Anise Hyssop, Licorice Mint
Agastache foeniculum 'Golden Jubilee'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Agastache (ah-gas-TAH-kee) (Info)
Species: foeniculum (fen-IK-yoo-lum) (Info) (fen-IK-yoo-lum) (Info)
Cultivar: Golden Jubilee

Herbs

Chartreuse/Yellow

Blue-Violet

Aromatic

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Weymouth,

Renton, Washington

Spokane, Washington

Huntington, West Virginia

On May 29, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

I planted this last year in several gardens (Boston Z6a). The foliage held up well through the season, looking like a bright chartreuse/golden coleus. It releases a delicious fragrance when rubbed, resembling licorice/anise.

This plant blooms for an exceptionally long season. The spikes of blue-violet lowers are very attractive to bees and butterflies. They are visually attractive, though not a showstopper.

All plants made it through the winter, which was a difficult one, and all plants have self-sown liberally. Seedlings appeared only within a few feet of the parent, and all have the chartreuse foliage of the parent. They are easily removed, but I'm delighted to have more plants.

On Jul 2, 2012, growmygarden from Aurora, CO wrote:

In Denver, CO, I grew Golden Jubilee from seed this year via wintersowing and planted in the ground in May. It is early July, now, and the plants are still small, but they are coming along. Beautiful chartreuse foliage. I can't wait to see if full grown!

On Jul 2, 2012, herbella from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

I have planted Anise Hyssop from seed many times, but with no result. I have also bought it as a seedling at a growers' market only to have it die. Others in our region have apparently gotten it to survive and grow, but it doesn't seem to like our neighborhood. Perhaps our soil is too sandy, or it may be too dry, although I water it. Whatever the reason, I have had no success with it.

On Jul 2, 2012, grogan from Markham

I planted Anise Hyssop in my boulevard next to an Ash Tree over 11 years ago. It comes back every year holding its shape and attracting both bees and butterflies. Although the Ash Tree (blue) has flourished and creates a lot of shade, this has not affected this plant that was meant for a sunny, dry boulevard. I love the taste of the leaves - really tastes like licorice with no calories.

I would love to know what dietary or medicinal benefits this plant provides from an expert. Both leaves and flowers are just gorgeous in full bloom and afterwards. My plant has grown to the three feet anticipated and is very full, resembling a shrub. Nothing affects it - neither insects nor mildew. I have never tried to propagate or split it since I don't want to lose it.

On Apr 6, 2012, tcs1366 from Leesburg, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Love this Agastache. Nice, bright foliage. Does well in my zone 5, does not spread like other hardy hyssops, at least for me. Going to try it in zone4b to see if it survives.

On Jul 18, 2011, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

This grows well for me in zone 4a on the north side of my house. The color combination is stunning, it's fragrant, it draws butterflies like a magnet, it blooms for a long time, and it's very low maintenance. You can't ask for more than that. This is a must-have perennial.
Update 2012: this has begun to self-seed like crazy. I'm not sure if the babies will be true to the parents. It's easy to just rake up or pull out what you don't want.

On Jul 16, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Loving this plant, I used it in place of chartreuse sun coleus this year at a landscape installation, no burnt foilage, great height, and the addition of another color with the flowers. I plan on bringing a few home when the season is over in the fall and using them in my own garden. Probably will use this again in the same location since it did so well. Blooming first growing season from seed is a big plus as well, big payoff for less payout :0)
I also grew this plant in a container next to some Blackbird Euphoria, great contrast, it has already shown its multiplication for 2012 at the base of the plant. I will be growing more from splitting and from seed this year. No special care and even added a Dwf Blueberry plant since it attracted so many bees in 2011. Fab Plant.

On Jul 4, 2010, gojo from Camano Island, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

this was the first agastache I grew. It reseeded and seedlings
came back for the first couple years true to color. Now I have several different cultivars and get unpredictable seedlings. I now divide rootballs to get true to parent plants. Mixed seedlings are fun also. You never know exactly what you get.

On May 8, 2010, Kazooguy from Kalamazoo, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

SalviaFanatic5,
I have had very good luck with this plant. I planted it just last year in my vegetable garden to attract beneficial insects, and it definitely did that. I frankly wasn't sure if it would survive the winter here in SW Michigan, but it was one of the first perennials to come up in early spring. Its stunning color, at a very drab time of year, was most welcome. It also makes a delicious tea.
Mike

On May 1, 2010, SalviaFanatic5 from Dover, DE wrote:

I was hoping this plant would survive in 7a. I was upset to see it not come back the next year. Apparently, it is grown as a tender perennial or annual. I'm a fanatic for bees, and I was dissapointed with the results. I would love to find a hardy hyssop plant to have in my bee garden.

On Mar 25, 2010, anyoltime from Brandon, FL wrote:

i had a tuff start w/ these in full sun on a heat island location
but then i grew some in full morning sun with filterd midafternoon and evening sun and ther are doing very well.
started beaking ground on 02 15 11 . so this is year 2 for this neat perrenial. nice foliage smell and flowers.

On Jul 15, 2009, DenverJude from Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love this plant. Thrives with very little water. Beautiful foliage color and the blue blooms in mid summer are an added plus. Smells good too.

On Apr 24, 2008, yahnke from Fargo, ND wrote:

This plant has been a favorite in our garden for at least 5 years... Fargo is Zone 3. It does wonderfully and the original plant and many seedlings are doing just great with no winter mulching.

On Jan 30, 2008, hymenocallis from Auburn, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

I first found this plant in 2005, a lady I work wanted it identified. I took a few seeds from it(was in a pot) and planted them and viola they emerged. Put one in a pot in 2006 and one in the ground.
2007 my wife trying to be helpful threw the one in the pot onto our compost pile and buried it with other compost. later in 2007 it emerged from its burial and made a beautiful plant right in the middle of the compost pile. By the way the other one got 4 feet tall and was beautiful all year. I figure since my wife buried it and it grew anyway I could add Auburn, AL as a place it grows and survives.
WDE

On Aug 10, 2007, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Another beautiful Agastache! I love it so much I bought another to add to my garden.

Love growing all Agastaches! One of my favorite plants!

On Mar 18, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Medium 20". This newplant has yellow/chartreuse, mint-scented foliage and lavender blue flowers that are good for cutting.

On Mar 7, 2007, Bellisgirl from Spokane, WA wrote:

Ive been growing this plant for about three years. It has beautiful golden foliage and pritty light blue flowers, which have a pleasant licorice scent. It does reseeds quite a bit, but not at all in an invasive way. Butterflys seem to like it too. The only reason im giving it a neutral instead of a positive is because my plants tend to get weedy looking after they finnish blooming.

On Nov 23, 2006, godsplace from Toledo, IA (Zone 4a) wrote:

golden jubilee is supposed to be hardy to zone 5or6 but there is another that is exactly like it called aurea thats hardy to zone 4. here golden jubilee has grown minnesota tho great accent plant--these easily grow from cuttings not just root division--shalom

On Nov 10, 2006, Shirley1md from Ellicott City, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant is an All American Selection Winner. It won this pretigious award for outstanding garden performance in trial gardens all over North America.

On May 24, 2006, hawallace from Austin, MN (Zone 4b) wrote:

I am zone 4b. I grew this from seed last year (2005), but it did not get large enough to flower. I was disappointed and figured it was a lost cause over winter, so I did not cover or mulch or anything. It was rated for zone 6 in the seed catalog. This spring something popped up early, amidst the hyacinth. I could not figure out what it was until the leaves unfurled and I could see the golden color. I was amazed. The plant was not covered during any of the cold snaps this spring and shows no damage. It has a "fresh" lemon-lime color, which was very striking growing through the very green hyacinth stems. Now it will provide a nice screen when the hyacinth stems and leaves wither away.

On May 22, 2006, kmenzel from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

Although my mother in White Bear Lake, Minnesota (Zone 4a), received this plant a few years ago with the info that it would be a tender annual, it has survived and seeded in her yard for three winters now. She even has some that winters just fine in a raised container. I live in St. Paul, Minnesota, which is theoretically Zone 4a as well, but being in the city bumps me into Zone 5 at least. This plant is doing very well at my place too. One of my favorite characteristics is that it retains its golden green color, unlike some of the other chartreuse perennials that lose their spring zing as the season progresses. My one complaint is that it seeds everywhere.

On Sep 30, 2005, northgrass from West Chazy, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

I started my plants from seeds in spring 2005. They germinated quite easily and once transplanted outside grew quickly and bloomed. Bees and butterflies love these.

The following remarks are being made Dec. 2007. Most of the plants survives our cold winter and reseeds quite happily.

They emerge much earlier in the spring than the A. Rupestris.

On Aug 26, 2005, Don_Quixote from Bilbao
Spain (Zone 9b) wrote:

It's a beautiful plant, but be careful with white flies

On Aug 12, 2003, sueone from Weymouth, Dorset
United Kingdom (Zone 9a) wrote:

this is a fantastic little plant.The foliage colour alone makes it worthy of a space in the garden. The flowers are a great contrast with it, looks good with red foliage plants such as amaranthus,or red leaved heucheras.
What makes it even better is that you can sow it early in the season, and have large flowering plants that summer.
It is always smothered in flying insects, so great for those wishing to attact wildlife to the garden.