Virginia Creeper, Woodbine 'Variegata'

Parthenocissus quinquefolia

Family: Vitaceae (vee-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Parthenocissus (par-then-oh-KISS-us) (Info)
Species: quinquefolia (kwin-kway-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Variegata

Orangeburg, New York

El Reno, Oklahoma

Millersville, Pennsylvania

On Jul 6, 2015, 4kaki from Frisco, TX wrote:

Love this plant growing in central Minnesota, zone 3. My husband dug a shallow hole to plant 4 of these vines before we left our lake home for the winter. Without any covering to protect these vines and being poorly planted, I was amazed when we returned the next summer that one of the vines had survived. It seems to like it's sunny and dry location and sandy loam soil. After 2 years now, it is about 3-4 feet tall. I need some advise on propagating this plant, as it is so hardy here in zone 3.

On Jul 9, 2003, Petsitterbarb from Claremore, OK wrote:

I really hate to rate this plant as neutral, and ONLY do so because it grows so darn fast that it has to be considered invasive. Other than that I LOVE IT! We began w/ this plant from a cutting in the 70's, from my parents acreage in Oklahoma, where it grew wild. We have brought some w/ us w/ each move, and still have it! It is disease free for us, and we consider it a graceful and lush vine. It covers a north brick wall and a south brick wall at our current home that otherwise would be bare. We do attend it regularly to avoid any damage, should it reach the wooden or shingles parts of the house. I also have it as a groundcover w/ my hostas, trimming or pulling it out before it covers the hostas. It's beautiful, if well kept. The fall colors are gorgeous, too.