Jumping Cholla, Hanging Chain Cholla, Chain Fruit Cholla, Cholla Brincadora, Velas de Coyote

Cylindropuntia fulgida

Family: Cactaceae (kak-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Cylindropuntia (sil-in-drop-UN-shee-uh) (Info)
Species: fulgida (FUL-jih-duh) (Info)
Synonym:Opuntia fulgida
Synonym:Cylindropuntia fulgida var. fulgida

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Fuchsia (Red-Purple)

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Ajo, Arizona

Arivaca, Arizona

Bullhead City, Arizona

Gilbert, Arizona

Hereford, Arizona

Kearny, Arizona

Peridot, Arizona

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)

Tucson, Arizona (2 reports)

Wellton, Arizona

Kermit, Texas

Lubbock, Texas

Spicewood, Texas

On Mar 28, 2010, JohnTS71 from San Antonio, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant loves the south texas soil. This plant has a rapid growth rate and will produce tons of arms once its established. I recently pruned around 50 arms and gave them out to people I know who wanted this unique cacti. My plant has not bloomed yet though.

On Mar 18, 2010, ogrejelly from Gilbert, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

As Palmbob indicates there is nothing worse than getting one of these in you. I have had them go right through a hiking boot and once in they barb and make it impossible to pull out. Anything they touch they will get stuck to.

I do however contend that this is a beautiful cactus. When the morning or evening light hits the Jumping Cholla spines, they light up with a glow unlike any plant I have seen. In areas where they grow prolifically like on Route 60 near just past Gold Canyon, AZ they create an amazing environment when mixed with saguaro and ocotillo. I think it is one of the most beautiful desert environments I have seen. .

On May 27, 2007, Theboneman from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

Although it has lots of spines as well as it seems to jump at you when you get to close to it, it is a really cool plant the is good to have in the background as well as it is good at keeping the dogs from pooping in your yard. :)
I like it a lot and wish that my parents would let me grow more. I love all types of chollas so if you know of any good ones let me know.

The Boneman

On Aug 21, 2004, randi_rives from Lubbock, TX (Zone 7a) wrote:

This a very stickery plant, but it's spring blooms are awesome. Little bees love it. It is easy to keep trimmed up and it never has to be watered.

works well in my cacti garden. just watch your backside :)

On Jun 8, 2004, Xenomorf from Valley of the Sun, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

AKA, Hanging Chain Cholla, chain fruit cholla, cholla brincadora, velas de coyote.

I've seen this growing in the wild surrounding Phoenix; in Oro Valley, AZ and on the 'El Camino Del Diablo Trail' (Devils' Highway) that runs between Ajo and Wellton, Arizona in the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge.
Also seen these growing in the wild on the West Ruby Road Trail in Arizona (South of Tucson), off of Interstate 19 through to Ruby, AZ and on to Arivaca, AZ.

On Nov 1, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Also known as Cholla or jumping cholla back in New Mexico where I grew up, this is one of the least garden-friendly plants I can think of and would strongly advise against growing it unless you have a pain wish. There are many times I can think why this cactus was aptly named, having hiked thousands of miles about the high deserts and been nailed by this plant even though I was sure I had clearance of it. The spines are very well barbed and nearly impossible to pull out intact. It takes months for your body to finally eject the spine, if ever. Just brush up against it and an entire leaf full of spines will immediately unattach itself from the mother plant and stick into you. It's in this way it ends up all over the place because it roots whereever the leaf falls. And it's not that gr... read more