Rubber Tree 'Burgundy'

Ficus elastica

Family: Moraceae (mor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ficus (FY-kus) (Info)
Species: elastica (ee-LASS-tih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Burgundy

Partial to Full Shade

By air layering

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Bessemer, Alabama

Memphis, Tennessee

Baytown, Texas

Deer Park, Texas

On Jun 28, 2013, Jayekimberly from North De Land, FL wrote:

I bought this plant a couple of months ago and it has really taken off but it seems "Top Heavy" to me. it falls over all of the time. I have it in a pretty big pot on my porch so the whole pot doesn't fall over just the plant itself. I don't know what to do, I now have it leaning against my railing just to keep it together. can anyone give me some suggestions? Thank you!

On Aug 17, 2007, jordankittyjo from Bessemer, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

does any one know if i just stick my cuttings into soil, or root themin water? any feed back would be helpful

On Jan 26, 2007, dragonl from Fountain, FL (Zone 8a) wrote:

I purchased this plant 01-25-07. The label only stated Robusta/Burgandy. Since searching this site, I've learned it is a rubber tree burandy. It's in a 6 inch pot with a lot of roots showing. Should I repot.

On Aug 10, 2006, redtailfox3 from Fort Pierce, FL wrote:

This is the first time I've tried this plant,so far it has done fine,will let you know in couple months.It can stand a lot sunshine.It has been in 90'sjuly,august

On May 9, 2006, basilio from Athens
Greece (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is an extremely hardy plant, that can tolerate very low tempetatures and a certain amount of frost, although a long period of time under such conditions can cause some damage to the plant (leaves will probably fall under severe frost, but the plant is likely to recover later). It is one of the most popular outdoors plants in Greece (zones ranging between 7a and 9b) and it can be seen growing happily in pots, in thousand of balconies and yards and occasionally, producing massive trees if planted in the ground and given some years. In the center of Athens there is a huge Ruber Tree squeezed between two buildings, that must be at least 60 ft. high and trully awsome. Although snow is not very common in the city, every now and then trees and plants can be covered by it for a few hours or ... read more

On Mar 3, 2006, Anikke from adelaide
Australia wrote:

This plant grows well in containers at the edge of a verandah where it recieves full sun until noon in Adelaide, South Australia.

On Jul 5, 2005, kayma from Bradenton, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Have a 20' tree next to our pool cage. Grows like a weed! Have started several new plants from cuttings. Very hardy in our area (9b) as there are several growing in the wild.

On Oct 28, 2003, amorning1 from Islamorada, FL wrote:

I have seen one growing robust like a champ in zone 9A. Growing wild on the sunny side of a building. Its about 8ft tall! Needless to say I was suprised to see it that far north. Many experts keep telling me the same "Its all about micro climate." What determines a plant's ability to withstand cold is thier molecular cell's ability to expand and contract with the hot and cold without bursting.

On Aug 23, 2003, House from London, KY wrote:

A beautiful tree, mine gets close to 9 feet before it breaks. Readily roots. A little 'leaf shine' will enhance the look of the plant.