Brussels Sprouts 'Bubbles'

Brassica oleracea var. gemmifera

Family: Brassicaceae (brass-ih-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Brassica (BRAS-ee-ka) (Info)
Species: oleracea var. gemmifera
Cultivar: Bubbles

Not Applicable

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

Lawrenceville, Georgia

Jacksonville, Illinois

Farmington, New Hampshire

Brooklyn, New York

On Feb 18, 2012, bstnh1 from Barrington, NH (Zone 5a) wrote:

Had excellent success with Bubbles in 2011. Purchased a six pack of Bonnie Plants from Home Depot. Grew fairly tall and I had to stake them later in the season. They produced a huge number of big sprouts and weren't bothered by any insects. The only real problem I had is that I put them in the garden at the end of May and they were ready to harvest long before any frost. Still, I left them in the garden until the beginning of October and they held fine. I froze several batches of them and they freeze well and retain their flavor and crispness very well. Excellent taste - not bitter. Cannot locate seeds for this variety anywhere this year (2012). Bonnie still lists them on their web site, so hopefully I will be able to find them again this year.

On Jan 14, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

An F1 Hybrid, seed does not come true. This variety is somewhat tall, giving a good number of medium to large sprouts that are high in flavor. Tolerates hot summers better than most varieties.

Brussels sprouts are best harvested after a frost, so start seed indoor or out about 4 months before average frost date.