PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Goliath Hybrid'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Goliath Hybrid

Thumbnail #5 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by metallic

By LUGAN
Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by LUGAN

Positive Angw11 On Apr 27, 2014, Angw11 from Chico, CA wrote:

I grew this last summer and loved it. The tomatoes were delicious. I didn't get a high yield, but I have been fighting fusarium so that it survived and produced was good, and I really liked the tomatoes, even compared to other heirlooms like Brandywine.

Positive 11Bravo On Jul 2, 2012, 11Bravo from Menomonee Falls, WI wrote:

I found this plant to do very well in what should not have been the best place or conditions. Very hearty, and I disagree with the poster about the flavor. A great sandwich tomato and made good marinara, too!!

Positive Cyberpotato On Dec 11, 2011, Cyberpotato from Hermann, MO (Zone 6b) wrote:

Have grown for five years as mild tasting standard multipurpose tomato. Taste does not compare to better heirlooms, but I was looking for quantities of decent tomatoes. Prune them to two leaders or trellis them greenhouse style to one leader. They will get up to eight - nine feet. I got mine out as early as possible and they were loaded with tomatoes before the Missouri summer heat set in. They took well to a professional grower’s fertilizer regiment. They pumped out the tomatoes for about five weeks before succumbing to gray leaf mold. They are more irregular than Mountain Fresh but did out-produce them slightly. The taste didn’t hold up to high tunnel growing when a friend tried it. Suspect they’ll be on the bland side in cool weather areas.

Positive habaneros On Aug 14, 2011, habaneros from Manitou, KY wrote:

have grown this variety for 4 years. Always a must in our garden. Doesn't have the flavor of heirlooms, but is great for canning. Of the 150 tomato plants every year in my garden, Goliath always will have a place.

Negative AllanHoltz On Sep 15, 2010, AllanHoltz from Saint Paul, MN wrote:

I bought 12 Goliath tomato plants from a local top-notch garden center (Dege's Garden Center). I set them out in late May (after Minnesota frost season). The only things I found to be true about these plants were that they did prove to be disease resistant and they did grow to 6-8 feet of height. A week ago (September 8) I picked my first tomato. This hardly qualifies for the supposed 55-65 days to maturity! Based on the number of green fruit on these plants I will be lucky to harvest 20 tomatoes total before frost...The 4 tomatoes I have now picked are about 0.5 pound each in size, much less than the supposed 1 pound size predicted for this variety. The taste is OK. Most dissappointed about the yield.

Negative greg079 On Nov 9, 2009, greg079 from Seminole, FL wrote:

This Tomato was a big dissapointment, first off the plants were unhealthy from the start, were slow to grow, and friut production was poor, friut that did set had bad sun scorhing and taste was bland, pass on this one.

Positive BuckeyeNeal On Jul 10, 2009, BuckeyeNeal from Raleigh, NC wrote:

Our first to raise Goliath in a garden next to woods. In a side-by-side comparison with Improved Whopper, I was pleased with both the size of the Goliath fruit and the production of the plants. Was also able to generate second and third seedlings by propagating from suckers.

Negative lssfishhunter On Jan 14, 2009, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I was not satisfied with Goliath. Everything I read about this variety was postive. However, the only thing that remained consistent was the large size of the tomatoes. These tomatoes did not keep well after harvest and the taste did nothing for the tongue.

Negative rebecca101 On Mar 15, 2008, rebecca101 from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

I did not like Goliath at all. Fruit didn't ripen until mid-July - later than other varieties that were supposed to be mid-season. The fruits were not large, and flavor was just terrible - harsh and sour, no matter how ripe. Very unbalanced. Texture was hard and woody. (I am comparing it to the heirlooms of course, which is maybe unfair :-)

Positive metallic On Aug 16, 2007, metallic from St. Catharines, ON (Zone 6b) wrote:

While it is true that Goliath is more prone to catfacing than smaller-fruited varieties, it is usually only a minor problem and does not affect the interior or the flavour. I found the same attributes as most other reviewers. This plant is vigorous, disease resistant and produces an ample crop of large rich-tasting tomatoes. In a taste test, it beat Big Beef hands down. Goliath set the new standard for my garden this year. I just need to remember to order more seeds from Tomato Growers!

Note: This variety is more productive if pruned to 2 or 3 main stems. One stem will give you noticeably lower yields, even taking into account the slight difference in tomato size.

Neutral rjones8194 On Jul 25, 2007, rjones8194 from Independence, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

We grew the Goliath Hybrid as a trial this year and weren't really that impressed with it. The fruits were large but were worse about cracking and more malformations than my other varieties - Big Bite, Better Boy Early Girl. The Goliath's flavor was alright but a bit of the mild side in my opinion. My Early Girls and Better Boys seemed to perform a lot better -more tomatoes, uniformity of fruit and no cracking, better flavor.

Positive blackbunny On Sep 21, 2006, blackbunny from Provincetown, MA wrote:

I join the chorus of Praise for this tomato. I ordered a "Goliath Collection" of four types (Early, Bush, Italian, and this one) after having lousy luck with wilt with my beloved heirloom varieties. It's productive, delicious, handsome, and healthy. And early. This one and the "Italian Goliath" beat even the "Early Goliath" in bearing fruit. They keep well and are uniformly large and tasty, meaty and sweet. Very little cracking and dropping off the vine. Have been good for slicing (BLTs!) and roasting, and even sauce as they are quite meaty. A great tomato here on Cape Cod, land of the capricious summer weather.

Positive jallaway On Dec 20, 2005, jallaway from Houston, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

The best performer for the Houston area that I've had in years. Did great in my combination of poor soil and terrible heat and humidity. I've used both Goliath and Goliath Early.
My only complaint was they matured and all got eaten weeks before our local garden's center tomato contest

Positive Mac200 On Jun 29, 2004, Mac200 from Maysville, MO wrote:

We have been using this hybrid for our home garden the past several years. Have had good luck with Goliath and Early Goliath. One time, we had low germination with the Early Goliath, but other packets of this seed have been fine.

We have many people ask what kind of tomato we grew after they had either tasted the tomato or had seen the plants in our garden. I am sold on this variety.

Positive ekelers On Mar 16, 2004, ekelers wrote:

The seeds I planted in February germinated quickly and are growing nicely under grow lights. I have never had good luck starting tomato seeds indoors until I tried Goliath.

Positive daled73 On Feb 28, 2004, daled73 from Pompano Beach, FL wrote:

As a long ime gardener who moved to Ft. Lauderdale area a few years back, I just put in a winter garden for the first time (had to demolish 400 sq feet of patio concrete to do it!). Planted one Goliath tomato amidst a selection of many varieties, to see which performed best in this hot, humid environment.

Goliath exceeded all other plants, including beefsteak, which also made many large tomatos, but had many cracked or misshaped fruits. Some others did well, too, but none did better, or made more large well shaped and tasty tomatos.

Will be planting more, as long as I can get either the plants or the seeds. Does anyone have a see source they can recommend?

Positive ZenZinnia On Nov 22, 2003, ZenZinnia from Lakeview, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

We planted golioth for the first time this year 2003, and like the others here said,they were large, tasty,and early. I have already purchased the seed for next season and they will be our main crop for the table and canning.

Positive Michaelp On Nov 22, 2003, Michaelp from Glendale, UT (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have been growing Goliath hybrid as a greenhouse crop,since 1997.Because I grow vegies [mostly]organicaly,I have had a lot of disease problems,mostly spread by insects,but some soil born also,Goliath and miracle sweet are the only survivors after years of testing [close to 100 varrities][although this year Johnnys big beef is still hanging in there.When you have 700 plants in close proximity to each other for 10 months it takes a lot disease resistance to survive-this one has.

Positive Wylynn On Nov 14, 2003, Wylynn from Powell, WY wrote:

I have been growing Goliaths in Northern Wyoming for the past 3 years and have nothing but praise for the disease resistance, heavy production and delicious flavor. I start from seed on 3-1 of each year and set out in a portable greenhouse about 4-15 anf have tomatoes by 7-1 of each year. It is the only variety I will have next year! I agree that you should only use seed purchased from a reputable dealer.

Positive Geodes On Aug 21, 2003, Geodes from Bloomington, IN (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have grown this plant for 5 yrs now, and each year the amount of fruit produced is remarkable. I start with seed from a seed company, never save seed as I did that one year and was surprized that I got in return about a third of the crop I had been getting. This is a super tomatoe and I only grow this type anymore. Excellent taste, 1 lb+ fruits, and produces a huge yield. 12 plants produced 325lbs
in 2002. Try it you will like your results that you get.
Geodes

Positive Twofox On Aug 2, 2003, Twofox wrote:

I bought 6 Goliath tomato plants while on a fishing trip to Tennessee. We live in Illinois, so our planting time is late and winter comes fairly early. Goliath produced ripe tomatoes by July 4. The fruits are fairly large; I estimate the largest ones so far are about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds. The plants are healthy, full of fruit, and have lots of blooms. I've top-pruned the plants to ensure that the fruit on the vines ripens before cold weather. This tomato variety will get more room in my garden next spring!

Positive bat69 On Jul 28, 2003, bat69 from Ramer, TN wrote:

Never knew of this tomato until this year. I planted 36 plants and had a very big crop of tomatoes. First ripe tomatoe June 15, and had a lot of large ones. Canned a lot of tomatoes, gave a lot of tomatoes away and they're still putting on tomatoes. Nice large fruit, good taste - great tomato.

Thomasville, Alabama