PlantFiles: Artemisia, Satiny Wormwood, Mugwort,Schmidt Wormwood
Artemisia schmidtiana 'Silver Mound'

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Artemisia (ar-te-MIZ-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: schmidtiana (shmit-ee-AH-nuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Silver Mound
Additional cultivar information: (aka Nana)

Inconspicuous/none

Silver/Gray

Self-sows freely; deadhead if you do not want volunteer seedlings next season
This plant is resistant to deer

By Gwydion

By Paulwhwest
Thumbnail #6 of Artemisia schmidtiana by Paulwhwest

By ocimum_nate
Thumbnail #7 of Artemisia schmidtiana by ocimum_nate

Positive texasmamacita On Jan 5, 2012, texasmamacita from Shavano Park, TX wrote:

This plant is deer resistant, held up in the very hot and dry San Antonio summer, and it still looking good in winter! It has a beautiful silvery color and round mounding with feathery texture. It is a winner for my xeriscaped garden. I have not had any trouble with it growing out of control.

Positive LoveYourPlantz On Oct 15, 2011, LoveYourPlantz from Salt Lake City, UT wrote:

I added Silvermound to my garden after seeing it grow wild in Durango, CO. I loved its texture and soft feel. Others posted comments about the rate of growth however I have kept mine a smaller size by cutting it back in the spring. It rapidly grows new foliage. Butterflies seem to love it. If the area around them is kept too damp slugs like to hide in the dense undergrowth but they don't, however, seem to eat the plant. I plan to divide mine for other areas of the yard.

Positive pajaski On Dec 26, 2010, pajaski from Wolf Point, MT wrote:

This plant is abundant in my area and is mixed in with the fields of prairie grass surrounding my house. I found when I mow down some of the prairie grass and Artemisia schmidtiana (Silver Mound) surrounding my yard, the plant made a nice mat similar to mother-of-thyme. Since I have not been able to find a ground cover that will survive our harsh winters, and since I continuously walked on the mowed plant without doing it any harm, I decided to use it between my flagstone walkway. It has worked out so well that I have even replaced small sitting areas that once had grass with the silver mound. I never have to water it like I did the grass and the key in keeping the plant soft to the touch and to prevent the plant from becoming too woody is to keep it mowed.

Positive Eldine On Apr 26, 2010, Eldine from Wellsville, NY (Zone 4b) wrote:

I love my silvermound and it IS wonderful to touch. It did well for several years but when I divided it in fall, only one came back.

Positive Okie70 On Oct 17, 2009, Okie70 from Bartlesville, OK wrote:

I like the contrasting color this plant gives to my flower bed. Yes, it gets huge by fall, but by then the other perennials are not showy. I've heard this plant is a good insect repellent if brought inside and dried. Has anyone else heard of this? I'm trying it this fall. (I'm from Oklahoma.)

Negative bed24 On Jul 4, 2009, bed24 from Denver, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

They start off in spring in cute, tight mounds but by September they'd become a blown-out mess and almost looked like they'd been burned in a fire.

Neutral stormyla On Jun 22, 2009, stormyla from Norristown, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Although this is a lovely plant, too much rain can make it straggly. It really does need dry soil and full sun. Part shade makes it lay down and separate. When in ideal conditions, it seems to want to take over the world.

Positive loveVA On Jun 14, 2009, loveVA from Aldie, VA wrote:

I love my silver mound artemisia! Everyone compliments its beauty and sof it is to touch. Since my plants are so large, I would like to divide them and plant in other parts of my garden. Do I have to wait until Fall to do this or can they be divided now?

Positive jcoakley On May 27, 2009, jcoakley from Chicago, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

I've only had this plant for a year; it's a transplant from my MIL's garden. So far I love it. I have it in a very sunny corner of my front yard where it's easy not to overwater it. The same mound came up this year as last; haven't noticed any babies yet as others have commented.

Neutral phiphi51 On May 17, 2009, phiphi51 from Fort Worth, TX wrote:

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and I bought this plant last summer and think they are absolutely beautiful. One of the houses in my neighborhood have it close to their driveway and it is full and healthy looking. However when i planted mine in the ground it seem to do ok for a while but all of a sudden it began to become leggy. Once the fall came it looked terrible. I left it there through the winter and it looked even worst. But the neighbor's was full and healthy looking all through the Fall and the Winter. But the more I look at my neighbors I think their plant is in a pot or several pots. But you can't really tell because of its fullness. So I bought another one this spring and I will leave it in the pot to see if I have better luck. I also dug up the plant that was planted in the ground (what was left of it) and put the remains in a pot. It seem to be growing back out.

Positive jdalfred On Jun 2, 2008, jdalfred from South Rockwood, MI (Zone 5b) wrote:

I actually have mine planted in the shade and it does just fine, but you have to give it a nice haircut when it starts to get a part:)

Negative Malus2006 On Apr 19, 2008, Malus2006 from Coon Rapids, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

Tends to be short - living for me and become ugly after the first year. Winters tend to kill it.

Positive soulgardenlove On Jul 29, 2006, soulgardenlove from Marietta, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Just bending over and petting this plant is worth having it. It feels like the back of a bunny and is fun to have. Yes, it roots itself and makes babies, but you can share with others if you don't have room for them to spread. Yes, as noted by others, a serious rain shower will in fact give it a bald spot till it dries and fluffs back up. I do have some planted on a slight slope and those continually have the bald spots, so maybe thats not the best place for them. I still like it though. Susan

Neutral renatelynne On Jul 25, 2006, renatelynne from Boerne new zone 30, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

positive - grows well without much water

neg - dies if it happens to rain a lot.
neg - opens up in the middle to easily and then looks sick.

Positive heathl On May 8, 2006, heathl from Madisonville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

I love this one! I require guests to touch the soft foliage as they walk through the garden. I have found that if I let it get too large without dividing the plant, it makes a 'wreath' shape. Of course this is pretty neat, but I prefer to divide it so that it creates a nice carpet of silver. Give it a try if you haven't yet.

Positive katie999 On Jan 15, 2006, katie999 from Indianapolis, IN wrote:

I have a patch of hard clay in a very hot, sunny spot in a "corner" in which my mailbox sits, next to both the road and my driveway. Nothing was able to grow there. Although it is technically part of my front yard, grass didn't even grow there.

I planted Artemisia there two years ago. It has done very well, and is quite lovely. It is perhaps 2 feet tall and has grown to surround the mailbox. I get a lot of questions and comments from people who would like to obtain one as well.

For difficult situations such as this, Artemisia is a great choice. I would never plant it in my garden, because I am quite sure it is more vigorous than my other plants! But it is perfect for this hot, sunny, dry, hard-clay, inhospitable corner of my front yard.

Positive flowercrazy39 On Aug 24, 2005, flowercrazy39 from Manchester, NH wrote:

I have the Silver Mound and also love this plant. So soft and plush and smells wonderful when you touch it.

Neutral lark567 On Jun 25, 2005, lark567 from Hermiston, OR (Zone 6a) wrote:

This is my first experience with this plant. I put it on a hot, sandy hill that I have planted with xeriscape perrenials. It's first season it did great, withstanding our 100 plus degree summers like a pro. This is it's second season and it's overrun the four foot square I allotted it and is taking over! I've pruned it twice and it continues to encroach on it's slower growing neighbors. I am considering digging it up.

Negative babes_mom On Jun 14, 2005, babes_mom from Corydon, IN (Zone 6b) wrote:

Someone gave me a start of this plant 4-5 years ago. It started spreading by the roots and has been terribly invasive. I have been trying to kill it by applying Roundup, but have not been completely successful yet. I may have a particularly invasive variety, but my recommendation: if you want artemisia in your garden, sink it in the ground in a pot to keep it where you put it!

Positive SmilinLdy On Jan 7, 2005, SmilinLdy from Menasha, WI (Zone 4b) wrote:

I plant this between my miniature roses and I get tons of compliments. When I cut it back I just stick the cuttings in some vermeculite and in no time I have new plants. I love the silver color and mounding habit.

Neutral SalmonMe On Oct 23, 2004, SalmonMe from Springboro, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Lovely addition to the garden for its silvery, fine foliage. It needs some frequent attention, however, to keep it from opening up too much and losing its mounded habit. Shear flowers off (they're insignificant) to keep it looking nice. If it does start to open up, cut it down to the ground all the way and it will grow back to its original size fairly quickly with fresh, nicely formed growth.

Positive CatskillKarma On Jul 30, 2004, CatskillKarma from West Kill, NY wrote:

I am fond of this plant and have a row of it growing in front of three round arborvitae shrubs with the spaces filled in by echinacea purpurea--a lovely combination. However, in my zone 4b garden's wet clay soil, it is not terribly winter hardy and sometimes fails to regrow after winter dieback. It always dies to the ground, and is very late reemerging in the spring. It forms compact mounds, never more than a couple feet in diameter, and frequently flowers if I don't trim it back.

Negative richardm921 On Jul 28, 2004, richardm921 from Fair Lawn, NJ wrote:

The delicate feathery texture of this plant causes it to splay outward from the center when heavy rains beat down on it. It has a rapid outward (rather than upward) growth rate that necessitates trimming once a month. I intend to subdivide the beaten down plants into indoor pots where I will water them at their base.

Positive ititrxtrs On Jun 28, 2004, ititrxtrs from Mountain Home, ID wrote:

Wow, I LOVE this plant. In the high desert plains of southern Idaho, it is a wonderous plant. Although too cold winters cut it back each year, regrowth is fast from undamaged old growth (roots and stems).

One year I cut it back to the ground, no problem, the next year I left the wood. No problem. This plant wants to live. I believe it should be planted away from dwellings and is flamable due to the nature of this plant and the oils it produces.

Requires little water to survive and given a weekly deep watering grows quickly to about 28". I have had the first plant now for 4 years.

I have never found any new plants from it and only propagate by division or pinning a branch to the ground.

I have never seen animals near it and purchased it to ward of mosquitos etc, which it does.

I rubbed some leaves on my skin with no adverse reactions hoping for a natural bug repellent. More investigation needed on this though.

Positive BUFFY690 On May 11, 2004, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I had this plant in an open garden setting and it spread about 3 square feet from a very small begininng plant. So I dug it up and had to redig as the little root pieces left continued to grow. I placed it in a hanging basket with some other plants that require the same care, onwe I don't even know what it is and the other is a sedum it seem happy here and I even took a small piece and placed it in a sponge frogs mouth it if is a neat contrast. I really with I had enough room to put it in an open setting but I don't want it to grow over my other plants. I was thinking about doing a corner of one of my gardens in the white maybe I'll stick it in there and it will be free to roam to the edge of that.

Positive Happenstance On Sep 11, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

'Silver Mound' is a beautiful cultivar, but difficult to maintain in a normal garden setting because of its robust growth habit. In 9b it must be trimmed monthly to keep its shape and maintain a managable size and it tends to get very woody within a couple of years.

Better grown in a situation that allows it to reach its full potential. See the uploaded image for an example of it planted in an open space setting, on a drip irrigation system with no fertilizer or care.

Neutral Karenn On Jul 1, 2003, Karenn from Mount Prospect, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

This plant readily "makes babies" if planted in a well-drained area. I usually end up dividing the "mother" every year and passing the division on. It has grown as wide as 24" to 36", which is why I now divide it every year. It is great as an accent or contrast plant, but not so great as to "romp over" other fine perennials!

Lorette,
Marietta, Georgia
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Mountain Home, Idaho
Cherry Valley, Illinois
Chicago, Illinois (3 reports)
Hampton, Illinois
Memphis, Tennessee
Boerne, Texas
Quitman, Texas
Rockwall, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
Tyler, Texas
Weatherford, Texas
Salt Lake City, Utah
South Burlington, Vermont
Aldie, Virginia
Charlottesville, Virginia
Chesapeake, Virginia (2 reports)
Leesburg, Virginia
Manassas, Virginia
Springfield, Virginia
Renton, Washington
Spokane, Washington (3 reports)
Vancouver, Washington