Smooth Water Hyssop, Herb of Grace

Bacopa monnieri

Family: Plantaginaceae
Genus: Bacopa (buh-KOH-puh) (Info)
Species: monnieri (mon-ee-ER-ee) (Info)

Ponds and Aquatics

Ocracoke, North Carolina

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Mc Kinney, Texas

On Jan 3, 2007, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Smooth Water Hyssop, Herb of Grace Bacopa monnieri is Native to Texas and other States.

On Aug 7, 2005, Kameha from Kissimmee, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Like Butterflygardnr said...this is probably the best food source for the larva of white peacock butterflies, although they also feed on other members of the snapdragon family and ruellia. I love these butterflies so much, and thus I love this flower. It appears in my yard primarily after the heavy rains arrive in late may and continues to grow through December. It's a very beautiful groundcover in moist areas and the little flowers remind me somewhat of baby's breath. I just let it grow...that's why it's somewhat sad when people apply weed killing herbicides on their lawns because they are killing beautiful native plants that are very helpful to butterflies and I'd take a yard covered with water hyssop any day over a yard with a perfect lawn.

On Jan 9, 2003, ButterflyGardnr from Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is the preferred larval food plant for the White Peacock butterfly. The plant spreads readily forming thick mats which should be thinned at least annually to keep in bounds. It requires continually moist soil (standing water). It will tolerate brackish water. The plant is frequently used in herbal medicines to improve memory. The plant can be completely immersed in water and is sometimes used in aquariums.