Succulent Sesame

Uncarina grandidieri

Family: Pedaliaceae
Genus: Uncarina (un-kar-ee-nuh) (Info)
Species: grandidieri (gran-dee-dee-ER-ee) (Info)

Blooms all year

Direct sow as soon as the ground can be worked

Hayward, California

Thousand Oaks, California

Naples, Florida

Port Saint Lucie, Florida

Sarasota, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida

On Sep 18, 2015, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

I bought a small plant labeled as U.peltata in June of instead turned out to be U. grandidieri.
It grew very well all last summer from June to the end of summer. Bloomed most of the late summer. Last year we had warm autumn rains and the leaves seem to rot from them putting the plant in dormancy for the winter.
By spring of this year 2015,it had been tip nipped by a light frost from the winter,but regrew.
Only,it never bloomed this year. I did pot it up and it has a nicely developing fat trunk and a full crown of foliage.
Its outdoors 24/7 in the SF bay area's z10a. I don't have plans to plant it yet. Maybe if it becomes a few feet tall,I might risk it. As it is ,it makes a great looking potted plant- so no hurry.

On Jun 23, 2014, MSMoore from Claremont, CA wrote:

My husband and I went to visit the LA Arboretum a couple of weeks ago and we both fell in love with this plant. It is a very interesting and beautiful plant. Since we have uprooted all our roses, we have switched to cactus and succulents and this would be a wonderful addition (if not to be the centerpiece) of our garden.

Besides, my husband has become kind of obsessed with it.

So I wonder if anyone knows where I can buy a plant (or seeds)?

On Aug 7, 2009, Dutchlady1 from Naples, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I have been growing this plant in a pot in my lanai for about 3 years and it was doing very nicely, but was clearly ready to be given more space. Since I planted it in the ground in my yard it has tripled in size and is getting too big for my yard!!
I enjoy this rare and unusual plant which requires very little care and blooms frequently.

On Jan 20, 2008, Kell from Northern California, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have a small one of these for over a year now and it is so easy. I keep it inside where it has tolerated such neglect. As soon as I pay it a little attention like repotting it or fertilizing, it recovers and puts out tons of new growth.