Purple Loosestrife
Lythrum virgatum 'Morden Pink'

Family: Lythraceae (ly-THRAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lythrum (LY-thrum) (Info)
Species: virgatum (vir-GA-tum) (Info)
Cultivar: Morden Pink
Additional cultivar information:(aka Morden's Pink)

Magenta (Pink-Purple)

4.6 to 5.0 (highly acidic)

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

8.6 to 9.0 (strongly alkaline)

Kewanee, Illinois

Dayton, Ohio

Gainesville, Texas

Mc Kinney, Texas

On Jun 21, 2013, kmm44 from Dayton, OH wrote:

Hard to believe this plant is on your list of desirables. According to my son, who is a ranger with the Army Corps of Engineers, at a lake facility in Springfield, OH, purple loostrife is on the USDA's list of Top Ten noxious weeds. It is a foreign invader that has taken over many wetlands and other areas near water to the elimination and endangerment of native plants. That is why it is banned in so many states. Years ago, someone gave me a clump of purple loosestrife, which I had in a flower bed just a few yards from my dock at the lake house. Brian told me about the problem with it and advised me to get rid of it, which I did.
It is a beautiful plant, but not suitable for the environment.

On Jun 20, 2013, mardi229 from Vandercook Lake, MI wrote:

Beautiful, yes. However, Purple Loosestrife is banned in Michigan.

On Jun 17, 2013, woodsidematt from Scottsville, NY wrote:

Please do not plant purple loosestrife.
It is highly invasive and has taken over streambanks and boggy areas all over New England, choking out scores of native plants.
Don't contribute to the same thing happening in your area of the country.

On Jun 17, 2013, Ed_the_Merlin from Ballwin, MO wrote:

I have seen several statements about its invasiveness and being banned in many states. No problem here in Missouri yet. Also about its being sterile, I've had my plants for over 7 years now and never have I seen seedlings until last year. I let them grow in the pots they germinated in and over-winter. I pulled them this Spring and planted them. I guess I will see what happens with their flowering. Then, hundreds of seedlings popped a couple of weeks ago. Looks like from one plant. I've saved around seventy-five to see what happens with them. I started with one rhizome cutting and through splitting and cuttings have twenty-one very large and flourishing plants. I receive all sorts of complements about them. Lots of mulch, fertilzer and keep them wet and they are happy. Bees love them.

On Jun 17, 2013, mlml from Penngrove, CA wrote:

Yes this is a pretty plant, but there are others which make a similar effect and don't have such a REALLY bad reputation. Cultivars are not necessarily less fertile. Over time plants can revert to their previous behavior, a problem for later. Besides the more purchases the more growers will produce bad plants for sale. Besides, you can't be sure the plant is the supposedly sterile one. We have that problem with broom here in California. Retail outlets keep placing these bad plants on display every spring. They look wonderful and the nursery clerks will tell you they are sterile. But I know from my research that attempts to sterilize these plants has been very limited.

On Jun 13, 2013, delmarvaroots from Salisbury, MD wrote:

I completely agree with the last comment. Have grown Morden's Pink and Morden's Gleam for over 25 years. One of my favorites, never a problem.

On Jun 13, 2013, warriorswisdomkathy from Kiowa, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

Love this plant. It has been banned in my state, sure glad I had bought one years before the plant was put on the noxious weed list. I've had mine in the garden for 15-20 years now and have never had any problems... Can be tough to divide as it's root system becomes woody, need to saw it into sections.

On Jan 24, 2011, Get_growing from Dallas, TX wrote:

I see where member Paulwhwest posted picture of this plant growing at the Dallas Arboretum. It seems unlikely they would grow a Texas invasive plant (though it certainly sounds invasive in other states, areas). Can anyone authoritatively speak to whether it is invasive in Dallas, TX? I will dig mine up if it is. (Note - the neutral rating is a default rating since I just planted mine and am uncertain about plant status).

On May 4, 2010, cherubgarden from San Antonio, TX wrote:

This plant grows in part shade & loamy soil. I haven't yet seen it flower but it grew back after winter from it roots. It came back twice the size when i planted it last year. I mulched it like all of my plants in mixed beds. In Texas mulch saves your sanity. :) Its nice when you have something that grows vigorous. I'd tell anyone to go & get one. Its an awesome plant. Even if its called invasive i think its pretty & i don't live by a rive/lake.

On Apr 10, 2009, SunnyBorders from Aurora, ON (Zone 5a) wrote:

Very showy plant and very attractive to bees.
It appears, on present evidence, that 'Morden Pink' only looses its self incompatability and produces seeds when it is around wild forms of purple loosestrife. It would be irresponsible to use this and other purple loosestrife cultivars around wetlands. The evidence of seeding within gardens appears to negative, but it is apparently all anecdotal. The push to ban the cultivars seems to have obviated the need for scientific research on the possibilities of the cultivars seeding in garden settings.

On May 26, 2006, RyanUWRF from Cameron, WI wrote:

This Purple Loosestrife is illegal to grow in most states. I work on trying to get rid of this plant in the wild and prevent people from growing it. Every late July and August the plants starts to lay seeds, it can produce any where between 1 million to just over 2.6 million seeds a year. It may a be a pretty plant but it is INVASIVE!! It is very degrading to shorelines where fish spawn.

On Aug 15, 2005, Equilibrium wrote:

'Morden's Pink' is a cultivar. Although some cultivars are said to be sterile, we have learned that the offspring of same are often times not sterile, but being a hybrid, seeds won't grow out like the parent plant.

On Aug 28, 2003, GAGARD from Decatur, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I believe the research shows that 'Morden's Pink" was pollinated by the wild loosestrife, not the other way around. If no wild loosestrife is present, why not enjoy this beautiful cultivar?

On Jun 16, 2003, RubyStar from Madison, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

Lythrum salicaria, L. virgatum, and all of their hybrids are responsible for a devastating amount of damage to North American wetlands. As stated above, even self-fertile hybrids can contribute hugely to the problem, by pollinating wild-growing stands.

Purple Loosestrife is regulated in most areas of North American, and banned in many areas.

On Jan 19, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

This species is considered self-fertile. However, research has shown that sterility occurs only when no wild species are growing in the vicinity.

According to Armitage, when 'Morden Pink' or 'Morden Gleam' was planted near wild Lythrum salicaria the resulting seed was over 80% viable.