PlantFiles: Ornamental Mullein, Verbascum
Verbascum 'Banana Custard'

Family: Scrophulariaceae (skrof-yoo-larr-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Verbascum (ver-BASK-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Banana Custard

Thumbnail #3 of Verbascum  by Kell

By Kell
Thumbnail #4 of Verbascum  by Kell

Neutral momof2labs On Jun 24, 2008, momof2labs from Fairfax, VA wrote:

I live in Fairfax, Va (zone 7, close to DC). I had planted this plant last year. Spring '08 it grew and grew to over 5' and produced huge yellow blooms. Then it rained and the next day the leaves wilted and it died shortly thereafter. It was in partial sun but seemed to be ok until the last rain.

Positive pookerella On Jun 12, 2006, pookerella from Bellmore, NY (Zone 7a) wrote:

I bought this from Nature Hills and had no idea this thing was going to turn into Audrey 2.

It grew to SEVEN FEET TALL! And it's only MAY ... it hasn't finished growing! First of all, I planted it in late fall and covered it and it lived all winter long, which should have given me some kind of warning. Then it literally took over my entire bed. The bottom leaves practically obliterated any sunlight from any of my other plants. The "trunk" on this thing is 3-1/2" in diameter! The leaves covered a minimum of 5 feet of earth from one side leaf to the other side leaf. This thing is a literal MONSTER. Pretty yellow flowers, which fell off in one of several windy days we've had here in the Spring of 2006, but I don't thnk you can kill this thing! I'm afraid it's going to kill me! I cut the bottom leafs off to STOP it from growing and it did NOTHING. So if you need a plant that is really tall and covers a very large area of earth, get this one. Kidding aside, the flowers are a spectacular color yellow, and anyone who likes yellow flowers will love this.

Denver, Colorado