PlantFiles: Rabbit's Foot Fern, Lacy Paw, Lacy Hare's Foot, Fijian Hares' Foot Fern
Davallia fejeensis

Family: Davalliaceae
Genus: Davallia (dav-VAL-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: fejeensis (fee-jee-EN-sis) (Info)

Synonym:Davallia solida var. fejeensis

By Monocromatico
Thumbnail #6 of Davallia fejeensis by Monocromatico

By palmbob
Thumbnail #7 of Davallia fejeensis by palmbob

Positive 5thgenFLgirl On Jun 5, 2011, 5thgenFLgirl from Bradfordville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

We inherited a small patch of this lovely plant in a rockery when we bought this house in 1994. It has gradually spread into an architectural feature at the top of a short path. It is tough and beautiful, tolerating Tallahassee's heat and cold w/o complaint.

Positive bsimpson1972 On Jul 23, 2010, bsimpson1972 from Chicago, IL (Zone 6a) wrote:

A very nice, little fern. Grows pretty fast for me. I feed it with a weak solution of whatever I have. It seems to be pretty tough. When I bought it, it was in bad shape - totally dried out and with quite a few dead or dying fronds. I bought it anyway and you can see the result in the picture. I also cut off a piece of rhizome by accident and used it as a cutting, which promptly rooted and now almost completely fills a 3-inch-pot... A very nice plant for a bright, window!

Positive Diane9247 On Jun 5, 2010, Diane9247 from Keno, OR wrote:

I inherited my fern from my grandmother, who died about 20 years ago. It's about 40 years old and completely imbedded in the big pot she put it in. It has done best hanging outdoors when I've lived in the San Francisco Bay Area of CA, and its furry legs hung down two feet from the lip of the pot. Fronds were so thick that it looked like a big, fuzzy green ball. It came from my grandma's house in southern Oregon, where for her it was a houseplant.

Now, I live in Oregon, same area she lived in, and her fern has come full-circle. To get it moved up here I had to give it a substantial trimming - and it still weighs a ton! It has survived 2 winters inside, 2 summers outside. We have a very short growing season (last frost can be mid-June, first one can be in late August, so I really have to keep an eye on the weather report. I bring it in when temps get down to the high 30s (F) and can certainly identify with anyone else who has to lug one of these around! New feet are growing, new fronds uncurling. It has not yet recovered to its former lush self, but I'm hoping that with consistent misting and fertilizing it will return fully to its former glory.

Positive mswestover On Oct 3, 2009, mswestover from Yulee, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have mine in tall pot, it is now pot bound. Very hard to move in the winter to get it in the garage. Lacy fronds. Water it about once a week. Under drifting shade.

Positive labienlien On Feb 12, 2009, labienlien from Tawas City, MI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Just fell in love with and purchased Davallia fajeensis while in Key West, FL and really enjoyed all your comments and experiences which will be a big help when it goes home to MI.

Positive BayAreaTropics On Aug 29, 2007, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

There is a "giant " variety of Davallia fejeensis that is a awesome looking fern with 14-16"? fronds that hang down in a thick curtain. It's more tender to cold and slower growing than the rest.Very choice. Worth searching for....

Neutral Cretaceous On Aug 29, 2007, Cretaceous from El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Davallia fejeensis is native to Fiji, and the Austral Islands (French Polynesia).

Positive Dave_in_Devon On Apr 14, 2006, Dave_in_Devon from Torquay
United Kingdom (Zone 9b) wrote:

I love this fern, even more so after finding it will happily tolerate our climate here in south west England. The delicately lacey, apple-green fronds belie its astonishing resilience and have not only withstood the occasional drop to minus 2C (28F), but also bitter and persistent winds over several winters. It is usually offered as a pot plant here, but even tiny rooted pieces rapidly make nice specimens in hanging pots. I've just pinned a few rhizomes to the trunk of one of my tree ferns, where it should run about quite happily.

Positive CatskillKarma On Jan 25, 2005, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

I inherited one of these from a neighbor that moved to Canada a few years ago. It was already a mature plant when I inherited it. I transferred it (with great difficulty) to a self watering pot. It spends the summer outdoors in the shade where it thrives, then comes inside to a sunny corner where it gets direct light from both the south and west. It flourishes with little attention, despite the fact that my cabin has no central heat and often gets down near 40 degrees when I leave for a few days. I forget to water it frequently. That causes it to lose a few fronds, but no serious damage. The hairy rabbit feet grow and entwine at an incredible rate and are very attractive. It also smells good in a woodsy ferny way. Highly recommended and care free!

Positive mosc0022 On Jan 24, 2005, mosc0022 from Coeur D Alene, ID (Zone 5a) wrote:

I bought a small one at a local store for $4. It's growing in a bright area, but the drapes are often closed. It is extremely versatile - I've gone weeks without watering it and it still will look great. It has grown quite quickly even in these less than ideal conditions.

Positive suncatcheracres On Nov 19, 2003, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I've had mine since early in 1998, and now the fuzzy "feet" are curling tendrils, over a foot long, or longer, if they could be stretched out, hanging from a rather small, oblong "Art Deco" glazed ceramic container with no drainage holes, and planted in Miracle Gro potting soil. It has been growing in this particular container for over three years now, and shows no signs yet of being unhappy there.

The first few years I had it, it thrived over the kitchen sink under a florescent grow-light, where it loved the humidity from the sink. But eventually it grew so large that the leaves started to hang down into the sink and be splashed by very hot water, so it had to be moved.

Now it sits diagonally on a corner at the top of a tall book shelf, near a South facing window, where it gets reflected light from the ivory colored walls, and where its long, hanging tendrils, with new leaves growing from them, can be seen from below to advantage. I try to remember to take it to the sink every week and water and spray it down. If I don't remember, the leaves will quickly wilt and remind me, but it always recovers after a heavy watering.

It gets very lightly fertilized with Miracle Gro liquid houseplant food every time I water and spray--about a quarter strength--as I can never remember to keep a feeding schedule on all my houseplants, so it is just easier to fertilize every time I water. I put the diluted liquid fertilizer in both the watering can and the spray bottle. All my houseplants thrive on this regimen, and this particular one is a beautiful, rewarding plant that gets a lot of comments when other people first see it.

Positive mrsmitty On Nov 19, 2003, mrsmitty from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Looks best if potbound. The feet surround the pot like a hairy spider.

Positive broozersnooze On Sep 16, 2003, broozersnooze from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I had one of these years ago but can't remember what happened to it; just this summer I purchased another one. I noticed on the PDB it is hardy in zone 10/11 so I'll have to take mine in this winter, although I've had plants survive our winters that reportedly would not. Others - oh, well.

My kangaroo fern is native to Australia but has remained outside since I purchased it & it is flourishing so that I divided it into 4 parts in the spring & it already needs it again.

Positive palmbob On Sep 15, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

One of the easier to grow hanging potted ferns. A fast grower but can be a bit on the deciduous side in cold parts of southern California (U.S.)

Positive Monocromatico On Aug 12, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

My grandpa grows this fern for 40 years. Its said to be quite water, light and wind sensitive, but its growing strong there. It also sometimes pops up here spontaneously on pots along with my orchids. Its leaves are beautiful so detailed and delicated that it deserves the common name "portuguese lace"

Positive lupinelover On Aug 26, 2002, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is an extremely neat fern. The roots sit in a pot, while it hangs it hairy tarantula-type legs out over the edges. The fronds grow out of the legs. The fronds are very light, airy, beautifully filigreed. Outstandingly beautiful, as well as an oddity that all kids will love to touch and admire.

Eight Mile, Alabama
Windsor, California
Apopka, Florida
Brandon, Florida
Coleman, Florida
Lake City, Florida (2 reports)
Lecanto, Florida