. to 8 ft. in the first season) and tends to send up suckers. Several cultivars of this are available (var. 'Compacta' is a low-growing spreading variety; and var. 'St. Paul' has weeping branches).