Thanksgiving Cactus, Holiday Cactus, Crab Cactus
Schlumbergera truncata 'Rocket'

Family: Cactaceae (kak-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Schlumbergera (shlum-BER-ger-uh) (Info)
Species: truncata (trunk-AH-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Rocket

Cleveland, Ohio

Hershey, Pennsylvania

Brady, Washington

On May 24, 2010, madgrace from Hershey, PA (Zone 6a) wrote:

Blooms for Thanksgiving and sets buds again to bloom after Christmas. Flourishes in a South-facing window and has been propagated successfully into blooming big plants from cuttings. Does well with cooler basement temperatures in a sunny window.

On Dec 1, 2005, docturf from Conway, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

I hav e two plants that date back to 1974. They have survived six moves and have provided many of my friends with "cuttings" which have never failed to bloom. Because of the many moves, I have had to divide these plants (for easier handling); otherwise, they would be enormous. At present, I have both of them in 16" pots since I usually move tham putside in late April and bing them back to the house in mid-October. docturf (Coastal S.C.)

On Nov 30, 2005, Duckyjan1 from Springfield, OR wrote:

I purchased this 3 years ago at the Safeway floral department, and this little cacti just keeps on giving such beautiful blossoms. It has been a delight on such dark and dismal winter days in the Northwest. I grow all of my cacti inside. I have one room that I keep them in on the south side of the house. When I have guests over, they can not believe the size of some of my various types of cacti, and the numerous blossoms on them.

On Jan 2, 2004, Chainsaw from Bethlehem, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I bought this plant at Wal-Mart this past during Thanksgiving. Plants growing in super-sized stores usually seem to loose thier buds almost immediately but it is now doing great and managed to even hang on to a few brillant blooms! Very nice addition to any Holiday Cacti collection. Got it in a 5" pot for $1.98, can't beat the price with a big ole stick!