Tomato 'Jelly Bean'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Jelly Bean

Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Canyon, Texas

Leander, Texas

On Sep 16, 2012, donnyczech from Sioux Falls, SD (Zone 4b) wrote:

I grew one plant this year and had plenty of cherry tomatoes. The fruit is good and perfect for grazing on while I was working in the garden. Not many of them made it inside. The growing season was tough, high temps and no rain, but the plant did well anyway. I planted it in a raised bed surrounded by newspapers and wood chips, which helped to retain moisture. I suggest only growing one plant as is attested by the other people who have commented on this plant. Fairly prolific.

On Jul 30, 2012, ChiefWolfe from Elk Grove, CA wrote:

This is my first year growing Jelly Bean. I started with a plant purchased from a big-box store in April. Over this spring and summer, the weather in Northern California has not been a great year for tomatoes. However, once Jelly Bean became happy in in it's raised bed it started to grow at a moderate speed and produced lots of fruit by May. When the weather got warmer, the plant transformed into a giant --- nearly taking over our neighbor's garage wall and fruiting prolifically up to 8-10 above the ground! The fruit is the size of a large cherry tomato with a mild taste. I find it perfect to slice in half and add to green salads. Since I have a very small area to garden, this large plant is probably not the best choice for me but I would recommend it for someone who enough growing spac... read more

On Oct 13, 2011, Jeanne72 from Round Lake, IL wrote:

I started these plants inside, late (May 1), in a sterile potting medium, with one seed per cup. Almost every single seed took and sprouted within 2-3 weeks time. Once they sprouted, I moved the plants outside to a protected area and then grew short and stocky with regular watering. By the last week of June they were about 3-4 inches in height, with several leaves, not leggy, but lacking nutrition from the sterile mix, and thus starting to have difficulty. I then put them in 3-inch peat pots filled with a mixture of Tomato Tone, Mushroom compost, and soil. I chose the 14 strongest plants, and transplanted in the peat pots into a raised bed, next to the house that gets about 80% sun and is well protected.

Once placed in the bed, the plants took off, growing like mad. St... read more

On Apr 14, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

My 2 year old chose these seed to try, First seedlings dampened off, the next few look great ?. Looking forward to the harvesting

On Feb 3, 2008, RichHurley from New Freedom, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Just about the sweetest grape tomato I've ever run across. Everyone I share with raves over the flavor. If you're going to grow a grape tomato, this is the one!

On May 1, 2004, gman500 from Manteca, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

A fairly large red cherry with an excellent flavor. My favorite red cherry so far. I am growing them again this year.

On Jan 17, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Very prolific producer. Tomatoes dried well.