PlantFiles: Veldt Grape
Cissus quadrangularis

Family: Vitaceae (vee-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cissus (KISS-us) (Info)
Species: quadrangularis (kwad-ran-gew-LAIR-iss) (Info)

Herbs

Pale Yellow
Green

Blue-Green
Rubbery-Textured

By stooling or mound layering

By Raphael

Thumbnail #5 of Cissus quadrangularis by stevesivek

Thumbnail #6 of Cissus quadrangularis by stevesivek

Thumbnail #7 of Cissus quadrangularis by stevesivek

Positive wormfood On Jan 13, 2007, wormfood from Lecanto, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I got the plant because it's "different". I'm growing the plant because I need it for my health. Osteoporosis. Which causes tiny fractures in bones. It is produced for body builders. Heals bones, builds muscle, an Anti-inflamatory and heard stories of healing tennis elbow (which I got from pulling weeds). It grows like crazy up trees. And blooms at the end of summer. They are the little "grape" leaves.
Also called Winged treebine.

Positive goldhillal On Jul 21, 2006, goldhillal from (Crystal) Waverly, AL wrote:

I recently acquired a rooted cutting of this plant. I bought it because of the name- Cissus. I have grown Cissus discolor (a very different looking plant) for many years and could hardly believe this was a Cissus also. Google Cissus images to see some weird plants. It has doubled in size in the month I've had it. I have it growing up a small tomato cage and plan to let it attach to the oak tree if it wants to. That is how I grow Cissus discolor also. I will worry about how to get it indoors in October!

Neutral nancyanne On Jan 2, 2006, nancyanne from Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

The top photo is most certainly *not* Cissus quadrangularis...I would like this plant better if I could find a good way to grow it - it doesn't like to grow any way other than flopping over!
It is a real survivor, though, and has a certain bizarre attractiveness.

Positive MotherNature4 On May 28, 2005, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

When this plant is happy it sprouts ivy-like leaves from the nodes. It does well as a hanging plant. Like most succulents, it does not require much water and needs well drained soil. MN4

Waverly, Alabama