PlantFiles: Variegated Virginia Creeper
Parthenocissus quinquefolia 'Variegata'

Family: Vitaceae (vee-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Parthenocissus (par-then-oh-KISS-us) (Info)
Species: quinquefolia (kwin-kway-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Variegata

Variegated

By Terry
Thumbnail #1 of Parthenocissus quinquefolia by Terry

By keepster
Thumbnail #2 of Parthenocissus quinquefolia by keepster

Positive JerusalemCherry On May 12, 2007, JerusalemCherry from Dunellen, NJ (Zone 6b) wrote:

*** Ever wonder how Virginia Creeper got its name? My best guess is someone from Virginia named it years ago. An old text book I have gives some good info on this plants name. Latin name is Parthenocissus quinquefolia, from greek parthenos (a virgin) and kissos (ivy) referring to the common name Virginia Creeper. The quinquefolia part meens with five leaves (leaflets).

This variety of Virginia Creeper is very showy (look on this website for a Virginia Creeper called Star Showers, its variegated too). Does not grow as fast as the standard the VC plant & it has the same care as the original species. I have two of these plants. One is grown outside in the ground & the other is grown as a bonsai.

Known cultivars as follows...
First we have Engelmanni - Smaller leaves and better clinging characteristics than the standered species. Next is Monham (Star Showers TM) - The leaves have white variegations. The tag that came with my Virginia Creeper says, Parthenocissus quinquefolia 'Monham' Plant Patent No. 10128, Star Showers. The company that grew it is Monrovia, listed out of Azusa, CA 91702. And lastly is Variegata - A less vigorous vine than the species, leaves marked with yellow and white then developing a pink and red fall color. May be the same as the Star Showers variety, not sure.

Neutral Petsitterbarb On Jul 9, 2003, Petsitterbarb from Claremore, OK wrote:

I really hate to rate this plant as neutral, and ONLY do so because it grows so darn fast that it has to be considered invasive. Other than that I LOVE IT! We began w/ this plant from a cutting in the 70's, from my parents acreage in Oklahoma, where it grew wild. We have brought some w/ us w/ each move, and still have it! It is disease free for us, and we consider it a graceful and lush vine. It covers a north brick wall and a south brick wall at our current home that otherwise would be bare. We do attend it regularly to avoid any damage, should it reach the wooden or shingles parts of the house. I also have it as a groundcover w/ my hostas, trimming or pulling it out before it covers the hostas. It's beautiful, if well kept. The fall colors are gorgeous, too.

Avon, Minnesota