PlantFiles: Bee Balm, Beebalm
Monarda 'Petite Delight'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Monarda (mo-NAR-da) (Info)
Cultivar: Petite Delight
Additional cultivar information: (PP10784)
Hybridized by Collicutt, et al.; Year of Registration or Introduction: 1999

Thumbnail #6 of Monarda  by stormyla

By Lakwijk
Thumbnail #7 of Monarda  by Lakwijk

Neutral Aphthona On Oct 8, 2013, Aphthona from Fargo, ND (Zone 4b) wrote:

Six inch plant with two flowers in its third year is underwhelming.

Neutral BambooSue On Sep 21, 2011, BambooSue from Silver Spring, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

QUESTION: Since this is a hybrid between bee balm (minty smell) and Oswego tea (bergamot smell), can someone please post whether its leaves smell like mint or bergamot? Bergamot is a wonderfully light citrus smell, like Earl Grey tea.

Thanks!

Positive Eldine On May 20, 2011, Eldine from Wellsville, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

My second year with this plant. So far it's the exact same size as last year. Not spreading so far but unfortunately, the red bee balm near it is trying to take it over. Wettest spring in a long time here, so if it doesn't mildew, it's a keeper.

Positive ms_greenjeans On Jul 7, 2010, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I have not found these to spread like other varieties of bee balm. Mine had some powdery mildew last year, but the plants bloomed and seemed okay in spite of it. I have been faithfully watering them this year and so far have not seen any mildew. I like the flower color and the nice clumping behavior.

Positive stormyla On Nov 17, 2009, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

I planted 2 of these in the late spring in semi shade. We had one of the wettest most humid summers ever. These plants grew about 6" over the summer and are now about a foot tall. They proved to be completely mildew resistant here, when every piece of furniture was covered in the gross stuff.

Neutral annakins On Nov 3, 2009, annakins from Aberdeen, SD wrote:

Nice plant. Have had for 3 years in mostly sun and hasn't grown much if any. Don't know how can be invasive. Flowers are pretty though. Good front of the border plant.

Neutral flowergirl78 On Jul 23, 2008, flowergirl78 from Dublin, OH wrote:

I just bought two 'petite delights' this spring... they are STILL only about 6" tall. Both plants have sent up new stalks and have some new top growth but I'm starting to worry about the height factor. Can anyone tell me if this slow growth rate is normal?

Neutral Meig On Jul 5, 2006, Meig from Far Northwest 'burbs, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I just planted this a few weeks ago and while it is blooming and it very pretty, it is not resistant to powdery mildew as it is claimed to be. I have it in the wettest soil of my yard and we just had a week of rainy days and high humidity. The plants are just covered in milderw now. I just sprayed with Neem oil so we'll see how that goes.

The flowerheads are really pretty but I have never had any plant that was this susceptible to powdery mildew as this one seems to be.

Positive Lakeangel On Dec 20, 2004, Lakeangel from Richmond, MN wrote:

I have had my Petite Monarda for 2 years and it is growning very well here. It has not been invasive. I'm wondering how it would grow in a pot, and may try that this coming spring.

Neutral henryr10 On Jul 24, 2004, henryr10 from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

I too am having mildew problems w/ this beauty.
In fairness though all Monarda's have trouble here.

Full sun. Open spot. Good wind.
It does fine.

Two out of three of the above and it powders up quickly.

It does though take quickly from cuttings so I was able to keep some of it going.

The blossom color IS great.
Works well w/ about anything.

Ric

Positive Gardengirl1204 On Jun 20, 2004, Gardengirl1204 from Richmond, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

I have found this Bee Balm to be very NON-invasive. In fact, when I planted it, I wanted it to spread and it has stayed right in the same location for 4 years. I thought I was doing something wrong until I read about it. I have not had any problems with mildew which is a miracle here in Va.

Neutral spaniel On Sep 12, 2003, spaniel from North Yarmouth, ME (Zone 5a) wrote:

Agreed that it is marketed as mildew resistant, but this past summer (three weeks of rain), it crashed heavily !
I have a tendency to agree that it isn't showy enough for the stress it can cause, but the size is definitely useful. Tough call on that one

Negative Karenn On Aug 14, 2003, Karenn from Mount Prospect, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

I have several varieties of monarda, all but one susceptible to mildew, which has not been a big problem for me. However this dwarf variety literally "sank" twice, in different locations, from powdery mildew! After the second time, I frankly decided not to try again - I did not think this showy enough to "beat myself up" trying in my Zone 5a/4b yard!

Positive echoes On Aug 13, 2003, echoes from South of Winnipeg, MB (Zone 3a) wrote:

This Monarda is mildew resistant. After several years it has formed a nice clump, but is not invasive. Needs careful placement because of its unusual colour, looks good with soft yellow, white, cream.

Neutral lupinelover On Feb 1, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

A dwarf monarda. Marketed as being very resistant to mildew.

Savannah, Georgia