Tomato 'Old German'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Old German

Salt Lake City, Utah

Bellevue, Washington

Kennewick, Washington

On Jun 15, 2013, imuneekru from ESSINGTON, PA wrote:

I was fortunate enough to get a hold of this heirloom through an Amish family that sells at our local farmers' market. I have grown close relatives of this tomato type before and they are very sensitive to disease and cracking, as other posters suggested. The fruit, however, is glorious in a salad. It is sweet and mild (low-acid) and has very thick flesh making it good for sandwiches as well. I'm growing it this year from saved seed, and so far the plant seems vigorous. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

On Oct 11, 2010, satkins from (Zone 6a) wrote:

Slow to get going, but still ripening in mid october in salt lake city. I have had a lot of variation in size from golf ball to baseball or slightly larger. Beautiful when sliced -yellow and red mosaic, but do tend to have cracks and blemishes but I used only natural fertilizer and no pesticides. Sweet and delicious -will definitely plant again.

On Sep 14, 2010, kellydz from Richland, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

Grew this for the 1st time this year. Plants are very tall (about 9 feet) and definitely not resistant to bacterial spot. Tomatoes were prone to cracking but that could have been from foliage loss from spot. All that said, I will absolutely grow this again from the seed I saved because the tomatoes are huge, fragrant, and delicious

On May 6, 2006, dvrmte from Pelzer, SC wrote:

have grown this one for about 15 years in zone 7 of south carolina. huge tomatoes that are very tasty. this seed came from relatives in piedmont region of north carolina. it has been in this family for a long time as their descendants are from germany that migrated in the 1700's. it is not disease resistant at all and rarely lives until frost.

On Jul 30, 2005, Big_Red from Bethelridge, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

Less than average yield, large pink/red fruit with very good flavor, tends to 'catface'.