Mexican Evening Primrose, Showy Evening Primrose 'Siskiyou'

Oenothera speciosa

Family: Onagraceae (on-uh-GRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Oenothera (ee-no-THEE-ruh) (Info)
Species: speciosa (spee-see-OH-suh) (Info)
Cultivar: Siskiyou
Additional cultivar information:(aka Siskiyou Pink)
Synonym:Hartmannia speciosa

Parkersburg, West Virginia

Waterloo, Wisconsin

On Nov 7, 2012, imerumeru from Bekasi
Indonesia wrote:

I start plant this flower last year. I was given the seeds by a senior in USA. I am living in Bekasi, Indonesia which the temperature is so high. I am so happy the flower can grow and bloom at 1st year. The flower is so beautiful, and now is blooming for 2nd year.
I have no invasive problem, because I plant it in a pot. It is useful if you want to avoid invasive problem :)

On Apr 7, 2012, longboard8 from Albuquerque, NM wrote:

This thing is invading after less than a year. I bought it from Plants of the Southwest in NM and really wish somebody had told me about the invasive potential. It isn't as if I am going to know about all the plants I'm buying. I just want this thing gone ASAP. I don't even care if I sterilize the local soil.

My mom gave me a heads up shortly after planting it, but said just wait to see if I like it. What I would tell anybody who just planted it is: remove immediately.

On Mar 24, 2012, HBoshaw from Cypress, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

While trying to make flower beds look nice in our newly built home, I used to pick these plants out every Feb, cursing at the "weeds" that never went away no matter what I tried. One year they bloomed before I had a chance to pull them & I've been delighted with them ever since. After April or early May, when it gets warmer, I add a new layer of mulch to the beds & cover them, they pop back over winter & are blooming again by March. It even grows in the lawn a bit, but never gets leggy here, more like a ground cover. So glad I stopped & smelled the roses !

On May 30, 2011, tlm1 from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is a wonderful wildflower. Along roadways, etc. In my garden it has spread very quickly and it has helped to shade out weeds, like a mulch. Can be a little unruly, but I find it fairly easy to pull out those that spread to where it's not wanted. Yes it does do much better in full sun. If it is too shaded I found that it will "move" itself to the sun.

On May 29, 2011, ncelady from Bartlesville, OK wrote:

Just bought showy pink primrose, potted it. I've had it about a week & it has quit blooming. Wonder if it could be because we have only had very cloudy days since I bought it, is it desperate for some sun maybe?

On Apr 22, 2011, ideaexplorer from Los Altos, CA wrote:

AVOID this plant unless you want it everywhere and choking out your other plants. When our yard was re-landscaped, this plant was put here and there for low, long-blooming color. It was fabulous for 2 months and has never been good since.
1) It gets very leggy and unattractive when blooms are done
2) It gives no color through winter, just a pile of spent stems to cut away.
3) It spreads EVERYWHERE.
4) You can't get rid of it. I'm constantly yanking this out of all sorts of places, far from where it was first planted.
Don't be fooled by the fact that you spend money for this plant. It is an invasive WEED.

On Mar 7, 2011, CID_SID from Fuquay-Varina, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Pretty flowers. This plant is a monster. It will take over the whole garden, that means everywhere.
It's impossible to get rid of.
If you live close by and you would like this plant to invade your property, leave a message and you can come and get as many as you like.
Absolutely guaranteed to grow anywhere.

On Aug 11, 2010, Susini from Lake Park, MN wrote:

Holy invasive! I planted this in rich soil, thinking it would die in my cold MN climate, but it has spread like crazy. The blooms are beautiful, profuse, and sweetly scented. I love them, but I've found new growth many feet away from the original plant. It also looks scraggly come mid-july. Probably gonna rip it out.

On Aug 3, 2010, matsu from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

I bought this plant 3 weeks ago and planted it in full sun. Added manure, put weed repellent plastic around it and covered the plastic with mulch. Watered it. It has done nothing. It doesn't bloom and it looks like it's got powdery mildew on part of it. Why isn't it growing "like a weed?" It's not dying but there's an established garden of these down the street and those plants are in full bloom.

On Jul 28, 2010, suewylan from North Fork, CA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Love this plant, but not in my garden! I did this to myself, too. At one point the stems are bare and scraggley and that's what I don't like. SIFTED the soil to eradicate it this spring, big project which took several days, and already I see more popping up in my mulched beds. Yikes!

'A forever home'...that's funny.

On Jun 5, 2009, annieoakly from Cottage Grove, OR wrote:

I LOVE this plant. I first planted it in San Miguel, Calif. where the temperatures were anywhere from 8 degrees to 120 degrees and VERY arid. Nothing else would grow but this little plant just took off. It was very easy to propagate by digging up runners and transplanting elsewhere. It will take over dry hillsides in full sun where nothing else can survive. It hugs the ground under these conditions. When water is added it becomes much taller. I believe the flower resembles that of a California Poppy except it's pink.
I have just found this plant for sale at a local nursery in Oregon and hope it will grow here.
It may not be the right plant for a city dweller on a postage sized lot, but we have always lived on ranches, where we welcome anything that lives with no care. I wa... read more

On Nov 7, 2008, ccheney from Macon, GA wrote:

I hate this plant! I hate this plant! If it were 4 inches tall it might be attractive, but the long stem is ugly. I've had an ongoing war with it since 2004. I bought it in ignorance and I am paying. I had 3 little plants along the foundation and now I have a million plants on the other side of the sidewalk in my flower bed. It crossed a brick wall into my hosta bed. I pull it up each year by the thousands, careful to get each plant to the trash and it simply expands its territory. I have tried to transplant it to the backyard near a pine tree, but it never takes. I wouldn't care if it took over the back yard; that is the dogs' playground. Sadly, I need to dig up my foundation bed, my hosta bed and my flower bed to get rid of it and there is still no guarantee that I can get it a... read more

On Mar 16, 2008, amani from Sierra Vista, AZ (Zone 8a) wrote:

Quite invasive. Will take over and choke out other plants if planted in fertile and well watered flower bed. The roots of these plants are rather thick and will grow very deep. A headache to remove once established.

On Jun 27, 2007, joycie12 from Forest, VA wrote:

I just planted 15 of these plants. Some of them are not doing well at all and all have stopped blooming. We have had copious rain here lately and some of the plants appear to be dying.

On Jan 20, 2005, crimsontsavo from Crossville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

If you kill this plant, give up gardening.
A really forgiving and beautiful flower. Mine are well behaved after being transplanted from a road side. They didn't even wilt.
Now it has a forever home in my gardens- the leaves have turned a bright red swirrled with dark green. Blooms are a beautiful light pink. Well worth growing.

On Sep 24, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Originally I said I loved it, that was until it started growing everywhere, I've been unable to iradicate it, and the next time I see someone buying it I will tell them not to!!!! It is extremely invasive here. Quite beautifull, but nasty

On Sep 1, 2004, Nita2 from Petersburg, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Planted this spring,2004. Very invasive. Whether this is good or bad, have yet to decide. Planted among a variety of other plants along a walkway. Doing very well. Blooms and foilage are beautiful and plentiful.Unusual rain fall here may be beneficial to this plant doing exceptionally well.
It is now May 25,2006. Removed this plant from flower bed
used weed kill after removing roots(so I thought!). Now I see blooms through out my grassy area of yard. tried pulling up blooms to no avail,they keep popping up. I give up. I now leave until grass is cut. Great for open area far away from anthing you're trying to maintain.

On Apr 25, 2004, islandbrzs wrote:

Starting from two one-gallon plants two years ago, the Mexican Primroses we planted in our backyard has spread to cover a dry, sloping hillside that is exposed to direct sun during summer. We love it! Beautiful carpet of pink, it truly is eye candy during the summers when it can hover in the 90's for days on end. Until we planted these, the hillside was sure death for any plant that attempted to take root during the hot summers.

On Feb 27, 2004, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This lovely Primrose also known as Buttercup is one of the most abundant wildflowers in Texas. I love this plant, it starts blooming early in the Spring
and lasts a long time. It also blooms in the Fall when the weather cools down.

On May 30, 2003, JBest from Clairton, PA wrote:

This is a plant that is invasive but easy to control. It is a beautiful ground cover. Grows very quickly and spreads.
Flowers are very lovely. When cut and put in vases they last several days and buds will open in the house as well as out of doors.
I love this plant.

On Jul 30, 2002, darius from So.App.Mtns.
United States (Zone 5b) wrote:

I love how this plant tolerates heat and drought. It is not invasive for me, perhaps because of being in heavily-mulched beds. My variety is 'Siskiyou Pink' and has leaves tinged in red when mature.