PlantFiles: Giant Hummingbird's Mint, Giant Hyssop
Agastache barberi 'Tutti-Frutti'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Agastache (ah-gas-TAH-kee) (Info)
Species: barberi (BAR-ber-ee) (Info)
Cultivar: Tutti-Frutti
Additional cultivar information: (aka Tutti Frutti)

Fuchsia (Red-Purple)

Thumbnail #5 of Agastache barberi by Marilynbeth

Thumbnail #6 of Agastache barberi by Marilynbeth

Thumbnail #7 of Agastache barberi by Marilynbeth

Positive otter47 On Apr 2, 2013, otter47 from Livermore, CA wrote:

Three years ago, I started with this plant in a 4-inch pot and now it is a clump that is 3-feet in diameter. It blooms with little care all summer and autumn for me. It is glorious in bloom and invites favorable comments from those who see it.

Positive Bigfeet On Mar 17, 2013, Bigfeet from Pueblo, CO wrote:

Started agastache tutti frutti from seeds (harvested Febrauary) from nursery plants by previous homeowner Zone 5a? north Pueblo, Co.

Within 2 months they had all grown 2-3 feet tall, flowered profusely, and attracted tons of humingbirds (plus strange exotic moths). Flowers last a long time.

Some of the first plants to bud in February 2013 despite consistent below zero night temps.

Very fragrant; leaves and flowers smell like bubblegum!

Positive FawnAnnette On Oct 9, 2010, FawnAnnette from King George, VA wrote:

I have many, many flowers that provide nectar for the hummingbirds, butterflies, bees and other pollenators. Today 10-9-2010 I was in my rose garden pergola, talking to my granddaughters. A hummingbird whirred past my head and stopped at the Giant Agastache 'Tutti Frutti'. The blooms have been constant and lovely since midsummer. We only have rubythroated hummingbirds breed here in tidewater Virginia. The last VA Ornithology Gold Book date for rubythroats is 9/24 but there are regular instances of very late migrants observed and confirmed. The rufous hummingbird does travel through this state on its way south to wintering grounds in Mexico. The earliest is 8/4. I have been advised that the sighting of rufous is much less common than of very late migrant rubythroated. Hence...Bon matin and gratis nectar for your long flight ahead! :-)
I think this Agastache is prettier than the A. rupestins. Lavender flowered wands swaying like fairy spires in gentle breezes.

Positive themikeman On Jul 9, 2010, themikeman from Concord, NC (Zone 7a) wrote:

One of the healthiest, tallest things in my garden, infact its taking up so much space and height i wouldn't recommend owning more than one or two of these, it really does attract the butterflies in droves, as well as the humming birds..true to it's nickname of 'humming bird mint' hyssops', and 'Giant hyssops Hyssopsus' "!!! also, i was supprised how very beautiful since its an herb or weed too!!!!! mike.

Positive Bluebirdlover66 On Sep 13, 2009, Bluebirdlover66 from Emmitsburg, MD wrote:

I have only grown this plant this summer here in Emmitsburg, MD. but it has performed beautifully. The bees, butterflies and hummingbirds visit it everyday.
Now I will need to see how it does during our cold winter.
I hope it does make it.

Positive saya On Apr 10, 2008, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

Hybridized by Richard DuFresne of Greensboro, North Carolina. Flowers can be used fresh or dried as a kitchen herb. I simply toss them over my salads. 'Tutti-Frutti' comes probably from a cross of A. barberi and A. mexicana.

Positive Marilynbeth On Jul 26, 2006, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

Love it, love it, love it!!! Love the color, love the longblooming, love attracting Hummers, love the scent! Easy to maintain. Excellent drainage and lean soil. Don't cut back branches till you see new growth. I don't have any hardwood mulch around it either. I have small gravel around it.

Positive blpender On Apr 2, 2006, blpender from Dowagiac, MI wrote:

Absolutely loved this plant. Non-stop blooms all summer long. A very nice color compliment to my honeysuckle vine.

Positive mystic On Jan 20, 2003, mystic from Ewing, KY (Zone 6a) wrote:

I loved this plant in my garden this year. As hot and dry a summer as we had it bloomed right on. The heat and humidity didn't bother it at all. It bloomed all summer and into fall until frost got it.The bees and the hummingbirds loved it. I love the way the flower spikes blew in the wind.

Gaylesville, Alabama
Hoopa, California
Livermore, California
Sacramento, California (2 reports)
Pueblo, Colorado