Common Garlic
Allium sativum

Family: Alliaceae
Genus: Allium (AL-ee-um) (Info)
Species: sativum (sa-TEE-vum) (Info)
» View all varieties of Onions and Garlic

Bulbs

Vegetables

Herbs

Inconspicuous/none

Aromatic

This plant is resistant to deer

By dividing the bulb's scales

Heflin, Alabama

Irving, Texas

Fredericksburg, Virginia

On Sep 30, 2012, BruceandBobsGar from Hillsboro, OR wrote:

Hi,
I started a message about garlic but seemed that I delete it by mistake. So here goes with another try.
I plan to grow garlic in raised beds 46" wide. I have sloping sides as I just shovel up the beds prior to planting. I plan to water with tubes between all the rows but not outside the outside row of garlic.
How far apart should I make the rows and how far apart should I plant the cloves? I would like to get as many plants in each bed as I can but I still want good growth and large heads. I will add fertilizer during the growth to help it grow large.
Thanks for any suggestions that you can send me.
bdow80@frontier.com

On Jul 5, 2012, Thebotanyboss from Johnson City, TN wrote:

Very nice flavor.Garlic has always been an excellent plant to add to the garden.I have also used it as a decorative element.

On Jan 12, 2012, Bloomfly22 from Palmdale, CA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Wonderful plant! I never am disappointed with it. I always get nice sized bulbs from it.

On Nov 15, 2007, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Planting garlic is terribly easy. Something to dig with is all you need to get started. If you have a speed drill, planting garlic will be a breeze!

Attach a paddle bit to your speed drill. Use a size that will allow the garlic width to fit into the hole you will produce by using the bit. For example, most common garlic cloves are generally not over 1
wide, so you could use a paddle bit of that size. Drill a hole three times as deep as the clove is long. It is easier to drill all of your holes, then plant. Once your holes are all drilled, push just a bit of the soil back into the hole, then push the garlic clove into the hole.

Youll want to plant the clove so that the flat end is down in the hole and the little pointy part is sticking up. Press the ... read more

On Jan 13, 2004, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

I read that garlic was a good companion plant for both roses and fruit trees, so when I saw a big fat bulb that was starting to show little green sprouts at a local grocery store this Fall, I brought it home, broke it up and poked the little cloves into the soil around my two antique rose bushes and around the trunk of my Brown Turkey fig, which are in the same bed. The garlic is suppose to repel pests from both the roses and any fruit trees.

I was quite surprised at how fast the garlic shot up out of the ground and reached a height of a foot or more in less than six weeks. It has survived our few frosts--the lowest at my place has been 28, so far, here in Northcentral Florida, zone 8b, We had a wonderfully long Indian Summer, and even the Winter has been quite mild--agai... read more

On Jan 12, 2004, ButterflyDust from Riverside, CA wrote:

Planting garlic or onions are a great and safe way to keep gophers away from your garden plants.

On Jan 22, 2003, lupinelover from Grove City, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Garlic is one of the simplest plants to grow. Plant the clove an inch or less beneath the soil in fall. New leaves will appear before winter, then in the spring they will grow quickly to 18" tall. Bulbs are ready to harvest when the leaves start to brown.

Garlic does not flower; some varieties form a flower stalk that produces bulblets in the summer. These can be eaten or planted. Allowing the flower stalk to remain can reduce the quality of the flowering bulb.