PlantFiles: Four O'Clock, Marvel of Peru
Mirabilis jalapa 'Red Glow'

Family: Nyctaginaceae (nyk-taj-i-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Mirabilis (mih-RAB-ih-liss) (Info)
Species: jalapa (juh-LAP-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Glow

Synonym:Mirabilis jalapa subsp. lindheimeri
Synonym:Mirabilis lindheimeri

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

By broots

By discojim
Thumbnail #6 of Mirabilis jalapa by discojim

By shauna1219
Thumbnail #7 of Mirabilis jalapa by shauna1219

Positive thegardengoddess On Nov 28, 2010, thegardengoddess from Keremeos, BC (Zone 6b) wrote:

Zone 6B - This variety is the 'Wow' plant in my gardens. It combines nicely with Amaranth Hopi Dye behind it. Yes, it produces a lot of seeds, but I don't find it invasive, I just move the seedlings. The foliage is clean and neat until blooms appear in July, the plants topped out at 4' this year, more like an annual shrub. Again, a two green thumbs up!

Positive robcorreia On Aug 19, 2008, robcorreia from San Diego, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

These are very pretty and smell great at night! The red "glows"!
They pretty much take care of themselves, and I find it very usefull that they self seed.

Positive Lily_love On Aug 27, 2007, Lily_love from Central, AL (Zone 7b) wrote:

It seem to be a herbacious perennial here in my zone. For the plant upon returning its second year and its performance, appear much bigger, stronger than the few scattered seedlings that I've observed. Not at all invasive in MHO, seedlings usually are found in close proximity of the parents plants, thus pulling up is an easy task, and sharing them with others, is a joy. This was given to me as a start; the tradition will continue; pass-a-long plants. (I assumed that this is 'Red Glow' since, the owner that passed this beauty to me didn't know its name). Bright orchid pink?

Positive frostweed On Oct 18, 2005, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

My Red Glow Four O'clock developed by itself and is a mutation of all the other colors being crosspolinated by nature.
I have white, yellow, light pink, medium pink, fuchia, red, and varigated yellow with fuchia or red.
I think they are all beautiful, and their scent is amazing.

Positive LilyLover_UT On Jan 16, 2005, LilyLover_UT from Ogden, UT (Zone 5b) wrote:

This is my favorite Four O'Clock. The gorgeous color reminds me of fruit punch, and the flowers stay open longer than other varieties I've tried.

It self-sows prolifically, but I don't consider it invasive. The seedlings are easy to pull up, and the plants are not always hardy here in zone 5, although they will survive the winter if planted in a warm location like the south side of the house.

Neutral margu On Jul 20, 2003, margu from Los Angeles, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I give this plant a neutral rating because, as beautiful and easy to grow as it is, it is VERY INVASIVE. It self-sows freely and spreads like wildfire. New plants literally sprout up overnight, and within 2 to 3 days are at least 7 inches high. It takes constant vigilance to keep it (barely) under control. But it is beautiful, and you can certainly fill up a lot of empty space very quickly! I "inherited" this plant with a new house, and now I spend more time weeding the 4 o'clocks then I do the weeds!

Vincent, Alabama