Mountain Cornflower, Mountain Bluet, Perennial Cornflower 'Gold Bullion'

Centaurea montana

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Centaurea (sen-TAR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: montana (MON-tah-nuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Gold Bullion
Additional cultivar information:(PP10865)
Hybridized by Fielding
Registered or introduced: 1997

Medium Blue

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

Collect seedhead/pod when flowers fade; allow to dry

Athens, Alabama

Fallston, Maryland

Marbury, Maryland

Norton, Massachusetts

Grand Haven, Michigan

Grand Rapids, Michigan (2 reports)

Temperance, Michigan

Moxee, Washington

Menasha, Wisconsin

West Bend, Wisconsin

On May 23, 2012, Runningfarmer from Vancouver

I belong to a 4 acre community garden in zone 8 and I don't believe anyone has ever planted a Mountain Bluet but everyone has one, or two, or three...They are a beautiful, friendly (controllable) invasive and my bees love them.

On Jul 3, 2011, Gabrielle from (Zone 5a) wrote:

Planted in late summer of 2010 and it died by early summer 2011.

On Jul 8, 2009, jeagan from Mammoth Lakes, CA wrote:

this plant is impossible to kill, I've divided the root bundle dozens of times, and transplanted it to areas of my garden in which nothing else seems to grow. The plant seems to grow anywhere without much attention. The blossoms are beautiful, although meager compared to it's foliage.
However - for some reason this year when the blooms start to head, they're drying out and the blossoms are sickly looking. Is there some disease that would be causing this? or a bug munching on the early heads? anybody?

On May 14, 2009, Pupula from Greenwich, CT wrote:

Beautiful deep purplish blue flowers in mid May in my Zone 6 garden, it reblooms all summer long for me if I get tired of the leggy look I can shear it back, it is a prolific spreader so remember to deadhead and remove the seedlings if you don't want it to spread, unearthly looking neat flowers.

On Apr 7, 2009, zak1962 from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

A beautiful plant, but it definitely requires some attention. Purchased these at a local florist as English daisies, it was plainly evident that once flowered they had been mis-tagged.

In their third year I am discovering a lot of volunteer seedlings popping up everywhere despite continuous deadheading through out the growing season. This plant flowers from late April through first frost and is absolutely stunning.

It does have a tendency to get leggy, but as others have pointed out it is quick to grow back when prunned. It grows so thick I might be inclned to cut every third stem out this year to help maintain their shape.

On Sep 3, 2007, Fairy1004 from (bestest fairy)Temperance, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

Love it-very beautiful, I found the trick is that it does NOT like too much H2O, but everytime I get a bloom those stupid bunnies eat it that vey night...therefore it has basically become a 1 day bloomer for me, & I can't get any seeds for it to self sow.... If anyone knows how to keep bunnies from eating it short of going on night watch in my patio chair, let me know!!

On Mar 19, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Short 12-15" - Plant 16" apart. zone 3-8. Deep blue flowers form on upright stems in late spring, early summer. Spreads rapidly.

On Mar 30, 2006, donaldcorken from South Strafford, VT wrote:

I am a professional gardener and planted "Gold Bullion" in two of my zone 4b/5a gardens. The plants just sat in the ground without growing. And this was in gardens where the common centaurea montana grew like a weed. I gave them one more summer, and then they were added to the compost. I think the lack of chlorophyll that gives the plant it's distinctive color also contributes to its puny growth.

On Dec 7, 2005, bigcityal from Menasha, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have this plant named "Bluet". For better or worse this is a tough plant. It will rebloom quite well and if it looks ragged just chop it down and it starts over.

On Nov 10, 2005, Photographer from Moxee, WA (Zone 4a) wrote:

We live in a dry and sometimes windy area. Add to those conditions an occasional winter with -20 f degree temps ..... resulting in only the most hardy of plants surviving. Mountain Bluet is a rugged plant and a welcome addition to our gardens. It is beautiful and is thriving with blossoms from May through mid-October. I'm not the best of gardeners but this plant takes care of itself. We have little time to care for any one plant as our gardens are big and growing. This is the perfect plant for those who want a low maintenance flower.

On Sep 3, 2004, ceeadsalaskazone3 from Seward, AK wrote:

Once planted in Seward, Alaska it grows like a weed although it is easy to pull and eradicate if desired. Comes back year after year and spreads.

On Jan 17, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

If you're looking for an eye-popping color combination, this is it - chartreuse foliage and electric violet-blue flowers all on one plant.