Veldt Grape
Cissus quadrangularis

Family: Vitaceae (vee-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cissus (KISS-us) (Info)
Species: quadrangularis (kwad-ran-gew-LAIR-iss) (Info)

Herbs

Blue-Green

Pale Yellow

Green

Rubbery-Textured

By stooling or mound layering

Waverly, Alabama

Mesa, Arizona

Cape Coral, Florida

Lecanto, Florida

Milton, Florida

Youngsville, Louisiana

On Mar 17, 2015, poeciliopsis from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Central Phoenix -- Cissus quadrangularis is a great hanging pot plant for Phoenix. It needs a bit of shade, but little water. Mine has gone for several weeks without water in the dead of summer and not minded. I usually water it twice a month in summer, less in spring and fall and none in winter. I bring the pot inside December thru February. However, a plant that started from a dragging stem of the potted plant has been growing in the ground for 4 years. It even survived the cold winter of 2012/13 and has endured temperatures as low as 24F, without cover. It is somewhat sheltered by nearby plants and usually has a light layer of downed deciduous leaves in winter. It is now growing up into a nearby Agave and the upper tip got nipped by this year's 26F in early January.

On Jan 13, 2007, wormfood from Lecanto, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I got the plant because it's "different". I'm growing the plant because I need it for my health. Osteoporosis. Which causes tiny fractures in bones. It is produced for body builders. Heals bones, builds muscle, an Anti-inflamatory and heard stories of healing tennis elbow (which I got from pulling weeds). It grows like crazy up trees. And blooms at the end of summer. They are the little "grape" leaves.
Also called Winged treebine.

On Jul 21, 2006, goldhillal from (Crystal) Waverly, AL wrote:

I recently acquired a rooted cutting of this plant. I bought it because of the name- Cissus. I have grown Cissus discolor (a very different looking plant) for many years and could hardly believe this was a Cissus also. Google Cissus images to see some weird plants. It has doubled in size in the month I've had it. I have it growing up a small tomato cage and plan to let it attach to the oak tree if it wants to. That is how I grow Cissus discolor also. I will worry about how to get it indoors in October!

On Jan 2, 2006, nancyanne from Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

The top photo is most certainly *not* Cissus quadrangularis...I would like this plant better if I could find a good way to grow it - it doesn't like to grow any way other than flopping over!
It is a real survivor, though, and has a certain bizarre attractiveness.

On May 28, 2005, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

When this plant is happy it sprouts ivy-like leaves from the nodes. It does well as a hanging plant. Like most succulents, it does not require much water and needs well drained soil. MN4