Zebra Plant, Zebra Haworthia
Haworthia fasciata

Family: Aloaceae
Genus: Haworthia (ha-WORTH-ee-a) (Info)
Species: fasciata (fash-ee-AY-tuh) (Info)

Cactus and Succulents

under 6 in. (15 cm)

USDA Zone 9b: to -3.8 °C (25 °F)

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)

USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)

USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Succulent

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Queen Creek, Arizona

Lubbock, Texas

Paris, Texas

Glenwood City, Wisconsin

On Jul 12, 2013, Jordin from Glenwood City, WI wrote:

I just got a little zebra plant. I was told they aren't picky about soil and sunlight. Is that true? I also have a venues flytrap and they are very picky. I don't want to make a mistake and kill my new plant.

On Oct 7, 2009, Menk from Darling Downs
Australia wrote:

Be warned! There are lots of imposters out there. The majority are forms of H. attenuata. I have yet to actually see a genuine fasciata with my own eyes although I am sure they must exist. If anyone in Australia believes they may have the real thing, please contact me.

On Mar 25, 2008, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a very attractive Haworthia, but often confused with H. attenuata.

Haworthia fasciata is actually a fairly rare plant and 99% of the 'Zebra Haworthias' sold commonly around the world are actually Haworthia attenuatas.

H. fasciata has very smooth leaves on the inside/upper surface while H attenuata varieties all have a rougher to knobby upper/inside surface (though far less knobby or rough than the outside/lower leaves).

Careful examination of both these plants side by side can still leave one scratching one's head, though, as both are quite variable and can be really hard to tell apart but by Haworthia experts (which I am not).

On Aug 5, 2007, art_n_garden from Colorado Springs, CO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I have raised a small start of this plant to a good sized plant in many different climates, from 9b, 7a, to 5a. In all places, my zebra haworthia has flourished, flowered and multiplied. The best recommendations for all locations is full sun and full neglect. I do nothing to it (water when I think about it and when mother nature blesses us with it) and it has done nothing but been happy. The only way you could kill this thing is with too much love.

On Jun 16, 2006, Pashta from Moncks Corner, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

nice easy succulent. very drought tolerant. Mine also tolerates a slightly less light environment, and has a second plant growing off of it which is nice. good strong contrast between the green leaf and the white stripes. Nice texture.

On May 9, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Origin: South Africa. White flowers bloom in spring. Best in full sun, drought tolerant. A great little plant for the rock garden or for containers.

On Sep 20, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

H. fasciata has a SMOOTH upper side to its leaves with no tubercles and convex and cross-banded tubercles below. This is commonly called the “Zebra Haworthia”

Flowers of H. fasciata are white w/red-brown keels. Small plantlets are sometimes produced when the flowers are spent, see uploaded image.

On Jun 12, 2003, GloryRaptor from Rocklin, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

I had one of these plants as a "pet" when I was a kid. It has survived 20+ years despite some very shocking periods of juvenile neglect. It's still alive in my parents' back yard (or it was last year anyway- I haven't checked on it this year). To say that plant is resilient is an understatement.