PlantFiles: Winter Daphne, Fragrant Daphne
Daphne odora

Family: Thymelaeaceae
Genus: Daphne (DAF-nee) (Info)
Species: odora (oh-DOR-uh) (Info)

Partial to Full Shade

By ladyannne
Thumbnail #6 of Daphne odora by ladyannne

By Todd_Boland
Thumbnail #7 of Daphne odora by Todd_Boland

Neutral bolingbrook On Jul 8, 2012, bolingbrook from Cleveland Heights, OH wrote:

I am new to DG. Not sure how to initiate a stream of chat yet. I am looking for deer resistant plants and internet mentioned the daphne odora. But I am in Zone 6 in Northeast Ohio. (Of note this area was recently changed from Zone 5 to Zone 6; global warming in action.)
Any other daphnes or other plants that tolerate zone 6? I have heard deer hate the smell of lemon... Thanks.

Positive t_achurch On Jan 17, 2011, t_achurch from Hillsboro, OR wrote:

We moved into this house in Hillsboro Or (near Portland) in July. In November I wondered whether I should prune the three inconspicuous and unfamiliar small shrubs planted by the garage. I let them be. This morning, January 17th, I smelled an intoxicating aroma in the garage which became even stronger when the doors were opened. Those small shrubs covered in tiny white flowers were the source.

I have spent a pleasant half hour identifying these, now precious, 'unfamiliar, shrubs, discovering Dave's garden in the process.

Positive GeorgiaJo On Oct 7, 2006, GeorgiaJo from Dallas, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Ours is at least 6' across, probably 15 years old now. We never fertilize or water it and it thrives in light filtered shade. The aroma is incredible. A friend said she can walk down our road blindfolded and know when she's at our driveway - just by the aroma. The blooming generally starts early February and last for at least a month. Absolutely heaven. And, after blooming is finished, it's still a beautiful bush with bright glossy green leaves. No pests, no problems.

Positive ladyannne On May 2, 2005, ladyannne from Merced, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Can't have enough Daphne. I live for the late January bloom when the plant is in the winter greenhouse and you get pleasantly bowled over by the fragrance. The greenhouse is attached to the house, so I open all the windows and get Daphne smell through out the house. Can't have enough Daphne.

If the plant lives for two years, we are doing it right. Avoid transplanting, allow the roots to breathe (out of the direct sun) and the less water during the summer means more blooms the next winter. Take cuttings after bloom for more, more, more Daphne!

Positive pokerboy On Jun 28, 2004, pokerboy from Canberra
Australia (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have a quite large 20 year old Daphne odora plant growing in my backyard which receives winter sun and summer shade. Sometimes, in the summer when we go away on holidays, its soil can be bone dry for around a month, but it still grows happily. We don't even fertilize it!!! You wouldn't think that a plant that is so dainty would survive such tough, poor conditions. Well, it does in my garden in zone 8b. pokerboy

Positive Pollygardening On Apr 17, 2004, Pollygardening from RICHMOND, VA (Zone 7b) wrote:

These are gorgeous additions to my garden here in Richmond, VA - zone 7b. My beautiful leaf is variegated and the plants grow well above three feet. From February through March the whole patio is full of their scent -- an incredible promise of Spring!

Positive philomel On Apr 24, 2003, philomel from Castelnau RB Pyrenes
France (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is the Daphne to have if you have no other. It flowers very early and has the most delicious scent. It also strikes easily from cuttings in my experience.
It appreciates a warm situation where it can bask in the summer sun

Auburn, Alabama