Lavender, Lavandin
Lavandula x intermedia 'Provence'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lavandula (lav-AN-dew-lah) (Info)
Species: x intermedia (in-ter-MEE-dee-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Provence
Additional cultivar information:(aka du Provence)

Herbs

Palmyra, Virginia

Richlands, Virginia

Stafford, Virginia

On Jul 4, 2009, CBernard from Perris, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

We haven't used this plant yet for culinary purposes but I thought we were told that this lavender was the one that the lavender spice comes from. Also, the lavender spice that I bought at the Lavender Festival (and that we are using occasionally) in Cherry Valley CA looks very similar to these blooms, only dried. If anyone knows differently, please let me know!!!

Thanks,

Chuck

On May 25, 2009, Guy07070 from Rutherford, NJ wrote:

In flower this is one of the most striking lavenders -- fragrance and color. I found that success is almost guaranteed by not using organic mulch and removing all surrounding vegetation in the fall. I lost a few only because I did not follow these simple rules, while the others have been thriving in full sun and organic fertilizer once in the spring.

On Jul 28, 2008, catevala from Spokane, WA wrote:

I came here to see if anyone has successfully grown this cultivar in Zone 5 or thereabouts. Was very happy to see yes in the case of the New York gardener's report. I am in Zone 5b in Spokane, Washington and just obtained a Lavandula x intermedia 'Provence' from my local Lowe's and then when I got home and looked it up in the Western Garden Book was surprised to see them give it a zone rating of 4 (their zone 4 not USDA) which is quite a bit warmer than our WGB zone 2b in Spokane. So I came here in hopes that the WGB was wrong and it appears it is. Here in Spokane we grow L. angustifolia all over the place with nary a concern but this hybrid was a lavender of a different color!

On Jul 17, 2008, saya from Heerlen
Netherlands (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have read that the cultivar Lavendin 'Provence' comes, against what its name suggests, from Canada. In California 'Provence' is often grown for fresh and dried flowers in bouquets or sachets. In spite of its very sweet scent it is, according my information, not so well suited for producing oil.

On Apr 17, 2008, Chantell from Middle of, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Out of all my lavenders THIS is the one with the strongest fragrance...I love it!!! Does well in full sun - zone 7A. Provence is a little more finicky then say, Munstead but once established it does great!!

On Oct 21, 2007, sladeofsky from Louisville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

This variety was selected for the perfume industry because of its long stems and easily harvestable buds. It is becoming increasingly popular in the garden due to its ruggedness. It is not compact or vividly colored, but it has a wild beuty about it. It is probably the best choice for areas with winter wet and hard soils.

On Jul 23, 2007, Oberon46 from (Mary) Anchorage, AK (Zone 4b) wrote:

I bought three very health specimens this summer, about 36" tall; they were sold by a reputable local nursery. Didn't know they are Zone 5 and up. We are supposed to be Zone 3, but we do 4's and 5's quite often, depending. We get to -20 every so often. Would be glad to share the results. They are in full sun in a pea gravel bed with a fairly good somewhat heavy soil underlying.

On Jun 7, 2007, ericmg01 from Rockville, MD (Zone 6a) wrote:

Planted three very small plants last year. Fast grower. Did not flower last year, but this year is a different story. We had a very wet fall / winter, and all three plants still survived. They all three look great this year with several flowers per plant. Good for my zone - 6B. Planted in part-sun, and does jut fine! I love this plant!

On May 15, 2007, alddesigns from Saint Cloud, FL wrote:

I have desperately wanted to have Lavender growing along my walkway. I tried Munstead TWICE and could NOT keep it alive--I think it hates the humidity. I saw Provence at my garden center and decided to give it a shot. I mixed topsoil with sand and gravel and planted my plants. 3 did not survive, I think they got too much moisture, but 2 got very nice and sturdy and have survived for almost a year. This year I've bought 3 replacements and so far they are doing OK. I've yet to see any blooms, but the foilage smells incredible when I brush past.

On Feb 19, 2006, mountaindog from Phoenicia, NY (Zone 5a) wrote:

Tried the English varieties (Munstead) and they died the first winter probably due to poor drainage and mulching with wood chips. After learning lavener's drainage needs, mixing sand into my clay-ey soils in raised beds, and mulching only with white sand and white pebbles, I have 6 huge "Provence" lavandin plants in my south-facing herb garden doing great after 3 winters, 2 of them very harsh (to -20F). Provence flowers are not as vivid purple as I expected, they are a very pale greyish lavender. Will try English varieties again for their darker blues and purples.

On Jul 18, 2005, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

Beautiful, long stem, strong scent is marvelous! Mine is light mauve. Used in perfumes and Potpouri. Give it a haircut in April, cutting off the spent flowers will allow a longer flowering. Fertilize in early Spring before growth begins. Enjoys fertile, moist yet well drained soil. Hardy to -20F. Great in a patio tub.

On Apr 27, 2005, Kelli from L.A. (Canoga Park), CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

No problems at all with these.

On Jan 21, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

One of the biggest-growing lavenders available. It will easily grow to 4' or even taller, and an equal spread.

It is a sterile hybrid, so no seed is set. It blooms from late May through mid October in my gardens. Very aromatic.

Absolutely wonderful to use for crafts, especially those that include the stems which can be 36" long on this variety.