Tomato 'German Johnson Pink'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: German Johnson Pink

Richmond, Virginia

Beaver, West Virginia

Romney, West Virginia

On Aug 4, 2013, CaliforniaGuy from Lakewood, CA wrote:

Very good tasting tomatoes BUT I seem to only get about 5 fruit per bush per year.

On Sep 11, 2011, lorrizz from Bucyrus, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

I planted several heirloom varieties this year and German Johnson was by far the best of them. I will always save a place for this one in my garden.

On Apr 18, 2011, Ragusea from Summerland Key, FL wrote:

Report from the Florida Keys: A lot of the tomatoes I grew living in the north don't do well here. But, I'm telling you folks, German Johnson is the best growing tomato I've found for Key West Florida. Lots of good sized fruit over a long period of time. I planted a seedling in December and I'm still picking tasty fruit in late April.

On Aug 1, 2010, dkagle from Centreville, VA wrote:

The yields and taste from this tomato can not be beat. Along with Brandywine it is the best tasting tomato of the 30 varieties I am growing this year. Current yields stand at 15 1/2 pounds with much more to come.

Plant this variety as early as possible and advanced staking techniques are needed since it grows very tall. I recommend 3 12 ft stakes with rope every foot ( huge tomato cage ) around the stakes. I also have tied this to the fence to keep it from falling over in the wind. The plant is currently 10 feet tall as of Aug 1st.

On Sep 1, 2009, DonShirer from Westbrook, CT (Zone 6a) wrote:

Got some in a seed exchange and it turned out to be the best survivor of the New England late blight scourge. Big beefy fruit and excellent taste.

On Aug 21, 2009, Doclollar from Toledo, OH wrote:

My father has been growing this tomato for over 40 years. After he passed, none were planted for several years. This year I found seeds saved from a variety of years ago and planted them. They still came up. The plants are big, heavy and very strong. Other than the tomato worm, not much harms it. They need to be heavily staked, mine are over 6 feet tall. The fruits are somtimes over 6 inches across. An easy was to save seed is to squeeze seed onto a paper towel from multiple tomatos, let dry and store in a cool dry place. This has worked well for any variety we have saved for many decades. Just pull off the seed and plant. They do take a long time to grow, but the fruit is meaty, and has very few seeds in comparison to size.

On Mar 10, 2009, lssfishhunter from Jonesville, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is my favorite pink tomato as far as taste. They make a great tomato sandwich. However, I don't get a lot of production out of them so I rarely plant them anymore. Tomatoes have the capability of getting quite large but often quite ugly. I prefer this variety over German Queen.

On May 28, 2008, sgriffith from Beaver, WV (Zone 5b) wrote:

I believe this is the best tasting tomato! I raise several Heirloom varieties each year. And I also raise big-boy and better boy hybrids. In my opinion, these are the best tomato for raw eating, salads, sandwiches and washing it off and eating it like an apple.

I assume this is the same as what I call Pink German. I got the original plant from a local nursery.

On Dec 27, 2006, lynnstarrs from El Cerrito, CA wrote:

Wonderful plant that survived repeated gopher attacks to produce wonderful tomatoes. In our tiny garden, we are making room for it again this year (and fencing out the gopher).

On Aug 2, 2006, bluekat76 from Ijamsville, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have two of these plants this year. One is over 8' tall! Huge pink fruits all over 1.5 lbs!! This is the one slice BLT tomato.

On Sep 10, 2005, hurono from Troy, OH wrote:

Recommended by a local heirloom gardener and it was excellent. Plenty of tomatoes, fine flavor and few with any problems. One of my favorite reds (pinks).

On Oct 6, 2003, RStewart from Carson City, NV wrote:

We bought this as a 1-gallon plant at Half Moon Bay nursery, CA, and brought it home to Carson City NV. Not having information on it, we planted it too close, so it intergrew with a Sweet 100, to no ill effect. What a great tomato the German Pink is! Large, meaty fruit. For a long time we didn't think it was going to set fruit; when it finally began, it set many fine, large tomatoes. Salad at dinner tonight was two saucer-size half-inch slices from one tomato (with avocado and cottage cheese).
Our plant was on red plastic, but by the time it had grown to size, I don't think the red plastic made any difference--you couldn't see it anymore.
We look forward to growing it again next year.

On Mar 29, 2003, tomato_lady from Crossville, TN (Zone 6a) wrote:

We simply call this variety German Pink. I planted 6 of them last year to try them out, and put them along side my Brandywine and Mortgage Lifeter plants - all potato leaf varieties.

I found this variety to be a little more tart than the Brandywine - but just as wonderful. Again, these heirlooms are not "carefree" growers, but they are well worth the extra effort.

On Mar 12, 2003, lynn55 wrote:

This tomato makes wonderful tomato sandwiches in the summer time. Out of the different types I have tried this is the overall best!