PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Tigerella'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Tigerella
Additional cultivar information: (aka Mr. Stripey)

» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Thumbnail #6 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Joan

By ocimum_nate
Thumbnail #7 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by ocimum_nate

Neutral goulot On Aug 31, 2011, goulot from Canton, MI wrote:

I purchased Tigerella seeds from Thomson & Morgan in 2009, grew them in 2009 and again in 2010. I did not like them, mostly because the skin was unpleasantly thin and tough and because they kept craking. I decided not to grow them again.

However, I must have thrown one or two in the compost bin and this year, after I moved the bin, I found tomato seedlings growing where the bin had spent the winter. I kept one seedling because it was right next to the fence and therefore needed no staking or caging of any kind (I also gave it only one Jobe's spike, instead of two). That plant is loaded with tomatoes the size of a golf ball, and they taste pretty good too. Although it is in a "full-sun" location (against a south-facing brick wall) it is shaded by a huge Tomande plant. Could that be the explanation? Do some tomatoes do better when shaded?

Conclusion: Do not discard your old tomatoes; just throw them here and there in the garden and see what you get (and let us know...).

Neutral DonShirer On Aug 31, 2008, DonShirer from Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

Was given seeds of "Mr. Stripey" by another gardener, it turned out to be the smaller "Tigerella", not the large bicolor. It does have attractive but faint yellow-green stripes over an orange-red base, and a thick skin. Two plants in different locations both showed excessive catfacing despite regular watering. Fairly good production, but the taste was just average, so I don't plan to grow this again.

Positive Marchem On Feb 2, 2006, Marchem from Lages
Brazil wrote:

We planted a variety Mr. Stripey (tigerella), we bought the seeds like a heirloom.
In South of Brazil we have a great succes with this variety. The fruits are very regular in shape and colour, excelent taste, very very resistant (we have 15 varieties and this is one of most healthy plants).
Any plant with more or less 80 healthy fruits.
Sensacional, now we need to see the seeds to next year.

Neutral CatskillKarma On Nov 14, 2004, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

I grew a tigerella tomato from seed about five years ago in a container on my balcony in Brooklyn, NY. It was billiard ball size, and a very dark yellow and orangey red stripe. A very beautiful tomato, but not particularly good eating. Mine had very tough skin--may have been the growing conditions in Brooklyn, many Brooklynites are thick-skinned LOL and I have had that problem with all balcony tomatoes. They were not particularly soft or gel-like, just not particularly flavorfull.

Negative Crimson On Nov 13, 2004, Crimson from Clarksville, TN (Zone 6b) wrote:

When I grew this in WI last year my experience was exactly like DaylilySLP.... they were mushy, you couldn't even cut them, they were not fit to eat. They were soft, even when picked before fully ripe they are 90% seeds and gel. I will never try these again, although they looked quite pretty I'd prefure to have them edible! I grew this from seed from Thompson Morgan, "Tigerella".

Positive Sequee On Jul 25, 2004, Sequee from Carmel, NY (Zone 6b) wrote:

Tiegerella is listed as an Heirloom by both Tomato Fest (Chuck Wyatt) and Laurel's Heirloom Tomatoes. A

I haven't eaten any yet - they are still in the early growing stages. The plant is big and beautiful, and is growing in an EarthBox with a Tangelo - also doing fabulously. The Tigerella suffered some kind of blite/fungus early on, but seems to have bounced back since I removed the infected stem and branches.

The actual tomato is adorable - it starts out a perfectly round pea and retains the pea color and round shape as it grows, adding the dark green striping when it gets about walnut size. I can't wait to taste it! If it tastes anywhere near as good as it looks, it's a keeper!

UPDATE 9/5 - Interesting tomato flavor - a bit tart, rich and very juicy. Prone to splitting and the skin is a little thick when eating it. Very prolific. We had alot of rain this year and many of my plants suffered a fungus (?) - despite the fact that the branches and stalks appeared to be dying and alot of the leaves fell off early, the plant continued to produce throughout the summer, though the fruit are quite small ( 1-2 ounces).

Positive laurestar On Feb 24, 2004, laurestar wrote:

I bought a Mr. Stripey tomato plant last year and successfully grew it amid seven other tomato plants. Among the varieties I was growing, this tomato was by far the most flavorful and beautiful; in fact, it was the best tomato I have ever had. Unfortunately I did not collect seed from it and am hoping to be able to find this type of tomato again this year. I do not know which type of Mr. Stripey it was but I suspect it was the hybrid since I bought it from Home Depot. Since I am from Georgia, I have come to the conclusion that this variety grows best in a very very warm climate, and with proper care will yield amazing results.

Neutral Farmerdill On Nov 6, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have never grown the Tigerella ( The biliard ball size English tomato) Have grown the large beefsteak Mr. Stripey. Back in 1971 I did try a small striped tomato called the Tiger. Pretty much fits the decription of Tigerella. What is confusing is the reference to "hybrid". Tigerella is listed by Heirloom tomatoes (Chuck Wyatt), Tomato Growers Supply, and Totally Tomatoes as open pollinated. I know the beefsteak Mr, Stripey is an OP so where does one get the "hybrid"?

Positive eje On Sep 19, 2003, eje from San Francisco, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Looking in the Seeds of Change catalog for good short season tomatoes, found Tigerella (among others). Started seeds in early spring and then planted out in a large container. Healthy vigorous tall plant, no pests of note, heavy producer of very tasty small-ish fruit. Perfect for salads. Any tomato that does this well here in the fog of San Francisco, is a winner for me. Will plant more again next year.

Positive marciann On Sep 19, 2003, marciann wrote:

I am growing three plants in the Silicon Valley in California. I have the hybrid. They are producing VERY large fruit - I had one over a pound! The taste is very sweet and I plan to add more plants to next year's garden. They mature late - it is the end of September and I am still getting new fruit on the plants, but it is nice to have such good tomatoes so late into fall.

Positive dokutaaguriin On Sep 13, 2003, dokutaaguriin from Airdrie
Canada (Zone 3a) wrote:

A very productive plant with albeit small golf ball sized fruit. I grew mine in pots in my greenhouse in Airdrie, Alberta, Canada. I enjoyed the old-fashion flavour of this tomato and will grow again next year.

Positive DoW_Oldman On Sep 1, 2003, DoW_Oldman from St. Petersburg, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Due to the fact that my garden space in the city is small I rotate and try out different tomato plants. I have to say that this tomato was an excellent eating fruit. I had no more problems with it then any other tomato plant I have tried. (Of course after every rain I give the plant's foliage a bicarb mixed with compost tea!)

I purchase a great deal of seeds from "Totally Tomatoes" - if you would like the try out the real deal, they have Tigerella seeds. Enjoy!

Positive Levi On Aug 15, 2003, Levi from Yale, OK wrote:

I planted 5 of this variety. I think it was the hybrid. Four out of the five gave excellent fruit, and a lot of it.The fifth plant never set one fruit but it did grow over 12 feet tall.

Neutral FCivish On Aug 15, 2003, FCivish from South Jordan, UT wrote:

There are TWO VERY DIFFERENT TOMATOES called 'Mr. Stripey'

This variety - 'Mr. Stripey' aka 'Tigerella' came from England. It has a small size, round shape and excellent tangy flavor. More and more people are calling it just 'Tigerella', because another variety (also bi-color, but a large, lobed, beefsteak) is also called 'Mr. Stripey'.

The latter 'Mr. Stripey' has a relatively poor flavor and poor growth habit; many people have heard about the "good" 'Mr. Stripey'/'Tigerella' but often unwittingly purchase the bi-color beefsteak, and they're disappointed.

Positive greghost On Jun 27, 2003, greghost from West Baldwin, ME wrote:

Start early and transplant to large peat pot, plant outside after last frost,(usually end of may)I live in western foothills Maine. Plant in breezy location but not windy and stake well. Fertilize regular, fruit not as large as stated on seed pack (baseball size) but attractive, very tasty and cans well. I have had no problems with wilt or mildew, but this is only second year.

Positive flowerofshona On Jun 25, 2003, flowerofshona wrote:

I have grown these for three years now and love the taste and the yield is high, i grow them under glass.
They are prone to blight but do recover with a little tlc

Negative HomeGrown On Jun 24, 2003, HomeGrown from Midlothian, VA wrote:

Tried growing Mr. Stripey in Richmond, VA and had bad luck with some kind of pests. Everything else in the garden grew fine (including other varieties of tomatoes). Disease resistance was low. I won't try this one again.

Negative Sly On Feb 28, 2003, Sly wrote:

This is the 3rd time I have tried to grow this tomato. I am fairly certain that I have the hybrid version and not the heirloom. I am hoping for more luck with this go around. Each of the previous attempts have produced beautiful plants. But no fruit, no blossoms. My other tomatoes do wonderfully and have great flavour. I am hoping that this one will come throught this time. I have planted several plants this time in hopes that they were just lonesome before! :) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Neutral lupinelover On Jan 18, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

There are two distinct varieties named 'Mr. Stripey' - one is a beefsteak heirloom but 'Tigerella' (aka 'Mr. Stripey') is a hybrid. It is very difficult to be certain which you are buying, unless the seller is familiar with both kinds.

Menifee, California