PlantFiles: Gazania, Treasure Flower
Gazania rigens 'Talent'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Gazania (gay-ZAY-nee-uh) (Info)
Species: rigens (RIG-ens) (Info)
Cultivar: Talent

Thumbnail #4 of Gazania rigens by yvana

By darylmitchell
Thumbnail #5 of Gazania rigens by darylmitchell

Positive straea On Jun 1, 2008, straea from Somerville, MA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I believe 'Talent' is sold as both a mix and individual named colors, and one of the gazania mixes that comes true from seed. I first found this mix several years ago at a local farmers' market and was so enchanted by the cheery blooms atop the silvery foliage that I've grown it every year since. It's done well for me both at the front of a hot, sunny border and in pots in a sunny location. I do find, like another commenter noted, that it tends to start to bloom a bit later than the species, but once it starts producing flowers, it just doesn't stop! Last year mine kept producing new flowers even when light frost had just killed the blooms it already had; it wasn't till a fairly hard frost that the plants finally stopped blooming. As to the problems with buds being cut off - for me it's birds that usually do it (they do it with a couple other types of low-growing flowers in my garden too). After a few weeks they usually just lose interest on their own.

Neutral dallas1 On Jul 29, 2007, dallas1 from campbellville ontario

Very nice plant, but earwigs tend to eat all the flower petals especially in part sun areas

Positive darylmitchell On Oct 22, 2006, darylmitchell from Saskatoon, SK (Zone 3a) wrote:

These were a great addition to my containers. With silver foliage and brightly coloured flowers, they performed well on my hot, dry and windy patio. It took a while for the flowers to emerge but once they started, they went non-stop. They were also tolerant of a light frost in early fall. I found that deadheading would speed up the production of new blooms.

Neutral monsky On Jun 20, 2003, monsky from Lincoln, NE wrote:

I planted this plant for the first time this spring. I, too, had plants lose the bloom. I thought it looked like rabbits had chewed the stem. I rely on human hair, from the barber shop placed around the plants to ward off rabbits! I swear it worked! Plants all thriving now! I live in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Positive tomato_lady On Jun 20, 2003, tomato_lady from Crossville, TN (Zone 6a) wrote:

Gazanias themselves are really hardy plants if cared for properly - one of my favorites for a summer garden.

Hesperia, California